Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Banned

The most reasonably cheap HSS lighting system for Pentax

pure manual HSS , group , LCD. for the manual people. this is R930PN, which the acon promised to upload as firmware for R930.

It seems not yet. already the R930PN sold in China for a year. Why not make it free for all R930 users?

The advantage of this system is:

1, utilize the Godox family, its strobe, its flash. all would be fire and controlled by the X1N, godox trigger.
2. little payload on the camera.
3, expand the distance for triggering.

disadvantage,

Where would I put the X1N and R930PN receiver? on the ground? in the pocket? mount on the transmitter?

Last edited by andy888; 12-13-2016 at 05:00 AM.
12-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

An interesting picture showing the set-up, thanks. Good question about the trigger placement .... I suppose just having it sitting on a table or in a pocket could be difficult to handle, so mounted on a stand near to the camera could be the most practical way. Are you able to remotely control the flash power settings from the X1N? If so then it makes good sense to set it up next to you to allow quick adjustments while shooting.

Am I right to assume that the Acon transmitter unit is simply providing a basic trigger signal (plus allowing that to happen beyond the max sync speed). I am assuming this and that you don't need to carry out any power adjustments from the Acon ... ?
12-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you pls draw a simple [MS Paint or even hand-drawn] diagram of how your HSS setup works?

Nothing fancy, just showing how all the items work/link together.
12-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Can you pls draw a simple [MS Paint or even hand-drawn] diagram of how your HSS setup works?

Nothing fancy, just showing how all the items work/link together.
You can refer to the picture. first, the 3 flashes are Godox cheapest radio flash, 60 USD per unit. with radio receiver built in. able to be triggered and set groups or stops. by the Godox X1N transmitter, Which is set on top of the acon receiver.

And the Acon transmitter and receiver both, you can image they are wire. they cheat the X1N that it is mounted on the Nikon Camera. you do all flash setting on the X1N. HSS. Group setting.

also here are a rough drawed schematic .

Last edited by andy888; 12-14-2016 at 09:48 PM.
12-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am reasonably knowledgeable about Pentax HSS, but I'm not sure I understand this setup.

As Mcgregni asked, it looks like the only purpose of the Acon triggers here is to trick the camera into thinking there is a HSS capable flash in the shoe, so it will send the fire signal with shutter speeds faster than 1/200th?

The setup could have been simplified by putting the Godox trigger on top of the Acon trigger on camera and eliminating the off camera Godox in Acon trigger, but you are not doing that because it is just too bulky of a setup on the camera?

Is there something special about the Godox flashes/triggers that allow support of HSS? $60 Godox flashes support HSS? I don't know the Godox system well at all. You could not replace the Godox equipment with Yongnuo, right?

The camera can't be in AV mode, right? Pentax cameras won't trigger HSS in AV mode.
12-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
$60 Godox flashes support HSS?
The Godox TT600 has HSS capability and sells for $69 (not "$60") on Amazon.

This thread seems to be pretty much a rehash of a very similar one from four months ago. I guess I'm missing some important difference.

The camera can't be in AV mode, right?
I'll leave that for Andy888 to answer but how would any attached gear be able to change such details of the Pentax flash logic?

You could not replace the Godox equipment with Yongnuo, right?
You can use any flash that supports off-camera HSS. Certain Yongnuo models would work in combination with a V6II receiver, for instance. You could also use RF60s in combination with a V6II transmitter.

However, I think your main problem is the desire to use HSS in combination with Av, which -- apparently -- Pentax does not support.
12-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for your replies Class A, the fact that the Godox TT600 has HSS capability is the key to me understanding this now.

12-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
ACON R930PN & GODOX wireless lighting

12-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
You can refer to the picture.
Clear as mud. A labeled schematic diagram rather than a gadget photo would be much easier to understand and follow. As it is, one is forced to dive deep into the Acon and Godox product lines just to figure out what this stuff is supposed to do.

Steve
12-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Clear as mud
Strangely, I have no issue interpreting the picture.

Unfortunately the cheap flash units will have atrocious light quality, and will be too weak to use with modifiers that could make an improvement upon the quality of light.

If you could get pentax HSS to work with any major strobe, Bowens,Profoto,Elinchrom et al. this would be much more interesting.
12-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Strangely, I have no issue interpreting the picture.

Unfortunately the cheap flash units will have atrocious light quality, and will be too weak to use with modifiers that could make an improvement upon the quality of light.

If you could get pentax HSS to work with any major strobe, Bowens,Profoto,Elinchrom et al. this would be much more interesting.
A studio flash would not have that flexibility this splitting to many light source.

like this

and light quality. as long as you use light modifier properly. This is not the problem. I don't think you can distinguash even I use not modifier.

Last edited by andy888; 12-15-2016 at 05:45 AM.
12-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Typically strobes do not support HSS bursts (sequences of many, many small pulses in rapid succession).

However, you only need a strobe that supports long pulses (~ 1/125s) and you can use it with the HyperSync technique. Some people at the Cactus community forum reported that they have successfully used the V6II in conjunction with certain studio strobes to break the sync-speed barrier.
12-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
However, you only need a strobe that supports long pulses (~ 1/125s) and you can use it with the HyperSync technique.
Like HSS, Hypersync has its own set of drawbacks. Mostly limited power control of the flash units without using ND filters on them. And matching the strobes power with ambient lighting can also be a real headache.
IGBT's are finding their way into more powerful studio strobes, it is only a matter of time before mainstream manufacturers start implementing them in their high end units. But by the time that is accomplished Global shutter sensors may well find their way into cameras, making this entire linguistically stilted and thoroughly tedious discussion a thing of the past.

A studio flash would not have that flexibility this splitting to many light source.
Don't be ridiculous, if you have multiple studio heads you can create whatever lighting you want.

I don't think you can distinguash even I use not modifier.
I know you use umbrella lighting- Umbrellas are cheap, inefficient, they throw light around like a dog marking its territory. Umbrella lighting is cheap for a reason...you have no control.
12-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Like HSS, Hypersync has its own set of drawbacks. Mostly limited power control of the flash units without using ND filters on them. And matching the strobes power with ambient lighting can also be a real headache.
IGBT's are finding their way into more powerful studio strobes, it is only a matter of time before mainstream manufacturers start implementing them in their high end units. But by the time that is accomplished Global shutter sensors may well find their way into cameras, making this entire linguistically stilted and thoroughly tedious discussion a thing of the past.

Don't be ridiculous, if you have multiple studio heads you can create whatever lighting you want.

I know you use umbrella lighting- Umbrellas are cheap, inefficient, they throw light around like a dog marking its territory. Umbrella lighting is cheap for a reason...you have no control.

That is not rediculus, that means tons of weight and assistant. and money.

As I have declared. The most cheap reasonably.

And I don't against strobe. You see. the X1N able to trigger any Godox light. speedlite. or strobe. what ever.
12-17-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

FWIW at this late stage, HSS with Pentax cameras requires using a Camera Exposure Mode that allows direct control over Time Value. ....ie M, TV or Tav.

Whilst some might naturally prefer Av mode as their favoured working mode, for familiarity perhaps, its a limitation that has no signifiance for me in relation to HSS flash operation. Considering the multiple factors and considerations involved in balancing ambient light with flash, plus the firm grip over exposure time needed for flash exposure control when in HS Sync mode, there's little to recommend any other camera mode other than Full Manual.

Last edited by mcgregni; 12-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.