Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Ring Flash Question

Hi all,

This is addressed primarily to K10 users but open to anyone who may have some information. I've been hunting for a macro ring flash for my Pentax K10 for a while now. I have a Pentax A 100 2.8 macro and an urge to slap a ring light on the front of its 58mm threads. A few questions for this well-informed group:

1) Will the old AF 080C work on the K10 without too many headaches? In know it will only be in manual mode with this flash but is it functional without having to jump through several hoops of fire?
2) Does Pentax currently offer any other ring lights? I note on the Boz Pentax page there is an AF140C ring flash. Does anyone have it? Will it work on a K10?
3) Any other manufacturers of ring lights you would recommend?
4) Any other macro flash offerings you are aware of that might work on the K10? It could be a bracket or some other sort of rig.

Thanks in advance. I await the usual flood of great information.

Tom G

07-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, not a flood, maybe a dribble. The flash will work, but you will have to go through the guide number route to expose with it. The flash is TTL which the K10 does not support. [Grumble].
07-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Take care that the trigger voltage is low enough to avoid damage to the camera's electronics. The flash voltage is easy enough to measure with a digital voltmeter. The spec for the camera is a little harder to find. There was some recent discussion on the topic on this forum.

Steve
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #4

The new AF160FC ring flash works TTL with Pentax digital cameras; I just bought one. I also have an AF140 ring flash which is TTL with Pentax film cameras but can be made to work with a K20D or other digital using a 3 stop neutral density filter. To see my experience with these, check out
<http://ken-ericksons.blogspot.com/>. I will sell you my AF140 and neutral density filter for $100

11-13-2017, 02:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ok it will only work in manual mode on K10 but what I did years back foe another lens I had I actually made a chart for it distance f stops and shutter speed I started with a chart from another ring flash then once I established a setting for one position f stop and shutter speed it was pretty easy to work out the rest by just going up and down the scale and I made 3 copies of that and it worked excellent for that ring flash. Don't ask me to do it again that was 20 years ago but if your on the edge with your photography you could make one. I used spread sheets to make the table and fill in all the numbers this one won't work right for 080c but it will give you a base to make your own chart once you get one or two setting correct its only a matter of changing the values by an equal amount each time. good luck with it. or google pentax 080c ring flash chart.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 02:53 AM ----------

The above chart would have been based on a 60 shutter speed so you would need to halve f stop settiongs for a start then work out your focal lengthd or distances I forget what the mm was about. think it was the distance from the job. but that chart works perfect for that flash. not the 080c pentax.

Last edited by Kombivan; 11-13-2017 at 02:52 AM.
11-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok I went and made a chart for you guys I think its pretty close to accurate Might have to even use it myself one day. Distance is in Meters and the squares I missed you can fill them in each square = one stop.
11-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You do realize this thread is nine (9) years old, right?

11-13-2017, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter because someone might want this Chart The first square 0.25 x 200 at F22 could be F29 if so that would mean each one on the chart could go down one stop but try it out see how you go.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 08:59 AM ----------

I have 2 080c ringflashes thats why I visited the thread
11-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for that.

I don't suppose you have a schematic diagram for the AF-080C?

Mine no longer works. It charges and I can get it to trigger when I probe inside but not from the camera. I tried Pentax Japan and their Australian importers but received no reply.
11-15-2017, 05:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had that happen to mine the other night it was somthing to do with the camera doing somthing and while the camera was thinking the flash wouldn't fire. Couldn't find one online even I wouldn't even know if have anything on my old computers.will have a look in a few days time. I doubt that i Have but if I came accross one I would have saved it but I don't recall one.

---------- Post added 11-15-17 at 06:06 AM ----------

I had that happen to mine the other night it was somthing to do with the camera doing somthing and while the camera was thinking the flash wouldn't fire. Couldn't find one online even I wouldn't even know if have anything on my old computers.will have a look in a few days time. I doubt that i Have but if I came across one I would have saved it but I don't recall one.

Pentax Flashes, AF280t, af200s, af200t, Pentax AF220T, af160, AF330FTZ, pentax AF 360 FGZ, Pentax AF 400T, Pentax AF 500 FTZ instruction manual, Pentax flash instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/pentax_af080c.pdf

wiring diagram AF-080C flash - Google Search

Your ready connector on the hot shoe might not be working

wiring diagram AF-080C pentax - Google Search

---------- Post added 11-15-17 at 06:07 AM ----------

last link best try I cant reas d schematics