Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There are multiple ways in which one can interpret "HSS":
  1. a flash emits a long burst (rather than a short pulse).
  2. the camera provides a pre-sync signal to the flash in order to avoid a delayed flash and hence a black bar in the frame.
  3. both of the above.
  4. the P-TTL variant of HSS (using optical triggering, a pre-flash and 3.)
The Godox AD 360 supports 1.

The Cactus V6II makes the camera provide 2.

If one put an AD 360 on a V6II receiver then I'm pretty sure even the HSS sync-mode on the V6II would be supported. But the fact that the OP can't use HSS sync-mode does not seem to matter; PowerSync seems to be working just fine. Given that the V6II does not control the power level of the AD360, the fact that the V6II requests full power when the shutter speed is over the sync speed does not hurt.

@sbroadbentphoto
Have you tried selecting "Nikon" as the flash system on your on-camera V6II? That appears to help when using a trigger stack approach.
I dont feel that there were any problems I need fixing?

---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 10:47 PM ----------

jeez I made and shared the video to help people achieve something that I had wanted for ages. Fact is, it allows us to reach max 1/8000sec sync speeds. No it doesnt allow Pttl but it doesnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. The technicalities are pointless with the names as I have explained exactly what the outcome is. Full flash coverage at 1/8000 shutter speed with a hss capable flash. If you want to find these other little things out, you can buy one and find out for yourself.
No good deed goes unpunished I suppose....

---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 10:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
I dont feel that there were any problems I need fixing?

---------- Post added 12-09-16 at 10:47 PM ----------

jeez I made and shared the video to help people achieve something that I had wanted for ages. Fact is, it allows us to reach max 1/8000sec sync speeds. No it doesnt allow Pttl but it doesnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. The technicalities are pointless with the names as I have explained exactly what the outcome is. Full flash coverage at 1/8000 shutter speed with a hss capable flash. If you want to find these other little things out, you can buy one and find out for yourself.
No good deed goes unpunished I suppose....
CLASS A, Your explanation is spot on :-) and I didnt mean for that rant to be a reply to your comment

Last edited by sbroadbentphoto; 12-09-2016 at 04:53 AM.
12-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Its a good demo of a method to achieve flash sync beyond the camera's max-sync figure, when using a fully manual studio strobe, and thanks for doing it . The flexibility of the Cactus V6II in allowing this with a wide range of non-TTL strobes is well known and appreciated around here, so good demonstrations of it working are always a positive thing to see.

How we define HSS is a different matter ..... we've had this discussion before, but my own 'feeling' is that the term 'HSS' is inextricably linked to the technology of continuous pulses emitted by flashes and strobes in order to illuminate the whole frame evenly when the camera shutter is operating beyond the 'max-sync speed' .... this invariably involves engaging a special 'sync mode' on the device (eg 'HS Sync' on a Pentax flash, or 'HSS Sympathy Mode' on a Cactus RF60). I can't of course universally decree that this is the official worldwide definition of 'HSS' ....
But , surely it does have the benefit of clarity and consistency.... ?

And what we see here on this demo is a manual strobe operating at full power using the technique of 'hyper-sync' to light the whole frame. The Cactus term for this is 'Power-Sync', a mode that needs to be engaged on the transceiver I believe. I would say it like this ...'the Cactus V6II uses its 'Power-Sync' mode in order to fire a manual strobe using the 'Hyper-Sync approach'. This is distinct from HSS ... again I find this a neat kind of distinction and definition...... how do others feel ?
12-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #18

Original Poster
this particular brand of manual flash can do it at 1/8th power to full power. I have not yet tested how it will do without activating the hss on the AD360. I assume I will get somewhere around 1/2000-1/4000 before I see the curtain. I might play with that today to see how fast I can go at how low power and report back.
12-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #19
Banned

I've read it and am not sure whether the English in the manual or the cryptic LED feedback from the trigger is more unintelligible.

What do you mean by "something more advanced"?
Oh, So if one manage to use that way in the manual and become nature. then he must be a genius ?

Come ClassA, that is really not that hard.

Using the 2 keys(in fact 3), and 5 LEDs( in fact 10 ) to do the same work as a tiny LCDs dand dials.

It is black science. I think it is very interesting.

I've read it and am not sure whether the English in the manual or the cryptic LED feedback from the trigger is more unintelligible.

I also know that the current version of the Acon trigger requires one to use elaborate long/short button press maneuvers because it lacks the hardware controls (lack of display included) to support intuitive and comfortable usage.

What do you mean by "something more advanced"?
Don't dodged. If you don't understand the words, There is a big figure in the manual showing exatly placing a godox 'phone' on top of the transmitter to trigger a remote studio flash. called TX mode.

and you just denied and said it need a TTL strobe.

This is very old technics implemented by the acon trigger. I don't think it worth any more excitment.

What ridiculous is, it make nearly twice of price. and twice of size. see. cover all top of K1, like discus throw or sandwich? and Manual Only.

The acon triger without very rich interface. that is OK. it need not. it is for TTL comfortable. just give the control of power to the ligt meter inside the camera.

and concentrate on other most important parts. work more efficiently and happily.

some times manual is needed. the interface is Ok for 8 stops fixed ouput and 3 groups. it is not so easy but not so hard to operate. for one group, very easy. 2, OK. 3, yes it is a little hard. but work.

For some really need so many groups then there is one, R930T. the most wonderful for flash geek, who would use 26 groups Manual flash for HSS.

The most advanced part of the R930T is. TTL light meter. it make the work with manual made much easier. AFAIK. There is only one other flash maker implement this technic.

Can some one kindly tell me which one and which model?

12-10-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
Oh, So if one manage to use that way in the manual and become nature. then he must be a genius ?

Come ClassA, that is really not that hard.

Using the 2 keys(in fact 3), and 5 LEDs( in fact 10 ) to do the same work as a tiny LCDs dand dials.

It is black science. I think it is very interesting.

Don't dodged. If you don't understand the words, There is a big figure in the manual showing exatly placing a godox 'phone' on top of the transmitter to trigger a remote studio flash. called TX mode.

and you just denied and said it need a TTL strobe.

This is very old technics implemented by the acon trigger. I don't think it worth any more excitment.

What ridiculous is, it make nearly twice of price. and twice of size. see. cover all top of K1, like discus throw or sandwich? and Manual Only.

The acon triger without very rich interface. that is OK. it need not. it is for TTL comfortable. just give the control of power to the ligt meter inside the camera.

and concentrate on other most important parts. work more efficiently and happily.

some times manual is needed. the interface is Ok for 8 stops fixed ouput and 3 groups. it is not so easy but not so hard to operate. for one group, very easy. 2, OK. 3, yes it is a little hard. but work.

For some really need so many groups then there is one, R930T. the most wonderful for flash geek, who would use 26 groups Manual flash for HSS.

The most advanced part of the R930T is. TTL light meter. it make the work with manual made much easier. AFAIK. There is only one other flash maker implement this technic.

Can some one kindly tell me which one and which model?

I think you have it confused. The flash system is manual only. The cactus can do everything provided the flash is capable.
12-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

sbroadbentphoto,

Thanks very much for posting the video. That Godox unit interests me. Just learning about them. It looks like you have the Mark i version that required that separate receiver to be plugged into it?

How do you like the AD360 outside of HSS?

I currently use multiple Yongnuo 560 flashes for basketball. The issue I have with them is that in order to get a recycle time down to 1/2 second, I need to go between 1/2 and 1/4 power, which doesn't give me the power I'm looking for. I was hoping that with the AD360, if I went to 1/4 power, that would be the light equivelent of full power of the Yongnuo with fast recycling. Could you tell me what the recycle time is at 1/2 and 1/4 power? Thanks.
12-15-2016, 03:19 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
sbroadbentphoto,

Thanks very much for posting the video. That Godox unit interests me. Just learning about them. It looks like you have the Mark i version that required that separate receiver to be plugged into it?

How do you like the AD360 outside of HSS?

I currently use multiple Yongnuo 560 flashes for basketball. The issue I have with them is that in order to get a recycle time down to 1/2 second, I need to go between 1/2 and 1/4 power, which doesn't give me the power I'm looking for. I was hoping that with the AD360, if I went to 1/4 power, that would be the light equivelent of full power of the Yongnuo with fast recycling. Could you tell me what the recycle time is at 1/2 and 1/4 power? Thanks.
Yest it is the mk1 version. Just tested at 1/4 power. The first 2 pops were instantaneous and the next were between 1/2 and 1/4 of a sec between bursts

12-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Yest it is the mk1 version. Just tested at 1/4 power. The first 2 pops were instantaneous and the next were between 1/2 and 1/4 of a sec between bursts
Thanks very much for testing that. Would you recommend it to people?
12-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Thanks very much for testing that. Would you recommend it to people?
I love it. I would recommend it to people depending on their needs. It is small and light but requires more setting up than a speedlight. It is powerful for it's size but recycle time at full power is 2 to 2.5 seconds. I absolutely love being able to control the power from the transmitter on camera. I also really love that the godox latest range is completely integrated with their trigger system. This means that the next lights I buy will all be Godox. I already have two V850 lithium Ion speedlights and love them. The battery for all of them lasts for an outstanding amount of shots.

I am toying with whether I need to get the AD600BM for the extra power. I am thinking I need it less now that I have HSS working. I haven't tried the AD360 at my favourite portrait shooting time with my big softbox, so I don't know if I need more power yet.