Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Acon R930 Question

I have a quick question about the above flash triggers,

I have read this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/300794-acon-r...00-sync-9.html and posted the question there but the last response was over a month ago so I worry that the thread may be in active...

My question is: can I utilize 2 AF 540 FGZ's (first gen) both in P-TTL mode or HSS mode with the single Tx? I have tried to read the manual and it looks like I can, however, the manual is a little hard to read in spots and I was hoping someone here could answer the question simply.

Many thanks!

12-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote

I have read this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/300794-acon-r...00-sync-9.html and posted the question there but the last response was over a month ago so I worry that the thread may be in active...

My question is: can I utilize 2 AF 540 FGZ's (first gen) both in P-TTL mode or HSS mode with the single Tx? I have tried to read the manual and it looks like I can, however, the manual is a little hard to read in spots and I was hoping someone here could answer the question simply.

Many thanks!
Of cause you can do things like this, as long as you set them in different group. and the mixture of the PTTL HSS is correct.
12-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Andy!

That is what I was hoping for.

I think the manual will make more sense with I am actually holding the triggers in hand.

Do you know when the update version that was talked about back in october/november will come out?
12-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the reality is, W.j, that once you've got it all working and gained reliable control over the automatic P-TTL exposure balance from the Acon Tx, that it will in fact be YOUR report and experience that will inform most of us here .

12-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Too add to the manual there is this video... It does make it a little more confusing, but perhaps someone out there can help add a little more context to it.

12-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote

Many thanks!
The one way I think that should work reliably is to just use one R930 pair and couple the two AF540FGZs optically.
Basically this then works as if you had a wireless master 540 on the camera and a wireless slave 540 somewhere (page 44 of the flash manual).

Changing things around for different groups on the Acons with their funky LED "interface" is a secret science few have mastered (andy888 seems the only expert on this).
12-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Changing things around for different groups on the Acons with their funky LED "interface" is a secret science few have mastered (andy888 seems the only expert on this).
combining the video with the manual is giving some decent insight as to what to do. when i get the set up i will have to create a write up that will hopefully clarify a few things.....

12-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
control over the automatic P-TTL exposure balance
I would think that manually setting FEC via the dial on each flash is the way to go here if you want different outputs per flash. P-TTL is just going to make it all "bright enough". It cant read your mind if you want more light from the right hand flash or the left hand flash. And the camera does not provide any interface for this biasing.
12-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As referred to by ClassA on the other thread where the question was posed, this is to assume that the control over flash balancing occurs only via the standard on-flash ratios and compensations, with no additional remote control over things from the Acon Tx.

---------- Post added 19-12-16 at 19:04 ----------

The practical consideration then, if that's true, is that it kind of negates some of the advantages of radio working, ie the need to access the control panels of the flashes directly remains.

---------- Post added 19-12-16 at 19:08 ----------

The real breakthrough, for those of us who like to use multi-flash P-TTL, will be with a trigger that adds remote control over flash compensation and lighting ratios.
12-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am working on a write up based on my understanding of the manual and the video that i posted earlier of how to get them set up for P-TTL mode. Hopefully once it's done Andy888 will be able to confirm the steps are correct.

There is a way to reduce the power of the flash for each channel, however, it applies only to manual mode and wont work with the P-TTL mode for the flashes. That will have to be set on the flash itself either through the flashes exposure compensation menu or the power menu.
12-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The practical consideration then, if that's true, is that it kind of negates some of the advantages of radio working, ie the need to access the control panels of the flashes directly remains.
?

Optical triggering or cables have the same requirement, Nigel.

The Pentax control flash signal is the same to all recipients, and the camera is not even aware of how many flashes it's responsible for.

You could have an eight flash setup and P-TTL will still happily do its thing.
12-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Please report back with how it works for you. I know that personally, I could never use triggers without an LCD for a multiple flash set-up. I hope you are successful and enlighten us. Maybe I'm dumber than most, but I could not follow that video.
12-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Please report back with how it works for you. I know that personally, I could never use triggers without an LCD for a multiple flash set-up. I hope you are successful and enlighten us. Maybe I'm dumber than most, but I could not follow that video.
I emulate the pros with multiple setups - manual. The Yongnuo TX has a nice LCD display and interface, and it's cheap.

12-19-2016, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I emulate the pros with multiple setups - manual. The Yongnuo TX has a nice LCD display and interface, and it's cheap.
That is what I use now. My only real interest in these is HSS, or the occasional time where TTL is preferable.
12-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My point was that we look to two clear advantages when moving to radio triggers .... The removal of distance and line-of-sight limitations, plus the addition of remote control over things. Here, with P-TTL, we unfortunately cannot take advantage of the latter one.