Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the short range issue a consideration on v6 triggers also?
Yes, you should set the work range to "SHORT" on them as well, in order to avoid misfiring when the transmitter gets very close to a receiver (less than 10cm, or so).

The "SHORT" option still supports a 30m range (or so), hence "LONG" is only really needed for extreme situations. I'm not sure why "SHORT" is not the default setting; it would make a lot more sense to me.

01-05-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
I think most of those reviewers suffered from at least one of the following four problems:
Great list, to which I'd like to add one more item:

Many people use Fuji cameras and the V6II is challenging to use on these for a number of reasons:
  1. The V6II's multi-system hot-shoe connector does not connect well with all Fuji camera hot-shoes. The (reversible) removal of a brace in the Fuji hot-shoe seems to help a lot, but many users don't know about this trick.
  2. Fuji has not been supporting HSS until very recently. Hence, the V6II supports HSS on Fuji with a "forced" approach. The latter is a bit involved to set up and some don't seem to manage to get through.
  3. Some Fuji camera models are not supported and even those that are supported apparently exhibit fluctuating shutter timing. The latter can impact on the calibration of the "forced" approach and make all subsequent shooting attempts fail.
None of these issues apply to Pentax.

P.S.: Another reason for some negative reviews could be the use of earlier firmware versions. In my experience, the earliest versions were a bit buggy and I would definitely recommend the use of one of the latest firmware versions.

Last edited by Class A; 01-05-2017 at 12:49 PM.
01-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote

Also, check out this sale...The AD180 is 50% off. If the transmitter from this kit would work, I could ad another Flashpoint $99 flash...need to talk to someone at Adorama about my set up

Flashpoint StreakLight 360 Ws Flash with Blast Power Pack SL-360K1
That's the AD-360, not the AD-180. (And it's an excellent price, AFAICT.) During the holidays, this combo was actually down to $280 for a few days. I think Adorama might be trying to make way for the AD-360 II, because they are selling at prices lower than even buying direct from China on the Bay...

EDIT: Note also that the transmitter in this kit is the 433Mhz one, so you'll need a second 433Mhz receiver if you want to trigger a V850ii using this. (The V850ii only has the 2.4Ghz receiver built-in.) Or you get an XT-16 (& a 2.4Ghz receiver for the 360) separately...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-05-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarification
01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Also, check out this sale...The AD180 is 50% off. If the transmitter from this kit would work, I could ad another Flashpoint $99 flash...need to talk to someone at Adorama about my set up

Flashpoint StreakLight 360 Ws Flash with Blast Power Pack SL-360K1
Yes, that was on sale for $280 before Christmas. Had me looking at it! The great thing about getting them from Adorama is that they should be able to answer your questions effectively. Can anyone confirm that the Adorama $99 flash will be able to support for Pentax everything that the $180 Godox ones will?

01-06-2017, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Godox has added yet another flash similar to the AD 180, but closer to the form of a speedlight. Yet another option in their arsenal. It just became available for preorder at Adorama. Looks great. You can read about it here... GODOX AD200 WITSTRO – Cordless Strobe Coming! | FLASH HAVOC
01-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
That's the AD-360, not the AD-180. (And it's an excellent price, AFAICT.) During the holidays, this combo was actually down to $280 for a few days. I think Adorama might be trying to make way for the AD-360 II, because they are selling at prices lower than even buying direct from China on the Bay...

EDIT: Note also that the transmitter in this kit is the 433Mhz one, so you'll need a second 433Mhz receiver if you want to trigger a V850ii using this. (The V850ii only has the 2.4Ghz receiver built-in.) Or you get an XT-16 (& a 2.4Ghz receiver for the 360) separately...
I linked the AD 360, which is 38% off, but noted that the AD180 is 50% off. Both are on sale. :-) Compatibility of triggers receivers/flash with built in receivers is what I need to get straight...going to chat with someone at Adorama for the final deets.

I'd like to have THIS set-up with 1-2 additional speedlights for fill/hairlight/etc. but *trying* to avoid a pile of receivers/transmitters. Was hoping the XT32 transmitter would be where the FT16 is in this video, then it would trigger the V860ii flashes--using the Flashpoint models in place of the Godox, that is.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/335280-pentax...-tutorial.html

Last edited by OhioAngie; 01-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.
01-06-2017, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #67

Original Poster
This is why I need more lighting....this is just my family, and I could have put the light higher and more central--I don't tend to like that look or the undereye shadows it creates, so a second light would have made me happier--plus I was using a cord not radio or optical triggering. I will use Lightroom to balance the lighting for the final print, but prefer to do my work in-camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-06-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

Compatibility of triggers receivers/flash with built in receivers is what I need to get straight...
AFAIK, (within the Godox brand and the rebadges) the only caveat is 433Mhz vrs 2.4Ghz - you can't use a 2.4Ghz transmitter with a 433Mhz receiver, and vice-versa. The 433Mhz receivers for the 180/360 flashes are called FTR-16, and the 2.4Ghz receivers are called XTR-16. The "II" flashes have 2.4Ghz radios built-in, but not 433Mhz, so you can't, for example, trigger a V850ii (2.4Ghz receiver built-in) with an FT-16 (433Mhz transmitter). You'd need to either use a 2.4Ghz transmitter instead, or add a 433Mhz receiver to the V850ii (which still has the USB receiver port built in). If you look at the photos of what Adorama calls the "Flashpoint R1 Transmitter and Receiver Set", the photos show the devices all have "433Mhz" printed on them.
01-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why I need more lighting....this is just my family, and I could have put the light higher and more central--I don't tend to like that look or the undereye shadows it creates, so a second light would have made me happier--plus I was using a cord not radio or optical triggering. I will use Lightroom to balance the lighting for the final print, but prefer to do my work in-camera.
I just dipped my toes into using multiple speed lights. Got the 2 X Yongnuo YN560 IV kit with a transmitter from Amazon. Things sure have advanced from my AF280T days
All the controls via RF remote, so convenient, love it.
Something that wide of a shot definitely needs several light sources. Not much of a help here, just impressed by the new tech.
01-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes sense! You could look into a flash diffuser too to help with shadows.
01-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I just dipped my toes into using multiple speed lights. Got the 2 X Yongnuo YN560 IV kit with a transmitter from Amazon. Things sure have advanced from my AF280T days
All the controls via RF remote, so convenient, love it.
Something that wide of a shot definitely needs several light sources. Not much of a help here, just impressed by the new tech.
Had this been for a client, I would have balanced the set-up, with bounced light from reflectors, ceilings or walls. Not an ideal set up, but better. In this case I was at a birthday party, I wasn't setting up light stands etc., had to use what I had. I think the yongnuo kit is appealing for better lighting on a budget. I want to be able to adjust the flashes from the master controller, otherwise I might have gone that route initially myself.

---------- Post added 01-08-17 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Makes sense! You could look into a flash diffuser too to help with shadows.
Which ones do you like? I have a Lightsphere knock-off and still find the light rather hard. I've watched all of his videos and my practice pics never look like those demos. I use a Rogue flash bender when I don't have anything to bounce off (like outdoors), but while it shapes the light, it too is often hard light. I often use an umbrella indoors, but not on a shot this wide. I wonder now if the Fong might have worked for this pic...it throws light everywhere. Of course you can't carry everything with you all the time.
01-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the yongnuo kit is appealing for better lighting on a budget. I want to be able to adjust the flashes from the master controller, otherwise I might have gone that route initially myself.
That is what I find so impressive. I have the YN560-TX RF controller on the K5 that can control so many groups and flashes. All individually, power levels, zooming. This is awesome!
I am ordering 2 more YN560 IV speed lights come next pay-check

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
01-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had this been for a client, I would have balanced the set-up, with bounced light from reflectors, ceilings or walls. Not an ideal set up, but better. In this case I was at a birthday party, I wasn't setting up light stands etc., had to use what I had. I think the yongnuo kit is appealing for better lighting on a budget. I want to be able to adjust the flashes from the master controller, otherwise I might have gone that route initially myself.

---------- Post added 01-08-17 at 05:49 PM ----------

Which ones do you like? I have a Lightsphere knock-off and still find the light rather hard. I've watched all of his videos and my practice pics never look like those demos. I use a Rogue flash bender when I don't have anything to bounce off (like outdoors), but while it shapes the light, it too is often hard light. I often use an umbrella indoors, but not on a shot this wide. I wonder now if the Fong might have worked for this pic...it throws light everywhere. Of course you can't carry everything with you all the time.
I've had more success than I should with a mini soft box, used as a bounce flash off the ceiling. Might have worked there. I am definitely not an expert on this stuff, I know people swear by them but I'm not a big user of the "light everywhere" diffusers, could be I haven't got the technique yet. I wonder if you shot through a transparent umbrella if it would have helped for that photo.
01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Godox 47" octabox is pretty nice for someone on a budged... just saying .
01-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I've had more success than I should with a mini soft box, used as a bounce flash off the ceiling. Might have worked there. I am definitely not an expert on this stuff, I know people swear by them but I'm not a big user of the "light everywhere" diffusers, could be I haven't got the technique yet. I wonder if you shot through a transparent umbrella if it would have helped for that photo.
The above pic was in a room with vaulted ceilings, so only had a yellow side wall for bounce, window behind me, but it was dark. I've gotten much better with bounced lighting, thanks to the "little black foamie thing" guy, but sometimes that much needed bounce surface is not there. So, your small softbox softens or spreads the light before it is bounced? Seems to make sense. Do you ever aim the light at a wall behind you? I'm always impressed by what good wrap around I get from that.

---------- Post added 01-09-17 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That is what I find so impressive. I have the YN560-TX RF controller on the K5 that can control so many groups and flashes. All individually, power levels, zooming. This is awesome!
I am ordering 2 more YN560 IV speed lights come next pay-check
I didn't realize the Yongnuo trigger was able to control adjustments like zoom. They seem to be making efforts to become a stronger player. Now they are offering a P-TTL flash also. Regarding the 47" octobox, I just got a 48" parabolic with diffuser panel, but I need a stronger flash to fill it, like the godox ad360.