Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 824
Monolight Battery Pack Recommendations

Hello everyone,

I finally went ahead and purchased the Flashpoint 1220M Monolight that was on sale. I received it the other day and I was really impressed with the amount of power it has. I didn't purchase a battery pack because I wasn't sure if I'd need one. I still don't know if I'll need one, but I figure I should try to find out about them in case I ever do decide to buy one. I tried doing my research but had no luck understanding what I was looking for.

I guess my questions are:

1) Are battery packs universal? I noticed a lot of them seem to be for specific models, but I'm not sure if they're just made that way for branding purposes or if you need different battery packs for different brands of monolights.
2) If they are universal, what would be a good battery pack I could use with different strobes (multiple brands like Flashpoint M Mount, Alien Bees, etc.) at once (more than one plugged in)?

As always, thank you for all of your help!

12-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 272
Wow I feel as if I am reading my doppelganger because I purchased my first moonlight this past weekend as well and I didn't get a battery pack either! I did a lot of research into this matter and for my purposes I am going to build my own battery pack using these instructions:
Super Easy DIY Rechargeable Battery Power Pack For Event Photographers - DIY Photography

What I like about using my own inverter is that I can add more battery power or use a 12V-USB power accessory to power ancillary devices.

obin
12-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,151
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Are battery packs universal? I noticed a lot of them seem to be for specific models,
You answered you own question there. No, a lot of battery packs aren't universal. There are a lot of proprietary interfaces that manufacturers use to lock customers into their system.

I'd suggest getting something like the Godox LP800X power inverter which I have personally used to power my Elinchrom 1200ws flash heads for on-location work.
12-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 824
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
Wow I feel as if I am reading my doppelganger because I purchased my first moonlight this past weekend as well and I didn't get a battery pack either! I did a lot of research into this matter and for my purposes I am going to build my own battery pack using these instructions:
Super Easy DIY Rechargeable Battery Power Pack For Event Photographers - DIY Photography

What I like about using my own inverter is that I can add more battery power or use a 12V-USB power accessory to power ancillary devices.

obin
That looks really cool. Do you have the ability to plug in more than one monolight at once? Would it be ok to ask which are the parts you ordered for yours? The link you posted recommended not using this for more powerful strobes. Do you know what I would need to buy to be able to charge more powerful strobes? Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 06:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You answered you own question there. No, a lot of battery packs aren't universal. There are a lot of proprietary interfaces that manufacturers use to lock customers into their system.

I'd suggest getting something like the Godox LP800X power inverter which I have personally used to power my Elinchrom 1200ws flash heads for on-location work.
That looks really nice, but also really expensive. If I go that route, I'll need to save up for a while. But thank you for your response. It really did help a lot.

12-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Brooke Meyer
Guest




One of these are on Santa's List

Vagabond Mini

Vagabond Extreme
12-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 824
Original Poster
Does anyone know if this would work? https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Installation-Automotive-according-standards/...G0HFJ2SX1QNXX7
12-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 272
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
That looks really cool. Do you have the ability to plug in more than one monolight at once? Would it be ok to ask which are the parts you ordered for yours? The link you posted recommended not using this for more powerful strobes. Do you know what I would need to buy to be able to charge more powerful strobes? Thanks![COLOR="Silver"]
I haven't bought the inverter yet but I do have the battery. This is the one I use to power my telescopes in the field:
Amazon.com: Tempest TH1234W 12V 9Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery - This is an AJC Brand174; Replacement: Health & Personal Care

My telescope equipment runs off of 12V but I have been looking at this inverter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWL4N7Q?psc=1

The reviews are pretty good and that one has two outlets. For more powerful strobes you'd need an inverter with more wattage like this one. If you wanted to go for overkill then this one will power a very large light setup. It's good enough to run saws, air compressors, and refrigerators so I think it's more than adequate for some monolights.

obin
12-13-2016, 12:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,151
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
It's good enough to run saws, air compressors, and refrigerators so I think it's more than adequate for some monolights.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, power saws, air compressors and refrigerators are reasonably constant draw appliances: Studio flash heads require short bursts of extremely high current, ever wonder why batteries get hot when you take them out of a flash?

12-15-2016, 03:11 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 272
Good point! Apparently this is the best one to use for monolights:
Amazon.com: Samlex America PST-30S-12A 300 Watt Inverter: Car Electronics

Here is a
.

Here is a video on
.

Note that there are some details in the comments which should be heeded. Don't try to overpower the inverter with tons of lights.

The safest option of course is using the Paul C Buff inverter:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

obin
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery pack, brands, diy, flash, flashpoint, inverter, lighting, lot, monolight, monolight battery pack, pack, packs, photo studio, power, strobes, strobist
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: PENTAX TR Power Pack 3 battery pack for flash djrocks66 Sold Items 3 08-11-2013 08:11 AM
For Sale - Sold: k10D, w/kit lens, battery pack, extra battery. Orignal box. 4400 actuations. rangerbob36 Sold Items 5 09-15-2012 06:49 PM
For Sale - Sold: Camera, cable release, battery grip, flash, battery pack, 3 lenses and radio t WMBP Sold Items 20 07-15-2011 09:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top