Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
Were you able to turn off the sleep feature? If so, then it shouldn't matter that it won't wake up. Does it have a meaningful impact on battery life if the sleep feature is disabled?
Yes, I was able to turn off the sleep feature, so that is not much of an issue. I would prefer to be able to set it to something like 30 minutes, but no biggie.

The XT32 is much more like the XT16, which I think is pretty easy to operate. I just received mine and I am excited to put it to work.
Interested to hear what you think once you try it out. With such a large sreen, I'm surprised they don't have a mode where they can show power and mode for 3 groups. Can you check to see 1) How many groups it controls, 2) If focus assist light works, 3) if your camera can wake the XT32 from sleep ?

02-04-2017, 05:31 AM   #122
Veteran Member

The XT32 is much more like the XT16, which I think is pretty easy to operate. I just received mine and I am excited to put it to work.
How is the XT32 working out for you?

Does anyone have the Nikon version of the X1T. I am wondering if I can control 5 groups with the Nikon version.
02-05-2017, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #123

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
How is the XT32 working out for you?

Does anyone have the Nikon version of the X1T. I am wondering if I can control 5 groups with the Nikon version.
I actually did not go with the XT32--I went with the older XT16 and the AD360 light. Have only used it a couple of times, but so far I am pretty impressed. The recycle time is crazy fast, not sure how I'll ever go back now! No problem with the unit waking up, but not sure that was an issue with the XT16. All is well in my world.
03-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #124

WOW Thank your for that Thread!

I'm in a similar Position:
I'm thinking of getting a AD360, but I'm not sure wether it should be the AD360 or the AD360II-N.

Has anyone tested the AD360 in SuperSync / HSS combined with a Pentax 560? I would like to use the AD360 in a huge Softbox and the Pentax 560 as a rim light in a small one in HSS / Supersync mode of the Cactus V6ii.

03-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #125

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ruebyi Quote
WOW Thank your for that Thread!

I'm in a similar Position:
I'm thinking of getting a AD360, but I'm not sure wether it should be the AD360 or the AD360II-N.

Has anyone tested the AD360 in SuperSync / HSS combined with a Pentax 560? I would like to use the AD360 in a huge Softbox and the Pentax 560 as a rim light in a small one in HSS / Supersync mode of the Cactus V6ii.

I hope someone replies to your question. I LOVE my AD360, so glad for the advice received here. I have two big jobs now that I am confident I will be able to light properly now. I haven't found the softbox I like just yet, but using it with a reflective parabolic or a shoot through umbrella both produced excellent results. Winters are long here in Ohio and I am doing some school pictures the next couple of weeks, on location, that I probably would have passed on before due to my lack of proper lighting equipment.
03-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon version of the the xt32 trigger is in stock at adorama under the flashpoint branding.
03-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm also enjoying the Flashpoint version of the AD 360, and I agree that it is hard to go back to a system of only speed lights. I had already bought 4 of the Cactus v6 and integrating them into the Flashpoint system means you lose the remote power features of the V6. I ended up using the Flashpoint remote to control power on the bare bulb unit and the Cactus triggers to fire the flashes, which is a bit of a waste of money. Cheap triggers can do that.

If I were starting over, I would just buy the Godox/Flashpoint system. It worked right out of the box, whereas I am always fiddling around with the multitude of settings on the Cactus. Also, the Flashpoint will soon wirelessly pass through TTL on my Sony E mount, while the Cactus will not. The Cactus will pass through PTTL to a flash on its shoe (not wirelessly) if you remember to set it to do so. However, you have to remember to check that setting and use it only on the Pentax camera, because the pass through is not compatible with power control of a remote flash. Features are nice, and having different cameras for different needs is also nice, but one can easily end up with a system that is too complex to use under pressure.

03-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #128
Veteran Member

I think the main reason for TTL pass through (to a dedicated system flash on top of a V6 Tx) is for where P-TTL features are still needed in the total mix ...eg, you might need an optical HSS control trigger signal to optically fire HSS slaves where you don't have radio HSS capability....or you might need the AF assist from the TTL flash ....or you might just want some automatic P-TTL fill in flash from the on-camera flash . The remote power control is still effective from the V6Tx for the slave flashes within the V6 system.
03-15-2017, 05:14 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think the main reason for TTL pass through (to a dedicated system flash on top of a V6 Tx) is for where P-TTL features are still needed in the total mix ...eg, you might need an optical HSS control trigger signal to optically fire HSS slaves where you don't have radio HSS capability....or you might need the AF assist from the TTL flash ....or you might just want some automatic P-TTL fill in flash from the on-camera flash . The remote power control is still effective from the V6Tx for the slave flashes within the V6 system.
I shoot a lot if dance parties and dance events, and TTL is great for fill where a larger strobe is producing an enveloping main light. It is not always perfect, but it is much easier to use a TTL speedlight with exposure compensation in different parts of the room, than it is to guess at what is going on and set a manual fill for each shot.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-15-2017 at 05:30 AM.
03-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Yes, I agree totally. It seems to have been effective in your shot there! It looks like you're blasting at the roof and walls with your Manual flash for the main directional light, and then bringing the faces up from the on - camera flash ....

P-TTL is ideal for this as the distances and angles are constantly changing, so it's a perfect mix of manual and automatic flash. I often bounce my on -camera flash back over my shoulder into a corner to fill in on the off side from a manual main light .... Again, there's very little point in juggling manual flash settings for this as automatic takes easy care of it, and keeps up with every small position and bounce angle adjustment.
03-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #131
Veteran Member

This sequence happened to have taken place very close to the wall where I bounced my bare bulb. In most of the shots in this large room it is not so obvious where the main flash was positioned and the effect was more diffused. For the disco theme, the glowing white wall worked.