Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a tripod as a light stand?

Despite my specific instructions to B&H to hold my entire order of new flash gear until everything was ready, they've shipped everything...except my light stands.

So, any ideas for makeshift light stands? I might be able to get my wife to hold one for a while, I have a single light stand already, and is there some easy way to convert a set of tripod legs into a light stand?

01-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
and is there some easy way to convert a set of tripod legs into a light stand?
Mount the correct adaptor on top.
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Metz 58AF-1 flash came with a stand which includes a tripod mount. My Cactus V5 wireless triggers have them built in.
01-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My Metz 58AF-1 flash came with a stand which includes a tripod mount. My Cactus V5 wireless triggers have them built in.
Hmm. I'll have to see if my new light modifiers have tripod mounts when they show up tomorrow. Thanks!

01-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done it, I've found my tripod heads don't super enjoy holding an umbrella but it'll work.
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a simple speedlight I have used old 35mm or old digital camera bodies as a hot shoe with a tripod socket in a pinch. (Assuming wireless triggering (optical or RF)
01-09-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually this is a useful ability, tripods can be a lot heavier than flash stands - and more stable on uneven ground. I have used tripods for lighting stands with unusual or extremely heavy light modifiers.

01-10-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Table lamps typically have the same threading as a tripod mount. If you're talking dpeedlights and not a heavy strobe, they sometimes come with a plastic stand for wireless use, and those stands often have tripod threads. I've used lamps to hold flashes a few times. Even popped the lampshade on upside down to soften the light a couple times.

A great thing to have in your kit is a manfrotto super clamp: https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035RL-Super-Clamp-Standard/dp/B0018LQVIA
Bit heavy to tote around but it can turn any sturdy object with an inch or two diameter into a tripod or light stand. There's also a "magic arm" gooseneck attachment you can get for it to aim a light more flexibly.
01-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, my tripod's screw is both too short and too thin for my softboxes to grip on to anything substantial. Fortunately, my light stands have shipped, they should be here Friday.
01-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Despite my specific instructions to B&H to hold my entire order of new flash gear until everything was ready, they've shipped everything...except my light stands.

So, any ideas for makeshift light stands? I might be able to get my wife to hold one for a while, I have a single light stand already, and is there some easy way to convert a set of tripod legs into a light stand?
You need a 1/4x20 to 3/8x20 bushing.
01-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note that some tripod heads will have a hard time keeping flash umbrellas (and other cantilevered weights) in place.