Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I emulate the pros with multiple setups - manual. The Yongnuo TX has a nice LCD display and interface, and it's cheap.
For my purposes P-TTL and adjusting the exposure/flash power on flash works pretty good. Of course I work very close to my flashes and mostly in my house so its no big deal.... I can see how large setups would require more advanced and more easily manipulated systems.

However, I am just not there yet.

12-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Actually, I work mostly in the same conditions, and I agree that very often the hassle of moving back and forward to the flashes is not really ... well, a hassle!

This raises one big question for you with your testing. ..... Once you've got a lighting balance established, do you have control over global flash exposure from the CAMERA flash compensation setting? If this feature was retained with the Acons for multi-flash P-TTL it at least gives some remote control over things .... Better than none.
12-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Actually, I work mostly in the same conditions, and I agree that very often the hassle of moving back and forward to the flashes is not really ... well, a hassle!

This raises one big question for you with your testing. ..... Once you've got a lighting balance established, do you have control over global flash exposure from the CAMERA flash compensation setting? If this feature was retained with the Acons for multi-flash P-TTL it at least gives some remote control over things .... Better than none.
An interesting question indeed. I will have to find out when they arrive! I may even have a chance to try them out in a photo shoot of family members! I tend to think that it does in fact work as on the first page of the manual it states that in bi direction mode it works as if the flash was directly mounted on the camera.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 03:33 PM ----------

So this is my write up of what needs to be done to set up the ACON R930 to work in P-TTL. I don't have one yet, but I have been pouring over the manual and watching the video I posted earlier to see if I can make it all make sense before I get the units so its easy to get going.

Andy888 if you could review this for me and tell me if its correct it would be very helpful, or if anyone with updated triggers could give this a go and give me some feed back that would be great.

I will be using the terms that are in the manual to make things easier to follow. This should be used in conjunction with the manual located here Download - acon-photo

Couple of points of note,
1. The top button apparently is like a shutter button, you can half press and full press it much like half press autofocus and full press release. For a half press its labeled as a short press in the manual (and so to here in parenthesis).

2. You enter the top menu (main menu) by pressing and holding the side button until led #4 blinks. You switch to different "sub menus" or LED's (as the manual states) by half or short pressing the top button.

3. Of course all of the above does assume that you have updated these triggers to the latest firmware and I am correct in my assumptions.

Change Channel Tx/Rx Top (main) Menu (Please note that LED #'s 1&2 are reserved for indicating the channel selected in the top menu (Main Menu)

1. Press and hold (Long Press) the side button until led # 4 blinks. You are now in the top menu (Main Menu)
2. 1/2 Press and release (short Press) the top key once. Now the #2 led should be blinking
3. Press and release (short Press) the side key until the desired channel is selected (see table at top of page 4 for channel listings and indicators.)
4. Press and release (short Press) the top key and wait for LED #3 to blink. This indicates the channel is synced with the receiver.
5.1/2 Press and release (short Press) the top key, the number 4 led should be blinking this indicates that you are back at the top menu.
6.Press and hold (Long Press) the side Key until LED #4 Stops blinking. You have now exited the Top Menu.

To set up for P-TTL (or for the system to act like a ttl cable)

1. Press and hold (Long Press) the side button until led # 4 blinks. You are now in the top menu (Main Menu)
2. Press and release (short Press) the side key to switch between modes. (see the figure at the top of page 5 for what color designates each mode)
4. Set to the color (Mode) you would like using step 2. For this application set to Green.
5. Press and hold (Long Press) the side button until led # 4 blinks. You are now in the top menu (Main Menu)
6.Press and hold (Long Press) the side Key until LED #4 Stops blinking. You have now exited the Top Menu.

For most of the other functions, they are same to operate. I think once you understand the LEDs and the button functions it may be easier. Of course this is from a guy who doesn't have these things yet so take it for what its worth.

Last edited by W.j.christy; 12-19-2016 at 02:34 PM.
12-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This raises one big question for you with your testing. ..... Once you've got a lighting balance established, do you have control over global flash exposure from the CAMERA flash compensation setting?
Yes, of course you do.

All signals from the camera are transmitted. It's pass through.

The only thing I see where they try to be smart and alter the signal is the new firmware can try to translate Pentax P-TTL to Nikon iTTL if you so want.

If you want to buy an HSS strobe for Pentax, it can be a Nikon one.

12-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

It was logical to assume, yes, but worth clarifying. Without understanding the tech involved, I imagine the designers' had to actively create the functions and parameters that are 'passed through' .... That it doesn't automatically come in one big ready made bundle ... ?
12-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was logical to assume, yes, but worth clarifying. Without understanding the tech involved, I imagine the designers' had to actively create the functions and parameters that are 'passed through' .... That it doesn't automatically come in one big ready made bundle ... ?
No, that's not what 'pass through' means, Nigel.

The HDMI output from your Pentax is just pass through of what you see in the viewfinder, for instance.

It's very simple and reliable, and for instance, you see on your big screen all the display settings unmodified, whether you wanted to or not.

This conversion of Pentax to Nikon protocol is where genuine engineering needs to come into play, though.

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2016 at 04:12 PM.
12-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I think we were talking about the same thing in language terms ....I was just questioning whether the technical development of the radio protocol would have needed an active decision and assembly of the various aspects and features, or whether it was effectively a 'pre-packed' bunch of information to simply convert to a radio signal.

The point was that if it needed active decisions, then there was potential for something not to be included.

It the emulation is of an extension cord set-up, then in fact a true implementation of that would require the 'contrast control sync' mode to be set on the off -camera flashes. That is certainly something to be considered and tried here with any testing.

Last edited by mcgregni; 12-20-2016 at 03:36 AM.