Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do these triggers work with any PTTL flash? Are there receivers available?
The Priolite and Phottix radio triggers work with with advanced features like P-TTL and HSS support only with their own brand specific studio and location flashes/ receivers (as best I can tell). Ditto for the Cononmark triggers. But all of them will no doubt remotely fire any old flash in manual mode, FWIW.

Cactus triggers like the v6 II are - for the moment at least - the only radio triggers likely to work with multi-brand flash gear (Metz, Pentax, Sigma, YN etc) whilst also supporting advanced flash features like P-TTL, flash power control etc (if the flash hardware itself supports those modes).

The Acon R930 radio triggers offer direct P-TTL flash support for multiple flash brands. But they are hard to get nowadays.

08-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Sorry; I meant analog TTL -- that archaic technology the ancients used.
mcgregni: Upon rereading your tome, I would like to supplement my comment above by noting that what I was conceptualizing might qualify as auto-data-fill auto-A mode, except that it would potentially apply to an array of flashes controlled wirelessly via RF RX triggers and receivers. Sort of a Cactus V6II TX with a detector and TTL processing, and with the RX mode modules capable of strobe quenching upon command. I think that the Cactus units do dynamic quenching anyway when remotely controlled to one of the various power settings, else they would be limited to the power settings native to the particular flash head. However, at present I suspect that the RX modules just receive the required power setting from the TX module and use a timer to determine quench time based on the flash calibration. And, unfortunately, this conflicts with multi-flash TTL which normally quenches all flashes at once when the total received reflected power meets the desired level, with relative flash power on the subject determined by range, diffusion, etc. So there may be some control issues in this concept that need further thought.
08-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #108
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
For me, it was interesting to have a flash option with built-in radio control for other lamps and receivers with HSS and P-TTL, because I often use the Round Flash Ring lamp attached to the foot of the camera. This allows for the use of Acon or Cactus, but Phottix Odin not.
For obvious reasons, I also prefer to avoid fixing the flash on a cactus or other type of transmitter, because such a construction ceases to be stable - it is easy to damage any of the elements. Therefore, in the outdoors I am often forced to use either only the HSS lamp on the camera (which strongly limits the range of this lamp) or even giving up HSS and using manual control over the radio or P-TTL triggered by the flash of the Master lamp.
In addition, 600Ws and more powerful lamps are needed to use HSS - and there are no such lamps in the Pentax system. And that's what I meant by writing about skipping professionals by the lack of a system radio solution.
02-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #109

Hello!
I bought Shanny SN600FGZ.
But I have a problem.
My camera is K-S2. The flash does not work in p-ttl mode.
There are no problems with the Pentax Q10 and Pentax K200D.
I want to ask someone who has a Pentax K-S2 and Shanny SN600FGZ. And how is the P-ttl mode in it?
Is the flash and KS2 incompatible?

02-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Why do you believe P-TTL is not working? What exactly are you doing, and with what settings and equipment (ie lens), when it does not work as you expect?
02-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #111

I tested several lenses-DA 70/2.4 DA35/2.4 FA50/1.4 DAL 18-50 Tamron 100/2.8 Tamron 17-50/2.8
Frames are heavily overexposed.
I need to insert flash exposure Compensation -3EV and -4EV in the camera to get normal exposure at f2,8-f5,6.
As a matter of fact, I'm in a manual mode

Last edited by dsmt; 02-26-2019 at 11:47 AM.
02-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmt Quote
I tested several lenses-DA 70/2.4 DA35/2.4 FA50/1.4 DAL 18-50 Tamron 100/2.8 Tamron 17-50/2.8
Frames are heavily overexposed.
I need to insert flash exposure Compensation -3EV and -4EV in the camera to get normal exposure at f2,8-f5,6.

P-ttl - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91JAiYIrrs&t=16s
What ISO are you using, Aperture, Shutter speed?
You mention
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmt Quote
Do you mean Manual mode on the camera or Manual on the flash?
The flash itself is in P-TTL mode with the little camera icon on the flash display?

02-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #113

A few days ago I have realised that all my problems with sn600 fgz were caused by the automatic horizon correction. Try disabling this function in your your camera. Maybe this will help.
02-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
What ISO are you using, Aperture, Shutter speed?
You mention
Do you mean Manual mode on the camera or Manual on the flash?
The flash itself is in P-TTL mode with the little camera icon on the flash display?
The camera is in AV mode.
I make a series of photos with different ISO and aperture.
K-S2 makes overexposed photos. With Q10 the pictures are properly exposed.

To obtain properly exposed images with К-S2 with Flash in P-ttl mode, you must set -3 exposure correction in the flash , -3, -4 or -5 in the camera and -2 exposure correction the flash in the camera...........I say that the flash is in TTL mode, but in fact it works like a manual flash

Auto Horizon Correction not ON.
02-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the hot shoe on the camera, ensuring that no foreign material is lodged in it. Also make sure that the flash is seating properly in the hot shoe. It may be that the pins on the flash and camera are not lining up properly/completely, so give the flash an extra firm push into the hot shoe.
03-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious to know more about this flash, I'm wanting to know quite simply if when connected to a K-1 or KP it can do 1/1 power in HSS mode rather than being restricted to P-TTL HSS like the Pentax ones are. Do we have anyone that can confirm this yet? (with pics )
03-05-2019, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm curious to know more about this flash, I'm wanting to know quite simply if when connected to a K-1 or KP it can do 1/1 power in HSS mode rather than being restricted to P-TTL HSS like the Pentax ones are. Do we have anyone that can confirm this yet? (with pics )
The flash needs Camera communication for HSS to work, so.... HSS requires P-TTL and you can adjust the output -/+ 3 EV. I have the flash (but a K-3 and K-30) and have shown that the HSS works quite well both on camera and off camera using Cactus V6 II triggers. I've posted the videos on here before but I can link them as a comment if you want to see it actually working outdoors in bright light so you can determine (kind of) if it would be powerful enough for you. It is a pretty powerful flash to be honest.
03-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The flash needs Camera communication for HSS to work, so.... HSS requires P-TTL and you can adjust the output -/+ 3 EV. I have the flash (but a K-3 and K-30) and have shown that the HSS works quite well both on camera and off camera using Cactus V6 II triggers. I've posted the videos on here before but I can link them as a comment if you want to see it actually working outdoors in bright light so you can determine (kind of) if it would be powerful enough for you. It is a pretty powerful flash to be honest.
Thank you Kobie. There seems to be only one flash that will work on a pentax camera that can manage manual mode AND do HSS, which is the Godox TT350P, slightly underpowered. I was hoping this brute might manage that feat as P-TTL errs on the side of fill light rather than key in a lot of situations. I've keen to use my Vello Round Flash box with on camera flash at 1/1 and be able to shoot wide open and on days where I need to pass 1/200 in order to achieve that.

I wrote all about this in this thread over here >> 3rd Party Flash for Pentax that HSS in Manual Mode (from the hot shoe)? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this will help at all, but figured I'd link it anyways.

from 0 to +3 EV HSS.
03-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kobie, thanks for the videos. You mention in the first video something about using HSS in both P-TTL and manual modes. Can you expand a bit about HSS in manual mode as there was nothing in the video about this?

Also the specifications for V6II say it supports power sync (hyper sync). Is this something that works with the Shanny or only with a Cactus flash like the RF60x?