Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No cheap HSS triggers, but basic triggers work ok.

06-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #77
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
No cheap HSS triggers, but basic triggers work ok.
Yeah I can’t seem to even get basic ones to work....
06-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I've lost track of things on this one .... Has anyone got proof that the Cactus V6II triggers work with this Shanny model for off-camera HSS?
06-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
I would also like to know the answer to this one.... And does the Cactus V6ii fire the Pentax AF540FGZ off camera, in P-TTL ? May have to finally get one (or 3) if it does and give this god forsaken TTL a go...

06-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #80
Veteran Member

The Pentax 540 models are known to work with the V6II system, with both the multi-brand and "X-TTL" versions. Pschute uses this mix and reports good results, and there are others also. It's not an economic approach if you are starting out however, because of the need for receiver triggers also, but for those who already have one or two Pentax flashes then sure, a good way to go.

If the Shanny was known to work well also with the V6II system then that would be more cost effective, however for those who need new flashes as well I think the Cactus RF60x offers the most convenient and economic solution, with a single V6II as Tx.
06-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've lost track of things on this one .... Has anyone got proof that the Cactus V6II triggers work with this Shanny model for off-camera HSS?
Yes, right here. Used it for a week straight when I borrowed my friends V6II's right after my Shanny arrived. Tested it against the Yongnuo 585EX and the Metz I believe it was the 50-Af 1 (the touch screen model, whichever that was). The Shanny worked just as reliably as the Metz in HSS but the Shanny had better overall exposure control. Obviously I couldn't use the Yongnuo in HSS. I also used the passthrough to fire HSS from the V6II mounted on camera to the Metz and Vice versa. Not one hiccup.

---------- Post added 06-18-18 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lewvanbommel Quote
Yeah I can’t seem to even get basic ones to work....
I use Commlite Comtrig G430-N triggers (NIkon version). For a basic trigger with channel and group control they work great and even wake the flash up while being off camera. Just no HSS or advanced features.
06-19-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #82

Thanks for the swift replies guys.. I already have TTL flash guns in Pentax and Shanny. I agree the Cactus trigger system becomes ridiculessly expensive.. So I bought the yongnuo YN560IV's and TX560 trigger. Though they arnt TTL and cant HSS

06-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #83
Forum Member

On Shanna's website there are only flashes for canon and nikon.
Shenzhen Shanny Photography Optical Equipment Co.,ltd
There are also radio triggers but it looks like they would only be to canon?
Is it possible that they also work with Pentax?
06-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
On Shanna's website there are only flashes for canon and nikon.
There are also radio triggers but it looks like they would only be to canon?
Shanny is still in business!!! On their FB page they just announced a new flash for Canon/Nikon (go figure). I don't know how their protocol works on their triggers. If going into manual mode disables the pins for E-TTL/I-TTL then it should work on our bodies. However, if it doesn't disable the pins, I don't know what that would do to our Hotshoe. The other thing is that I'm not sure if it's a wireless radio system that only works with Shanny Flashes or if it would also work with Nikon/Canon flashes. Since there's no radio protocol for Pentax, none of the Shanny triggers would work for our system directly.
06-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
My guess is that the triggers might make the flash fire, but Pentax specific features (P-TTL etc) will not work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Since there's no radio protocol for Pentax, none of the Shanny triggers would work for our system directly.
On the subject of protocols, if you look at existing Pentax radio triggers like the Acon triggers, they don't do much more (it seems) than emulate a dumb hot-shoe extension cable, using WiFi as the data transport between camera hotshoe and flash. Just standard data networking tech at work, not fancy flash protocols. So if the P-TTL protocol hasn't been revised to include radio support, maybe that's not really the road-block for trigger makers.
06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My guess is that the triggers might make the flash fire, but Pentax specific features (P-TTL etc) will not work.

On the subject of protocols, if you look at existing Pentax radio triggers like the Acon triggers, they don't do much more (it seems) than emulate a dumb hot-shoe extension cable, using WiFi as the data transport between camera hotshoe and flash. Just standard data networking tech at work, not fancy flash protocols. So if the P-TTL protocol hasn't been revised to include radio support, maybe that's not really the road-block for trigger makers.
That's not what I meant. I meant that Shanny's other flashes that have built in radio's won't receive Pentax specific instructions from any of their triggers because they are all either Nikon or Canon TTL protocols. There is no radio built into the SN600FGZ. I'm not even sure in Manual mode if the trigger would fire (does it disable the TTL pins?).
For example, If I mount my Comtrig G430 trigger (Nikon version) on my hotshoe and mount the flash onto the trigger, the Shanny will never fire. It only fires off camera with the Comtrig G430 receiver (flash will also wake up remotely).
However, if I mount my Vivitar 383 Series-1 P-TTL flash to the same trigger, it will actually fire. So again, it seems that however Shanny went about this, they did it their own special way. Probably why they also state that their system will not work with Yongnuo equipment. I can't recall specifically what equipment it was but I do recall them saying Yongnuo is not compatible and vice versa.

Last edited by Kobie; 07-06-2018 at 02:52 PM.
07-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
That's not what I meant. I meant that Shanny's other flashes that have built in radio's won't receive Pentax specific instructions from any of their triggers because they are all either Nikon or Canon TTL protocols. There is no radio built into the SN600FGZ. I'm not even sure in Manual mode if the trigger would fire (does it disable the TTL pins?).
For example, If I mount my Comtrig G430 trigger (Nikon version) on my hotshoe and mount the flash onto the trigger, the Shanny will never fire. It only fires off camera with the Comtrig G430 receiver (flash will also wake up remotely).
However, if I mount my Vivitar 383 Series-1 P-TTL flash to the same trigger, it will actually fire. So again, it seems that however Shanny went about this, they did it their own special way. Probably why they also state that their system will not work with Yongnuo equipment. I can't recall specifically what equipment it was but I do recall them saying Yongnuo is not compatible and vice versa.
I finally received confirmation from Shanny.
There are no plans to release a Pentax radio trigger. Booooooo!!!!!!!!
I'll see if they answer regarding use of their other triggers on Pentax bodies though.
07-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Yep, I contacted them a while back and got the same response also.

Not sure what's so difficult about the Pentax PTTL HSS system, but it's not well supported in the 3rd party world.
07-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

Not sure what's so difficult about the Pentax PTTL HSS system,
Nothing.

Reverse engineering using an oscilloscope is exactly the same as E-TTL and I-TTL.

All three systems pretty much work the same way with controller and slaves, and have changed little over the years.

But Pentax market share is so small, why would a company bother with a production run of thousands for anyone but Canon and Nikon? You might add in Sony.

Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic owners have a similar lack of choices.

Last edited by clackers; 07-10-2018 at 12:59 PM.
07-29-2018, 08:20 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
My friend just dropped off his Cactus V6II transceivers so I'll be doing an off camera Shanny flash HSS video this week. Hopefully as early as tomorrow.