Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've lost track of things on this one .... Has anyone got proof that the Cactus V6II triggers work with this Shanny model for off-camera HSS?
Here you go!

08-01-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

That's great to see, thanks. Consolation for those who hoped that Shanny would release their own trigger system for P-TTL/ HSS ......

It's still a budget flash, and owners now know that it can become so much more versatile off camera with the help of the V6II system. The issue for many will be that the V6II is not seen as a budget choice to match the Shanny .... Such are the dilemmas in life! I do hope it will encourage a good number to stop waiting for stuff that won't ever happen and just get going with taking great looking HSS flash images
08-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's great to see, thanks. Consolation for those who hoped that Shanny would release their own trigger system for P-TTL/ HSS ......

It's still a budget flash, and owners now know that it can become so much more versatile off camera with the help of the V6II system. The issue for many will be that the V6II is not seen as a budget choice to match the Shanny .... Such are the dilemmas in life! I do hope it will encourage a good number to stop waiting for stuff that won't ever happen and just get going with taking great looking HSS flash images
I do agree, and unfortunately budget is all about perspective when it comes to these things.
In realistic terms, A pair of Cactus V6II triggers and the Shanny flash will cost less together than 1 Pentax AF 540 FGZ or similarly priced flash. Nevermind having to also add to that price for "budget" triggers that will allow output control AND hss.
Personally, I think the Shanny and Cactus Combo is an extremely strong value proposition, which is really how these things should be evaluated.
08-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Good value for those who need an on-camera P-TTL model as well as being able to take it off camera and retain all its TTL and HSS functions. Getting a single Shanny with the V6IIs answers that need well

Then for additional off-camera flashes to build up the system, perhaps the RF60x makes more sense with it's built in receiver....?

08-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #95
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Neither Shanny (who must be with a cactus) nor RF60X for Pentax is a solution - it would be an AF 540 FGZ solution with a built-in transmitter and radio receiver and a separate Pentax TX / RX. It is a pity that the company does not notice users with flash ...
This solution is good for amateurs, unfortunately cuts the Pro segment ...
08-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #96
Veteran Member

How much would you be willing to pay for an OEM Pentax dedicated P-TTL Radio system (special trigger or built in to the flagship DSLRs), plus the new flash unit with built in radio receiver? And how about if you needed more than one flash ? (not much point in such a system for only one flash ....).

Let's bear in mind the price of the Canon equivalents, plus the mostly frugal nature of Pentax flashers.

Cactus offers all of this now at a mid price range. I would love to have beautiful Pentax Radio flash equipment to match up with my Pentax lenses and camera, it would all look so nice together ..... But will Ricoh market researchers ever be able to have the confidence to develop it?
08-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
Neither Shanny (who must be with a cactus) nor RF60X for Pentax is a solution - it would be an AF 540 FGZ solution with a built-in transmitter and radio receiver and a separate Pentax TX / RX. It is a pity that the company does not notice users with flash ...
This solution is good for amateurs, unfortunately cuts the Pro segment ...
Technically speaking, your solution isn't "pro segment" either by your own definition. Not to mention that what your wish list consists of, just doesn't exist... Yet.
Even if it did, the only difference would really be a modelling light/video LED on the Pentax Flash and a built in radio.
All things considered, a Shanny SN600FGZ with 2 Cactus Triggers is 95% the same as a Pentax AF 540 FGZ with... You guessed it! Cactus triggers!
Now, keep in mind, any Pentax P-TTL compatible HSS trigger would work on either a 360, 540 or SN600FGZ. Is it the Cactus brand that makes it less pro? I just don't understand where the less pro part factors in.
There are quite a number of pro's who use flashes, I don't see how using Cactus Triggers with an RF60, RF60X, AF 540 FGZ, Shanny SN600FGZ, or heck, a Canon, Nikon, Sigma, NIssin, Olympus etc Flash automatically becomes less "pro".
I guess to actually be a "pro" we should all run out and just by 600+ watt Lithium powered strobes. Unless you want to walk around with battery packs.
Or maybe I'm just naive and don't get anything...

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 10:30 PM ----------

How much would you be willing to pay for an OEM Pentax dedicated P-TTL Radio system (special trigger or built in to the flagship DSLRs), plus the new flash unit with built in radio receiver? And how about if you needed more than one flash ? (not much point in such a system for only one flash ....).

Let's bear in mind the price of the Canon equivalents, plus the mostly frugal nature of Pentax flashers.

Cactus offers all of this now at a mid price range. I would love to have beautiful Pentax Radio flash equipment to match up with my Pentax lenses and camera, it would all look so nice together ..... But will Ricoh market researchers ever be able to have the confidence to develop it?
I agree and they may not actually have the resources to create a trigger, but hopefully since they've warmed up to having engineers work with PIXEL to make a trigger (unfortunately it only works with their own strobe) other 3rd party companies will be able to develop solutions. The only other issue is market share, we simply are a very small market compared to CaNikOny so the return on investment just isn't there to make it a viable business ROI for many 3rd parties. It sucks and we can wish all we want, but at least Cactus somehow pulled it off and saw the value and at the end of the day, we should all be happy about that given the features of the Cactus Trigger system.

08-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
they may not actually have the resources to create a trigger
Ricoh certainly have the resources - technical, financial etc - just not the will to build radio capabilities into their flash system. Yet.

But, encouragingly, have also shown a willingness to work directly with third parties - eg Phottix - to make P-TTL radio triggers possible. Pic related

http://journal.phottix.com/photo-accessory-news/phottix-announces-odin-ii-version-pentax/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1396272-REG/phottix_ph89080_odin_ii_ttl_trigger.html

So maybe in future Ricoh will offer it's own branded radio triggers. It clearly knows how it all might work.

And not only Cactus or Phottix, but also Priolite and CononMark are also now doing P-TTL/HSS radio triggers ...

https://priolite.us/product/prio-remote-hs/

http://flashhavoc.com/cononmark-abc-transmitter-for-fuji-pentax-announced/

At some point the slow-pokes at Ricoh will understand that there is demand for this capability in Pentax land.

Last edited by rawr; 08-03-2018 at 09:47 PM.
08-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ricoh certainly have the resources - technical, financial etc - just not the will to build radio capabilities into their flash system. Yet.

But, encouragingly, have also shown a willingness to work directly with third parties - eg Phottix - to make P-TTL radio triggers possible. Pic related

So maybe in future Ricoh will offer it's own branded radio triggers. It clearly knows how it all might work.

And not only Cactus or Phottix, but also Priolite and CononMark are also now doing P-TTL/HSS radio triggers ...

At some point the slow-pokes at Ricoh will understand that there is demand for this capability in Pentax land.
Do these triggers work with any PTTL flash? Are there receivers available?
08-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do these triggers work with any PTTL flash? Are there receivers available?
They only work with their own Phottix Strobes.
08-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

http://journal.phottix.com/photo-accessory-news/phottix-announces-odin-ii-version-pentax/
Phottix Odin II TTL Flash Trigger Transmitter for Pentax PH89080

CONONMARK ABC – TTL Transmitter For FUJI & PENTAX Announced | FLASH HAVOC

It may be too late. They should have jumped on providing Pentax compatibility before the others were able to adopt a solution. I would argue that if I were Ricoh and saw that there were suitable triggers and receivers in the market to support my cameras, and that I couldn't bring TX/RX modules to the market that had a better value/price ratio than what is available, I would stay out.

To my mind, the most obvious hole in the trigger product capabilities that a digital camera manufacturer would be best suited to deal with would be a trigger module with a detector array that could, in concert with data provided by the camera, e.g., lens T/# -- this could be a user input for no-contact lenses, EV compensation, and ISO) provide A-TTL flash detection and wireless lamp quench control. (This assumes that A-TTL brings enough added capability over P-TTL to be worth it. Ref. Adam's comments on this page: Pentax 645Z Review - Flash | PentaxForums.com Reviews.) In other words, at least for the A-TTL Pentax flashes, do what home-run or daisy-chained 5P cables can do over shorter distances.
08-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phottix Odin II TTL Flash Trigger Transmitter for Pentax PH89080

CONONMARK ABC – TTL Transmitter For FUJI & PENTAX Announced | FLASH HAVOC

My bad, it's not PIXEL. It was Phottix I was thinking of. Too bad it only works wuth their Strobes though...
08-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Kaseki, an interesting post, but you really have left me well behind ..... Could you clarify a bit please. .....A-TTL ? I'm just not sure what you mean. It sounds like you're talking about automatic wireless flash control with Manual aperture lenses?

Are you thinking Radio comms?

It seems unlikely that Ricoh would head that way, interesting as it sounds.
08-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
They only work with their own Phottix Strobes.
Too bad. I think those are pricey items.
08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kaseki, an interesting post, but you really have left me well behind ..... Could you clarify a bit please. .....A-TTL ? I'm just not sure what you mean. It sounds like you're talking about automatic wireless flash control with Manual aperture lenses?

Are you thinking Radio comms?

It seems unlikely that Ricoh would head that way, interesting as it sounds.
Sorry; I meant analog TTL -- that archaic technology the ancients used.