Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best way to anchor a lightstand in wind?

Hi all,

What is your method of anchoring lightstands when working where you have to move them frequently? I know you can use sandbags. I was thinking of how to implement a solution of using tent stakes where it would not be messy. I thought of using a retractable cord with a stake that could be attached to the lightstand. Preferably compact like a id badge holder, but the cord would have to be 10 feet. Something like a dog leash, but more compact. Googling, I found this, perfect, but too expensive for me. Dog N Roll Saddle Leash - 4x4 North America

What do you folks do?

01-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't taken light stands outside much yet, but I've often considered tent stakes. I really like the three sided aluminum ones. Tey're small, light and don't bend like the regular ones. Instead of 10 foot lines, what about a line directly underneath, or three short lines in between the three legs. If the lines are tight, I imagine it could hold it. Perhaps try different methods in the backyard?
01-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't tried this, but since I have so much of it around, I'd probably try something with tent stakes and bungee cord.
01-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I prefer to use a human. When one isn't available, sandbags are your quickest and most effective option. What are you mounting (umbrella, softball, bare flash, etc)?

01-12-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strobist: Against the Wind: Keep Your Light Upright

Sandbags, Voice Activated Sand Bag Stand-in (Human), Weights, Equipment bags, etc.
01-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I usually don't even use a stand, I usually have someone hold either a softbox or a diffusion panel. In my last session though, I did not have a helper and was having a lot of trouble with the light stand blowing over. With cheap Yongnuo flashes I was not as concerned, but just sprung for a Godox AD360, so don't want to take chances.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Strobist: Against the Wind: Keep Your Light Upright

Sandbags, Voice Activated Sand Bag Stand-in (Human), Weights, Equipment bags, etc.
Thanks, I actually did see that just before I posted. I do need to utilize my equipment bags better. Also, I think using stakes would be effective, but when moving from one location to another, I could see myself trying to save time and leaving them attached to the stand, and having the cords get tangled, etc. That's where I thought of the retractable cord idea. That dog leash product I linked would be perfect if the cord was 8ft and it was under $20.
01-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used weights with my pop up tents at outdoor events but the leg configuration is different.
01-12-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Bringing an empty bag and just filling it with objects around the shooting area might be a way. Fill it, use it, empty it, pack it, and move to next location. You could put it in another bag when packing it to avoid soiling any other packed items.

01-12-2017, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Bringing an empty bag and just filling it with objects around the shooting area might be a way. Fill it, use it, empty it, pack it, and move to next location.
Blades of grass, idle children, other people's camera equipment, litter and trash, stray birds.
01-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You could bring a couple of empty water bottles if you were going to a populated area (buildings, people).