Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
best manual, radio trigger speed light system?

Greetings friends! I need the benefit of your collective wisdom. I've spent this last year diving back into building up my business, happily with much success, and have been doing a lot of reading (thanks for the flash guide, Nigel) and then practicing what I've learned on my clients. Initially, I limited a lot of my work to outdoors and natural lighting, letting the paychecks purchase additional lighting equipment as I go. I'm using a Sigma EF-610 DG flash and have been pleased with its performance off camera (optical triggering) on a basic light stand/umbrella set up. For HSS, I am comfortable using a sync cord on camera/above camera with a flash bracket or off camera with a light stand. It keeps me closely tethered, but has worked for me. I do believe in the importance of getting comfortable where you are at, before investing further--as I see so many people rush out and buy a lot of things on recommendations and then have no idea how to use any of it.

My question is this--I am ready to add a couple more speed lights to my set up, and I would like to invest in a radio trigger, as optical triggering has been an issue once or twice, and a softbox is on my radar. In reading the posts here, I may be too faint of heart to invest in the Acon triggers--the technical curve, all the stories of firmware problems, etc, scares me off, plus the list of supported flashes is pricey. The cactus V6ii looks appealing, however, I really don't think P-TTL or HSS is something I want or need right now. I have grown comfortable in manual, and have my sigma if needed. Plus the V6ii is expensive and again, doesn't support cheaper units, and early reviews are poor. I was thinking about going with the Cactus V6, maybe with two RF60 flashes--not overly cheap, looks like $350 or more, but I think those flashes are more powerful and no receiver is needed, which saves a few $$. My other option is the Yongnuo YN 560 TX (trigger) and two YN 560 IV flashes--less than $200 for all of it. Guide number on those flashes is 56 and 58, respectively, so it seems the Yongnuo would be a better value, although I have heard that they don't hold up as well, nor do they fire as consistently. I've been told to purchase the Nikon version or the TX, but will confirm that before purchase.

I know there are cheaper transceivers I could buy for $20 a piece, picking up a couple manual flashes on ebay, but my one requirement is the ability to control flash power from the camera--its just too time consuming and feels unprofessional having to walk around adjusting the flashes until I like the shot. I have no studio--everything is on location and my helper is my teenage daughter--who is a force to be reckoned with, I might add--once she saw how much money she could make, she became one of the best no nonsense assistants money can buy. Most shoots she has everything broke down, packed and in the trunk before I can get my camera into my bag and the fee collected from the client. Good times.

I value any suggestions from forum members!

12-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a number of cactus triggers, I'd recommend them.
12-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Cactus system rocks. It quirks pretty randomly but restarts solve everything. The flashes are plenty powerful and reliable. I've put about 5-10k flashes on each of mine in the past year (sometimes I use one, sometimes two, and I'm not sure which has more) and they're holding up great. Very durable.
12-19-2016, 12:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used Cactus and PocketWizard triggers, they're both excellent, but the Cactus V6 will probably serve your needs better.

12-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A V6 plus 2 RF60's is a good way to go. As you said, no need for receiver units, It's all neat and tidy at the flash end. They have a screw thread also for easy attachment to a stand if you don't need to use an umbrella type of hotshoe attachment.

You get easy and reliable remote control over flash power levels (independently with each flash) plus remote control of flash head zoom. If you added a 2nd Cactus unit you can use it with your Sigma flash for remote power control also, so that's 3 flashes all at once!

HSS ? You'd have it .....2 slave flashes (the RF60s in HSS sympathy mode) with your Sigma as optical controller on your camera. You control the power of the RF60s in the same way remotely, It's just that you have to keep a good line of sight to the Sigma flash. You set HSS sympathy mode plus optical triggering, plus the required delay, onto the RF60s .... It's quick and easy once you've done it a couple of times!

---------- Post added 19-12-16 at 07:57 ----------

I'm glad you liked the Guide, thanks.
12-19-2016, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just bought Cactus. I'll post how I get on once the RF60x flash arrives! The trigger has arrived - but the flash is still on backorder.
12-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry, you would need to check the specs of your Sigma ....I see you don't have the 'Super' version, so I'm not sure if it does HSS. If not, that's a good excuse to get a new Pentax AF-540 FGZII !

12-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To offer an alternative to the Cactus suggestions also consider Godox.

If you need a lot of power the AD360 is a great option. Technically the power of approx. 6 speed lights and compatible with ft-16 triggers and newer xt-16 triggers.

You can mix and match with AD180 and Ving 850 mk I or Mk II's.

Also, the recycle speed is way above 4 AA powered flashes.

This is all at standard sync speed. However, if you add one Cactus V6 II, you can also shoot in HSS mode.

Even though I have a number of Cactus V6 Mk I and a single Mk II my preference is to shoot with my Godox Ving 850s as I prefer the fast recycle speed.

If I want to shoot HSS mode, mainly macro at the moment, I'll stack the Godox trigger on the Cactus V6 II.
12-19-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a minor keep-in-mind. SFAIK you must match transmitter and flash if you want to change power output remotely. The Cactus V6 or V6 II can remotely change power of a Cactus RF60, and a Godox transmitter will do the same for a Godox flash, but don't expect remote power adjustment of, for example, a Pentax strobe with either a Cactus or Godox transmitter. If you like the Cactus transmitter, you'll need to purchase Cactus strobes.
12-19-2016, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Just a minor keep-in-mind. SFAIK you must match transmitter and flash if you want to change power output remotely. The Cactus V6 or V6 II can remotely change power of a Cactus RF60, and a Godox transmitter will do the same for a Godox flash, but don't expect remote power adjustment of, for example, a Pentax strobe with either a Cactus or Godox transmitter. If you like the Cactus transmitter, you'll need to purchase Cactus strobes.
I think that the cactus triggers... have some way of controlling flash output on a number of flash brands, but I have no idea how. I have three cactus triggers and multiple flashes, but have never bothered to figure it out.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

If you need a lot of power the AD360 is a great option. Technically the power of approx. 6 speed lights and compatible with ft-16 triggers and newer xt-16 triggers.

You can mix and match with AD180 and Ving 850 mk I or Mk II's.

Also, the recycle speed is way above 4 AA powered flashes.

This is all at standard sync speed. However, if you add one Cactus V6 II, you can also shoot in HSS mode.

Even though I have a number of Cactus V6 Mk I and a single Mk II my preference is to shoot with my Godox Ving 850s as I prefer the fast recycle speed.

If I want to shoot HSS mode, mainly macro at the moment, I'll stack the Godox trigger on the Cactus V6 II.
For what it's worth, usually a small aperture (f11) plus a normal flash pulse is a way better way to freeze motion and get detail then HSS flash strobe and a high shutter speed. At ISO 100, f11 and 1/180 shutter speed, ambient is dim or gone in many macro situations, the flash strobe (fast light) is the only real light source.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 07:12 AM ----------

Original poster.... FYI flash systems seem to draw out the most contentious debates on this forum! :P
12-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cactus V6 - V6ii are designed to control TTL flashes of many different brands (Cactus, Godox, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma... etc) in a way that simulates manual control. Essentially they have profiled (30?) flashes already and created a process that you can use to profile additional ones.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS
12-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Sorry, you would need to check the specs of your Sigma ....I see you don't have the 'Super' version, so I'm not sure if it does HSS. If not, that's a good excuse to get a new Pentax AF-540 FGZII !
I do have the super version, HSS works well, so that option would be a bonus, although optical triggering might be a downside.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 02:58 PM ----------

Thank you! Looked at the Godox and the quick recycle time, power and battery life is very appealing. Now 3 options to weigh, although I think I've eliminated yongnuo for this purchase, due to mixed reviews. Although cheaper, it seems most keep spares due to failures, so I'm not quite there yet.
12-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I went the cheap route with Yongnuo. I have the 560 transmitter, and numerous YN-560 iii and iv flashes. For a completely manual system, I have enjoyed them. Because of the low cost, I was able to experiment with some things that I would not have with more expensive units. I like the large LCD on the Transmitter, and the LCDs on the flashes themselves. I have hit the "full power only problem" with two units though. So, reliability is not great. Yongnuo does not seem to be a company that communicates well with users. Godox and Cactus seem much better in that regard. Godox and Cactus also seem to take backwards compatibility with new units more seriously. The Yongnuo work well for me right now, but I am following developments from the other companies closely.

I think Cactus products seem well thought out, and they seem responsive to feedback. They are a little pricier than the others, but it seems that the company support and responsiveness is the value added. If you have more than one camera system, it seems that they really add value there as well.

Godox is the one that has me very intrigued right now. It seems that they have been in rapid development with their product line. They also have gone above and beyond in trying to accomodate backwards compatibilty to the point of some very strange products over the past couple of years. Their transmitters and receivers seemed behind the times, but now with the X1 transmitter, and flashes with integrated receivers, it seems that they have caught up with Cactus. The product that sets them apart right now for me is what howieb101 mentioned above, the AD360 flash unit. A unit with almost a speedlight size with power approaching what you get with monolights. I have a couple of applications where that would seem ideal. They also have speedlights very similar to the Yonguo YN-560iv for the same $70 as well, so they cover a lot of ground. I am researching to see if they have resolved some of their issues that have been reported. If they supported HSS for Pentax the way they do now with Nikon and Canon, I would probably make the move.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 05:46 PM ----------

Can you tell me what the recycle times are for the Godox Ving 850 at 1/2 and 1/4 power?
12-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Godox recycle time

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote

Can you tell me what the recycle times are for the Godox Ving 850 at 1/2 and 1/4 power?
Here is what I got from the Flashhavoc website (refer to image). If you haven't searched this website it is full of information.

I shot some wedding party photo's using bounce flash with the Godoxes but I'll have to check at home for the timing but as per Flashhavoc, well under 1second although I have no equipment to test timing. Only experience that if you shoot less than full power you can kind of shoot rapid fire with flash.

I might upload a sequence but as they contain people I'll have to think about it.

Very liberating.

Howie Be
Attached Images

12-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Regarding Godox vs Cactus:
  • The RF60x has been announced to recycle quite a bit quicker than the RF60, which was no slouch either. With Eneloops, the RF60x should be even quicker than the specified 1.9s for full power.
  • Quick recycling is very nice but one must not believe that any of these flashes are able to maintain prolonged periods of high frequency shooting. They go into overheat protection after 20-30 or so full power shots. At lower power levels, recycling speed is typically more than fast enough and overheating is less of an issue, so it really is the recycling speed at full power that one must consider in the context of how long one wants to maintain a high frequency.
  • Having a single battery to manage on a Godox flash is much more convenient and means a big plus with respect to battery lifetime. On the flip side one deals with a proprietary battery and charger and loses the ability to use regular AAs in emergencies. The RF60x can use a battery pack for quicker recycling and longer battery life but now one is managing 12 AA batteries!
  • The Cactus system is a multi-brand system supporting many camera and flash systems. Even HSS can be used in mixed setups.
  • Godox have a much larger selection of flashes and strobes. Some of the flashes are very powerful and offer bare bulb options. You can remote control some of the system-dedicated versions of these with Cactus triggers as well, but of course the native Godox trigger would be the cheaper option as many Godox flashes have a receiver built-in already.
  • The Cactus trigger has many features (e.g., group cycling which has multiple applications like virtual instant recycling or mask generation) that may not appear to be essential at first but can be really useful with more advanced usage.
  • I personally also think that the Cactus triggers are more ergonomic than the Godox triggers. Why did Godox put the dial on the right hand side of the trigger when one will inevitably use the left thumb to operate it? Why is it a vertically oriented dial? I think the horizontally oriented dial of the Cactus is more natural to use.
Regarding V6 vs V6II, I understand your reasoning, but HSS can be really useful, so even if you think you may not need/want it now, I'd keep myself the option open, if I were you. If you get a V6 now, you could add HSS later by adding a V6II.

If you choose a limited system right now, you'll be stuck with your decision.

Last edited by Class A; 12-19-2016 at 07:53 PM.