Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Af500ftz and cactus v6?

Does anyone know if the cactus v6 can provide manual control of this flash?

Does the same apply to the v6ii trigger and can it remotely zoom the af500ftz?

01-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does anyone know if the cactus v6 can provide manual control of this flash?

Does the same apply to the v6ii trigger and can it remotely zoom the af500ftz?
In this V6 compatibility compilation thread, the AF-500 FTZ is listed as "not working".

In order to work with the V6II, a flash needs to support P-TTL (or another supported digital flash protocol), which the AF-500 FTZ unfortunately does not.
01-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So v6 works with analog TTL sometimes and v6ii requires digital TTL Formats?
01-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I did a little research on your original question and from what I can tell, the AF500FTZ provides a limited number of things that may be controlled through the hot shoe or 5P sync cable. Those are:
  • Real time flash duration (OTF TTL bodies only Edit: OTF digital TTL bodies only)
  • AF Assist lamp
  • Auto-zoom
Unless the trigger is able to emulate either analog or digital TTL, there is no way to attenuate the AF500FTZ through the hot shoe.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Correction regarding analog TTL support
01-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes.

The V6 works with many analogue TTL flashes from different flash systems, even when it does not have a predefined power profile for them.

Either one uses another existing profile (from a flash with a similar guide number) or one creates a custom profile through the profile creation function.

I'd say TTL flashes that do not work with the V6 are the exception rather than the rule, but they do exist.

Unfortunately, I have no insight into why some flashes don't work.
01-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless the trigger is able to emulate either analog or digital TTL, there is no way to attenuate the AF500FTZ through the hot shoe.
Isn't emulating analog ttl exactly what the v6 is supposed to do? I appreciate the effort on the research. I am likely to add some nikon sb-24/6/8 type units to the arsenal and not worry about this too much.
01-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Isn't emulating analog ttl exactly what the v6 is supposed to do?
Class A addressed this nicely. As near as I can tell, the problem lies with the AF500FTZ and supported protocols. I went back to the flash manual and found this gem on page 10, "When mounted on non-KAF2 or KAF cameras, the AF500FTZ works only in the manual mode and dedicated/TTL operation is not possible." There are three Pentax TTL flash protocols: 1) analog TTL, 2) digital TTL, and 3) digital P-TTL. The AF500FTZ apparently only supports #2.*

I have edited my previous post to reflect this.

Steve

* My Sigma EF 610 DG Super has a similar limitation and is also on the V6 "Don't Work" list. It supports digital TTL/P-TTL, but not analog TTL

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2017 at 10:03 AM.
01-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Class A addressed this nicely. As near as I can tell, the problem lies with the AF500FTZ and supported protocols. I went back to the flash manual and found this gem on page 10, "When mounted on non-KAF2 or KAF cameras, the AF500FTZ works only in the manual mode and dedicated/TTL operation is not possible." There are three Pentax TTL flash protocols: 1) analog TTL, 2) digital TTL, and 3) digital P-TTL. The AF500FTZ apparently only supports #2.*

I have edited my previous post to reflect this.

Steve

* My Sigma EF 610 DG Super has a similar limitation and is also on the V6 "Don't Work" list. It supports digital TTL/P-TTL, but not analog TTL
Thanks for clarifying this. Does the v6ii work with it then since it supposedly supports digital ttl or is that only p-ttl?