Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Godox has the X1 trigger for Canon, Nikon, and Sony so far. Does anyone know if they plan to release one for Pentax?

12-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Godox has the X1 trigger for Canon, Nikon, and Sony so far. Does anyone know if they plan to release one for Pentax?
There was talk of it but also talk that they cancelled the project. That is what I recall.
12-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

There was a Flashpoint version of it available from Adorama for a while (announcement only) but the respective page no longer exists.
12-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

There are so many versions of the Godox/Flashpoint flashes that I'm confused as to which ones make sense for a Pentax user. This one is only $99. http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2.html#source=productOptions If I wanted the fast recycle time of the Li-On battery and integrated radio receiver, this is the one to get? The system dedicated versions are $179 that add TTL and also HSS?

Last edited by jake14mw; 12-19-2016 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added missing link
12-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

There are so many versions of the Godox/Flashpoint flashes that I'm confused as to which ones make sense for a Pentax user. This one is only $99. Flashpoint Zoom Li-on Manual R2 On-Camera Flash Speedlight FP-LF-SM-ZL-V2 If I wanted the fast recycle time of the Li-On battery and integrated radio receiver, this is the one to get? The system dedicated versions are $179 that add TTL and also HSS?
There are a lot of rebranded Godox flashes. You can find Godox flashes under the name Genesis, Cheetah, Quadralite, Flashpoint (Adorama got the licence from Godox to sell these flashes under the name Flashpoint), etc. The good thing is that no matter the name they have, you can use them combined and it will work with the same trigger.

If I have to choose between Cactus and Godox, I will chose Godox. In fact, I used Godox flashes when I was shooting Pentax (triggered with FT16; instead of HSS you can use a ND filter) and I use them now, with Canon. There are a lot of rumors about Godox releasing in 2017 the much awaited Pentax and Fuji versions of their triggers and flashes. If those rummors are true, then you will have acces to a much more complex system than Cactus. You will have a lot of options, starting from manual and TTL speedlights and up to AD360 and AD600 flashes.

I've just bought another Godox AD360 flash to use it with my 120cm deep octa. I don't use TTL with off camera flashes, so I bought the non TTL version. Once you bought an AD360 for off camera flash you will not go back to speedlights. There is a completly different light from the bulb than the one from a speedlight.

I will ask a friend if he received the new trigger from Godox, XT32. Although on Godox site says that the trigger is compatible with Sony, Canon and Nikon, it's a manual trigger which can do HSS and it has also 16 groups and 32 channels. It should be interesting if it works with Pentax cameras.

gif upload

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-20-2016 at 04:36 AM.
12-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

This is getting a bit confusing .... Let's be clear about one thing ..... There's no Godox or Godox re-branded flash or trigger that offers any kind of 'TTL' for Pentax ...... Is that not right?
12-20-2016, 03:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
This is getting a bit confusing .... Let's be clear about one thing ..... There's no Godox or Godox re-branded flash or trigger that offers any kind of 'TTL' for Pentax ...... Is that not right?
At this moment there is no Godox TTL flash compatible with Pentax, as far as I know. But, considering the OP request and I quote "I really don't think P-TTL or HSS is something I want or need right now", I think Godox is the way to go because of the options you will have once you start to work with off camera flash.

12-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes, fair point .... I'm sure your recommendation is a sound one. I was just worried in case anyone saw references to TTL and assumed it applied with Pentax DSLRs. There's a good thread on here recently with an explanation of how to achieve HSS with a Godox strobe and trigger plus a Cactus V6II.
12-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There was a Flashpoint version of it available from Adorama for a while (announcement only) but the respective page no longer exists.
I was watching that Flashpoint system and then it just turned up as no longer available. This is what prompted this post. I don't have plans to migrate from Pentax, but sometimes it's inconvenient being the forgotten step child.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 06:27 AM ----------

I went the cheap route with Yongnuo. I have the 560 transmitter, and numerous YN-560 iii and iv flashes. For a completely manual system, I have enjoyed them.
Can you tell me, the listing has the choice of Nikon or Canon, not Pentax, which did purchase?

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 06:35 AM ----------

If you choose a limited system right now, you'll be stuck with your decision.
Your post summarized the options well; this is exactly what I want to avoid. If the budget was unlimited, the choice would be easy. In considering everyone's advice, TTL still isn't a must have, but the HSS option niggles at me, as perhaps I shouldn't limit myself.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There was talk of it but also talk that they cancelled the project. That is what I recall.
What is this system good for?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYEWOB6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_1qtwyb8JMHCXN
12-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
If the budget was unlimited, the choice would be easy.
Maybe if you provide an indicative budget then forum posters can come up with some options for you. Just an idea.

Howie Be
12-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

OhioAngie, your Amazon link just above .... That's a nice looking kit, and a lot for the money! It's a manual power system, and no mention of HSS capability. The internal batteries and recycling features are great, plus it has optical slave options. If you don't need P-TTL or HSS / 2nd curtain then it looks very nice.
12-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The lithium ion batteries are an appealing option, I would say this system compares to the Yongnuo system, except no built in receivers. Obviously, these $200USD manual systems appeal to get started, and probably would even help me dial in my style and preferences better, but I've budgeted only about twice that. If I can make do without for a few more months, it looks like 2017 may give me more options. I had been leaning toward the godox (flashpoint) X2 for Pentax, because it's a system I can BUILD upon, but once again my hopes were dashed. I don't need ttl, but in a perfect world we could be like those spoiled Canikonions who can get TTL HSS from nearly every system. If I buy the Yongnuo or Godox manual systems, obviously I can come in cheap, but when I upgrade, which I'm sure I will, that will feel like a wasted purchase. If I purchase a V6 or V6ii, wait for the new RF60x to come out, I can start with one or two flashes, and expand as I get better lighting skills. Or I could get the recommended Godox mono light style speedlight and hope for a Pentax compatible transmitter in the future, because they have a lot of options that I can mix and match, don't they?

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I will ask a friend if he received the new trigger from Godox, XT32. Although on Godox site says that the trigger is compatible with Sony, Canon and Nikon
Did your friend get the XT32G? There are C, N and S models for the Canon, Nikon, Sony, and the G (generic?) model is listed as "one pin"

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 08:03 AM ----------

Reading back through thread, there is a lot of great info here. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on perspective, I'm a researcher. I hate making decisions unless I feel fully briefed on all my options, and I was confident I would get solid feedback here. I'm now looking at a completely different menu of choices than when I first posted. But the fact remains I have to pull the trigger on something soon. I've turned down 2 venues because I knew I couldn't adequately light them, and most of my work comes from word of mouth, I don't want to make us Pentaxians look like hacks.

Last edited by OhioAngie; 12-20-2016 at 07:42 AM.
12-20-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Angie,

I am right with you with what you are going through. I really like to research things before I buy too!
As far as your question about whether Canon or Nikon version for the Yongnuo stuff, I believe that there is no difference in the flashes themselves. For the transmitter, I believe I bought the Canon version because people said that the wake function to wake up sleeping flashes works for Pentax cameras with the Canon version.

Regarding the link you sent, I believe those are the older model of the Godox V850 that does not have the integrated receiver. You have to clip on the little receiver on the side of it. I would not want that. The Godox V850 ii added the feature of the integrated receiver. I THINK the Flashpoint (Adorama clone of the Godox) version that I linked above has the battery you want AND the integrated receiver for $99. The integrated receiver is for the 2.4 ghz signal that is much better.
12-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
These are very good flashes, but as jake14mw already mentioned, they need a clip-on receiver. The latter can pop-off when you handle the flash; built-in variants are more convenient in general and cannot ever come off.

Much worse, though, the kit comes with a really poor transmitter. It is the old version that precedes the X1 and X32.

With this transmitter, you'll have remote power control, but you'll find that you can not quickly adapt the power level of two or more flashes at the same time. You'll have to repeat the same adjustment for each flash individually.

Also, you won't be able to quickly turn off one flash temporarily. You'll have to manually
  1. dial down the power to zero, using buttons, rather than a dial,
  2. remember the original power level,
  3. take the shots you want, and then
  4. dial up the power level to the value you remembered, again using slow button clicks rather than a dial that can be quick and precise, depending how you turn it.
I understand all about decision paralysis and don't want to make it harder for you, but I recommend that you try and find out how the triggers will work in practice.

BTW, the old transmitter of the kit you mentioned uses 433MHz, so it won't be compatible with the newer Godox products that use 2.4GHz. For the flashes, I understand you'd be able to get new clip-on receivers, but the transmitter is already outdated.

Finally, remember that Cactus and Godox can be used in combination. It is not an "either or" choice. The only downside of using Cactus receivers for controlling suitable Godox flashes is cost as you'd have to get an extra receiver and will need a system-dedicated version of the Godox product, in case you want to maintain remote power and zoom control.
12-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally, remember that Cactus and Godox can be used in combination. It is not an "either or" choice. The only downside of using Cactus receivers for controlling suitable Godox flashes is cost as you'd have to get an extra receiver and will need a system-dedicated version of the Godox product, in case you want to maintain remote power and zoom control.
Good point; I combine Cactus and PocketWizard triggers with no issue.