Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone used the Aokatec Wireless PTTL Flash Triggers lately?

I looked and very little has been said about the Aokatec Wireless Flash Triggers. I found this thread from 2013: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/236326-aokate...riggers-3.html and not much else. When we say that Acon is the only P-TTL trigger we are wrong.

Aokatec seems to use a weird hybrid design translating the optical information from the pop up flash or hot shoe flash into RF signals and requiring some awkward mounting of sensors and transmitters but it does appear to work.

Aokatec - Products

Curious to hear about anyone's experience using them.
Also not sure these are still sold. They show as a product on the website but not in shopping section and Amazon doesn't carry them anymore. I did find one receiver for sale new for $59.95 but not transmitter. I've bought a pair of Cactus v6 triggers and an RF60 so I'm unlikely to be in the market but they were listed as the only m43 TTL option which could help my dad.

01-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm surprised - no one knows?
01-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

I know and have a pair of it. Don't spend time with it. It use optical signal to fool the TTL and is tricky to find wher the IR sensor is on each flash you are using. I was getting old trying to fix it. It worth a big nothing.

The best solution is always radio and in my opinion everything else is for fun. In real world when you need to be fast wwith settings you cannot play around with this instable solutions, so I cannot reccoment Aokatek
01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriels Quote
I know and have a pair of it. Don't spend time with it. It use optical signal to fool the TTL and is tricky to find wher the IR sensor is on each flash you are using. I was getting old trying to fix it. It worth a big nothing.

The best solution is always radio and in my opinion everything else is for fun. In real world when you need to be fast wwith settings you cannot play around with this instable solutions, so I cannot reccoment Aokatek
Thanks - it seems rather cumbersome at a minimum even if it were reliable. I have picked up the Cactus system at this point and I have intention of using it. My dad is likely to be good with simple optical triggering for his off camera flash.

01-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a pair somewhere. It did work when I tested it, but it's fiddlier than either the Acon or a P-TTL cable so I haven't used it since.