Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Thanks I have ND filters.. Thats my point. without spending more money..That's my only choice. Something the main brands dont have to do..
?

With the other brands, you *always* spend more money for HSS strobes. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Leica don't make any, they're all third-party.

Flash of the kind you're talking about is a Big Boy's game, it's not bargain stuff, and a good wireless trigger is just part of the cost of playing.

One day I'd like to get something like a Wistro, and it won't bother me one bit that the label says Godox instead of Pentax.

Last edited by clackers; 12-30-2016 at 02:48 AM.
12-30-2016, 02:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIC, Pentax needs a successor to P-TTL that is at least as capable as Nikon's CLS.

Even Nikon has dumped CLS with the D5/D500. I had nothing but frustrations with it.
12-30-2016, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Even Nikon has dumped CLS with the D5/D500. I had nothing but frustrations with it.
Interesting.

What were your issues with CLS?

What did Nikon replace CLS with for the D5/D500?

N.B.: I personally prefer full manual control, but I realise that not everyone thinks like that and hence believe there is a need for Pentax to come up with a better multi-light control system that features some level of automation support.
12-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I mostly use flash in day light. Triggering flashes from on on board flash means the other flashes have to be in front to see the flash and day time is too bright and doesn't register. Well was hit n miss. I'm sure fine for many people though.

Nikon have gone with a proper radio signal. But so far only in the D5/D500 and the SB-5000 flash.

It's pretty unlikely I'd ever go back to OEM flashes. Pretty darn happy with my Godox system (AD600, AD360 and 3 x V860ii).

12-30-2016, 05:28 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Flash of the kind you're talking about is a Big Boy's game, it's not bargain stuff, and a good wireless trigger is just part of the cost of playing.
Actually thats not true.... The portable strobes from Godox.. (which are setting the market alight) The Witsro AD360ii and the AD600BM Have 2.4GHZ receivers built in.. So the only addition is a £30 trigger... (X1T). For full power control of the light. High speed sync and Manual or TTL shooting.

The X1T trigger can be used on a Pentax camera to fire the strobe in manual control. retaining the power control.... But losing HSS and TTL control. The HSS control can be regained by purchasing the Cactus V6ii.

I too dont care what the brand name says on top..As long as its reliable... But the point im making is, is that at present the newer technology isnt backing Pentax. So easier to swap brands than keep finding work around solutions..... rant over...

Last edited by stub; 12-30-2016 at 05:52 AM.
12-30-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I find those points understandable, if that is the equipment and working technical approach you want. Regarding HSS, I am a strong proponent of automatic control for HSS exposures, but then I am using it mainly in fairly dynamic environments, plus a lot of on-camera stuff, so P-TTL with my Pentax flashes is great for that .....

Now for controlled, outdoor modelling shoots, well that is really quite different, and I think many here would question the need, or even desirability, of TTL for a multi-strobe set up for that situation. In fact I'm sure that even with HSS many would advocate full manual control. I do wonder if the need for TTL with the strobes as you say you need is really worth the cost of a total system change in order to get it, when the alternative manual options with Pentax could still do the job well. ....
12-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks I have ND filters.. Thats my point. without spending more money..That's my only choice. Something the main brands dont have to do..
I understand. It is nicer to have more options but the shoe fits other brands also. For example try finding a Nikon DSLR with workable focus peaking. I was primarily pointing out the fact that this video showcased a very sought after portrait photographer using Canon who does not use HSS. The video explained why to some degree.

12-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Now for controlled, outdoor modelling shoots, well that is really quite different, and I think many here would question the need, or even desirability, of TTL for a multi-strobe set up for that situation. In fact I'm sure that even with HSS many would advocate full manual control. I do wonder if the need for TTL with the strobes as you say you need is really worth the cost of a total system change in order to get it, when the alternative manual options with Pentax could still do the job well. ....
Nigel, I totally agree with your outlook. Im not really an advocate of TTL myself for a model shoot.. I was merely commenting that it is an option in other makes... Unless using manual mode..And sync speed or less

---------- Post added 30-12-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I understand. It is nicer to have more options but the shoe fits other brands also. For example try finding a Nikon DSLR with workable focus peaking. I was primarily pointing out the fact that this video showcased a very sought after portrait photographer using Canon who does not use HSS. The video explained why to some degree.
Yes agree to a point... But a subtle difference between choosing not to, and it's simply not possible...
Plus the Canon speedlight in your video. wass fired by a £60 Yongnuo YN-E3 compatible trigger.. To fire an AF540FGZ requires Cactus V6ii transmitter and receiver to operate...£180. Unless just firing in manual mode at sync speed or less..

Last edited by stub; 12-30-2016 at 08:34 AM.
12-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus the Canon speedlight in your video. wass fired by a £60 Yongnuo YN-E3 compatible trigger.. To fire an AF540FGZ requires Cactus V6ii transmitter and receiver to operate...£180. Unless just firing in manual mode at sync speed or less..
Actually they used the ST-e3 canon trigger per the intro. That's a $300 trigger. I believe the YN-e3 is very reasonable substitute so your point is well understood.
12-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, Gene, but since proprietary OEM flash systems don't sell to professionals for pricing and incompatibility reasons, they won't be attractive to prosumers or entry level buyers either.

Already, people I talk to can't believe a flash can cost more than a camera .
I have a studio and use studio strobes on manual with wireless triggers, and I have used them on location in the few gigs I do each year. I still find P-TTL and Sony's version very useful when I show up at a family gathering or party with one camera, one lens and a speedlight. I may just be an oddity, but I suspect there is some reason manufacturers sell these things other than for me.

Not using expensive flashes is a chicken or egg question. Releasing the protocols would bring the price down and increase acceptance. Given the fact that Pentax did not even update its DSLR flash line for almost a decade, I can't believe that the flash is where they make much of their money.
12-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Triggering flashes from on on board flash means the other flashes have to be in front to see the flash and day time is too bright and doesn't register.
When I was suggesting a more comprehensive flash system for Pentax, I wasn't thinking about one that uses optical triggering.

I only meant to reference "CLS" for its features, not the "optical triggering" aspect of its traditional implementation.