Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Cactus V6 II with Metz 48AF-1

Will a Cactus V6 II work with a Metz 48AF-1?

12-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not listed as being compatible, but might work under the Auto mode the same as the Metz AF-52-1
12-20-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Remember you need two V6II units, assuming they're compatible. (You just wrote 'will a Cactus V6II work')
12-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Remember you need two V6II units, assuming they're compatible. (You just wrote 'will a Cactus V6II work')
I want to know if the V6II works as a receiver with a Metz 48AF-1. The V6 is supposed to work with the 48AF-1. No need to spend extra on the V6II if it does not work with my flash. I will probably go with a V6II for the transmitter on camera just for future compatibility with RF60x units that I hope to add later.

12-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

If a V6 works with the 48AF-1 then the V6 II may not. The V6 uses analogue control protocol only, whereas the V6 II is digital only. So unless the flash supports both modes of operation, only one receiver type is going to operate optimally without just offering manual control.
12-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
So unless the flash supports both modes of operation, only one receiver type is going to operate optimally without just offering manual control.
The Metz 48 AF-1 is bound to support the digital protocol. Otherwise, it would not work with today's Pentax cameras that do not use analogue TTL control (i.e, all of them with the exception of one very old *ist model that still supported analogue TTL).

Many Metz units have been supporting both analogue TTL and digital TTL. A recent set of firmware upgrades, however, removed analogue TTL support for some models. So if anything, a firmware upgrade to a respective Metz model will sabotage the V6, but the V6II should work in any event.

I write "should" because the generic Pentax profile of the V6II should work with the Metz 48 AF-1 but I think there is no dead sure way of knowing without trying it. If it works, then the V6II Profiler software should allow one to create a customised 48 AF-1 profile for the V6II. This might be useful, in case the generic Pentax profile is not accurate enough.
08-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Hello,

I know I'm a bit late on this thread, but has anyone been able to try the v6ii + 48AF-1 combo? The 50 is officially supported, so I would guess the 48 works too, but I'd love to get a definite answer.

08-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hello, I have a K3II, V6II HSS firmware 1.1.013, V6 and 48 AF-1.

I used two configurations that give partial support for the 48AF-1.

CACTUS V6II transmitter on top of the camera - Pentax camera, Canon flash (I suppose manual is more adecuate), power sync
CACTUS V6 receiver with Metz on top - tested profiles Metz 44AF-1 and 50AF-1

With both profiles you can sync up to 1/180, and control the power of the remote flash in 1/3 EV steps. You can't control the flash zoom.

With 50 AF-1 profile, you can't 'test', that is, if you push the V6II trigger's button, the remote flash doesn't fire, but you can see the that the V6 II is receiving the fire signal. Also, with the 50AF-1 profile, you don't have power sync. If you select speeds above 1/180, the flash doesn't fire.

With 44AF-1, you can do a normal test, so if you push the V6II trigger button, the flash fires at the selecte power.
With 44AF-1, with speeds above 1/180, the remote flash is fired at full power and you get power sync.

Not bad support. Hope this info could be useful.

Regards,
Javier.

---------- Post added 14-08-18 at 10:14 PM ----------

NOTES AND ADVICES:

* I have firmware 5.0 on my Metz. I read about a issue with firmware 6.0 related to the analog TTL support and the Metz/Cactus, but I don't remember exactly, so I never upgraded to v6.0
* The Metz is a great flash, durable, but the menu is horrible. Take care with the battery door, mine is broken
* Use high drain batteries to get the most of this flash. With good batteries and flash in good condition, you should get no more that 3.5 seconds after a full discharge. There is a way to refresh the capacitor on the manual, I think you have just to set the flash to ON during 10 min, and it's done.
08-16-2018, 03:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

[UPDATE]
I have uploaded the new 'A', versions for V6II & V6, and I noticed a lack of compatibility.
Now the 44AF-1 profile doesn't work, only the 50AF-1, without powersync.
Also, my SB-28 profile were affected and is working worse.

So I recomment to keep the versions prior to 'A'.

Regards.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The V6 doesn't support the XTTL firmware. I'm surprised if you were able to install the A version firmware onto the V6 .....?

If using a V6/V6II combination then only the multi-brand (manual mode only) firmware can be used.
08-16-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The V6 doesn't support the XTTL firmware. I'm surprised if you were able to install the A version firmware onto the V6 .....?

If using a V6/V6II combination then only the multi-brand (manual mode only) firmware can be used.
Hello, as far as I understood, there are new versions for V6 II/V6:

A new multibrand HSS for V6 II, that is labelled now as 'A'... <i donīt remember more>, but is the new multibrand one, not the XTTL one
A new version for the V6, labelled V61.A.001 or similar.

At the begginig, there was a bit of confusion for me because the new labelling, but I'm sure I used HSS-only versions.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sure, let's check that out....I did have a look at the V6 firmware release notes on their website, and the most recent version listed is a multi-brand type from 2016. ...I didn't see any later than that. Perhaps there's something newer available from the installer software, but they always update the release notes .....
08-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, let's check that out....I did have a look at the V6 firmware release notes on their website, and the most recent version listed is a multi-brand type from 2016. ...I didn't see any later than that. Perhaps there's something newer available from the installer software, but they always update the release notes .....
I believe the notes on the Cactus website are out of date, ie, not up to date with the most recent firmware updates. At least as of today.
08-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I had the same problem yesterday looking for updated documentation, there was nothing about the new releases.
There is a note about the new versions here: New Multi-brand HSS firmware in the testing ? Cactus Community
If you download the new updated 3.07, you will see the new firmware available, for V6 II and V6.

Regards.

---------- Post added 16-08-18 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I believe the notes on the Cactus website are out of date, ie, not up to date with the most recent firmware updates. At least as of today.
Exactly ... I asked you the same yesterday
08-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for getting me up to date with things! It's what I've been waiting for, as since moving to XTTL with my two RF60 flashes my original V6 has stayed in it's box. Now it will come out again and give me a third light (manual / non HSS). It's great to see that Cactus have fulfilled the promise to bring that backwards compatibility!