Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Does anyone know if anyone makes a "zoom" reflector for the Godox AD360? For my application in trying to light a gym, I bounce a speedlight off the ceiling using about a 70mm zoom setting. From what I am reading, the Godox reflector that comes with it is for 24mm. I did google it, but did not find anything.
A gym ceiling is normally super high - I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to do but I believe you would need incredible flash firepower to get a useful bounce out of such a situation?

01-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
A gym ceiling is normally super high - I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to do but I believe you would need incredible flash firepower to get a useful bounce out of such a situation?
Yes, that is true, thus the need for the AD360! I currently use 2 pairs of YN-560's on either side of the court, two bounced from the ceiling, and two pointed directly. Bouncing off the ceiling is very inefficient, but lessens the harshness and shadows of the ones pointed directly.
01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read that some people use this with the AD360 for very long telephoto wildlife shots. (250'). I'm unclear if there are other parts required to make the two mate. The bulb spacer is interesting. Essentially by pushing the bulb forward it changes the way the reflector works - used this way it's telephoto - used without the spacer it is a portrait/wide reflector. Sounds pretty slick.

Amazon.com : Quantum Qflash T & X Series Telephoto Reflector with Spacer (QF63B) : Photographic Lighting Reflectors : Camera & Photo
01-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have read that some people use this with the AD360 for very long telephoto wildlife shots. (250'). I'm unclear if there are other parts required to make the two mate. The bulb spacer is interesting. Essentially by pushing the bulb forward it changes the way the reflector works - used this way it's telephoto - used without the spacer it is a portrait/wide reflector. Sounds pretty slick.

Amazon.com : Quantum Qflash T & X Series Telephoto Reflector with Spacer (QF63B) : Photographic Lighting Reflectors : Camera & Photo
Thanks for the info. That was certainly not what I was expecting. I was expecting a deeper tube. I wonder how this works to concentrate the beam?

01-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info. That was certainly not what I was expecting. I was expecting a deeper tube. I wonder how this works to concentrate the beam?
It is a parabolic reflector. The math escapes me but by moving the bulb forward that's similar to moving the foci I think. I'm hoping someone more deeply embedded in lighting will answer because that's just speculation on my part. Think of how a maglite works - you screw the bezel back and forth to change the pattern from wide to spot.
01-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #96

Original Poster
I decided upon the Adorama rebrand of the Godox v850ii flashes--the Flashpoint Li-on R2 2.4 GHz flashes--there is a cheaper R2 manual option that uses AA's but decided to try the rechargeable Li-ons. I also decided to go with the R2 (X1T rebrand) slave set so I could use Sigma flash off the camera with the set up as well. I am planning to add a v6ii for HSS next, then a Flashpoint Streaklight 360 later this year.

Anyway, I was going to order this weekend, but was wondering if it mattered if I ordered the C or N version, since they don't have a manual version. It seems that it doesn't matter, its TTL for either of those brands, something I wouldn't be using anyway. I used the chat feature online and the customer service person didn't understand the products enough to answer me. Thoughts??

Last edited by OhioAngie; 01-19-2017 at 12:30 PM.
01-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
I decided upon the Adorama rebrand of the Godox v850ii flashes--the Flashpoint Li-on R2 2.4 GHz flashes--there is a cheaper R2 manual option that uses AA's but decided to try the rechargeable Li-ons. I also decided to go with the R2 (X1T rebrand) slave set so I could use Gigma camera off the camera with the set up as well. I am planning to add a v6ii for HSS next, then a Flashpoint Streaklight 360 later this year.

Anyway, I was going to order this weekend, but was wondering if it mattered if I ordered the C or N version, since they don't have a manual version. It seems that it doesn't matter, its TTL for either of those brands, something I wouldn't be using anyway. I used the chat feature online and the customer service person didn't understand the products enough to answer me. Thoughts??
Sounds like a good choice. I don't know the answer to your C or N version question, but I know that when I was researching it for the Yongnuo transmitter, I got the N version because people said that the flash wake function worked with those but did not work with the C version. Good luck.

01-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #98

Original Poster
Thanks, I was surprised how little help I got from Adorama. As soon as I mentioned Pentax, the person said there was no version available to me and offered me the old R1 manual transmitter, which doesn't even work with the R2 flashes without a separate receiver. Apparently our forum members know more about these things than the reps. Don't try to talk to cactus about stacking a Godox trigger on the V6ii either...on their forum that rep stated the cactus was not designed to do that and had no idea what the OP was talking about, although they might have just been practicing CYA. So I return to the trial and error learning of the pentaxians. Anyway, I am going to call Adorama again today and try to get someone who can talk to me about the AD360 to make sure I am getting what I want to add that later to my lighting set up.
01-18-2017, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

Let us know what you come up with Angie. I am thinking of Buying an X1 and two XTR16's for my Streaklights (AD360s), and don't know whether it matters whether I get ones for Canon or Nikon. A Yongnuo flash and battery pack going in the marketplace soon!
01-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #100

Original Poster
Let us know what you come up with Angie. I am thinking of Buying an X1 and two XTR16's for my Streaklights (AD360s), and don't know whether it matters whether I get ones for Canon or Nikon. A Yongnuo flash and battery pack going in the marketplace soon!
At this point I would say Adorama doesn't want my business. I've yet to get someone who can answer my questions. The first person told me the wronf thing, then customer service directed me to a lighting expert who would call me back in 10 minutes but never called, got left on hold indefinitely then cut off, shuffled around, and frankly I'm doubting my judgment in going with them at all.
01-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #101
Veteran Member

It's not surprising that they don't know how to advise you as far as Pentax goes with the Flashpoint equipment. Pentax is such a small part of their business that they just won't be knowledgeable about how Pentax works with equipment not specifically designed for Pentax. There is no excuse though for not getting a call back, and being left on hold. That's really frustrating. When I had questions for them about some used equipment, they were helpful, and did call me back when they said they would. Good luck.
01-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #102

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Good information Dan Rantea.

I just would like to add that while Cactus keep telling people to keep buying extra Cactus triggers if you are daisy chaining your own triggers, you should only need to buy one Cactus trigger to enable HSS mode in the case of the Godox AD360. Follow this post from the Cactus community for use in HSS mode with a Pentax 645D and the Godox AD360ii-C.

Don't buy extra triggers if you don't need them is all I'm saying if you go down this path.
howieB your link to cactus didn't work, I would really like to read that post though
01-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #103

Original Poster
Did I read right that you just purchase the AD360? Did you get the Flashpoint version or Godox? Did you go with the 433 kHz (flashpoint is R1) or the newer 2.4 ghz/R2? I spoke to another Adorama rep who couldn't help me with my multi light set up question, so think I'm going to get the older 360 which is on sale, along with a cactus v6ii. It seems like forum members are saying they are getting comparable coverage from the 360 as what I might get from two speed lights. This makes my studio more portable. Would you agree?
01-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
Did I read right that you just purchase the AD360? Did you get the Flashpoint version or Godox? Did you go with the 433 kHz (flashpoint is R1) or the newer 2.4 ghz/R2? I spoke to another Adorama rep who couldn't help me with my multi light set up question, so think I'm going to get the older 360 which is on sale, along with a cactus v6ii. It seems like forum members are saying they are getting comparable coverage from the 360 as what I might get from two speed lights. This makes my studio more portable. Would you agree?
Yes, but I went used. Got them from Adorama's used department. I had a specific need for the power. The radio is not built into the older model, so I decided to go with the newer 2.4g XTR-16 receivers and an X1 Trigger. Keep in mind the additional setup teardown time of this. Many parts with the bare bulb setup, external pack, cords and receivers, etc. I wouldn't go with that before the Lithium Ion R2 speedlight. I had to buy a large padded case for the two units too. MUCH greater size. A huge case for two units, vs. slipping the self contained $99 speedlights into your existing bag.
01-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #105

Original Poster
Yes, but I went used. Got them from Adorama's used department. I had a specific need for the power. The radio is not built into the older model, so I decided to go with the newer 2.4g XTR-16 receivers and an X1 Trigger. Keep in mind the additional setup teardown time of this. Many parts with the bare bulb setup, external pack, cords and receivers, etc. I wouldn't go with that before the Lithium Ion R2 speedlight. I had to buy a large padded case for the two units too. MUCH greater size. A huge case for two units, vs. slipping the self contained $99 speedlights into your existing bag.
I get what you're saying, but then again, two lights mean two stands, two modifiers, brackets, etc. One streaklight is still lighter travel than 2-3 speedlights. You went with two streaklights?