Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Cactus V6II / off camera HSS with a P-TTL flash

Hello,

I finally bought a pair of v6II. (might have to buy another pair if they're able to do what I'd like them to do)

I also just ordered a Shanny FN600FGZ, which is P-TTL and HSS compatible.

I chose this flash because I might want to use it as fill-in for candids, on camera, so HSS and P-TTL would allow for quick operation. (no cactus involved there)

I also own some cheap Neewer I-TTL/HSS flash that works perfectly in HSS mode with the Cactus trigger (not so much in Power sync mode unfortunately, black bars)

What I would like to know is the following : will the cactus trigger be able to fire the Shanny in HSS mode off camera (of course provided it's seated on a cactus in RX mode with the TX on camera) and also allow power control from the TX cactus ?

I also plan to buy a Pluto trigger for high speed photography and I was wondering if there was a way to trigger the Cactus from an external device (which I doubt since it doesn't have a PC sync connector) as I will need the flashes to be triggered independantly from the camera shutter.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

01-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You sure about that model? I couldn't find it nor anything for Pentax on the Shanny site.
01-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
completely sure, there's even a review by a forum member on this very part of the forum.
01-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Well I'll be darned, yep I see the review now. Wonder why it doesn't show up on their site, oh well. I don't know if it would. From my checking Cactus seems to have certain flashes they wont work with. The last time I checked my Sigma 610 super wouldn't. I would contact Catus to find out for sure.

01-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
I guess I'll have my answer soon then, the flash is supposed to arrive on wednesday.
01-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In theory I believe the Cactus/Shanny HSS combo should be able to function, although it may require specific profilng. The technologies appear on the surface to be compatible ....ie it's a P-TTL HSS flash (on-camera). I would post on the Cactus Community Forum for advice on the profiling possibilities and whether or not there are any other issue to consider.
01-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Well I'll be darned, yep I see the review now. Wonder why it doesn't show up on their site, oh well. I don't know if it would. From my checking Cactus seems to have certain flashes they wont work with. The last time I checked my Sigma 610 super wouldn't. I would contact Catus to find out for sure.
Sadly, my Sigma 610 Super wouldn't either. Having HSS and P-TTL seems to good to be true. Got pretty excited by the workaround posted in the forum using HSS by stacking the FT-16 on the Cactus, but following the exact instructions of the OP, I still could not get HSS with my Godox 850s like the OP.

01-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
In theory I believe the Cactus/Shanny HSS combo should be able to function, although it may require specific profilng. The technologies appear on the surface to be compatible ....ie it's a P-TTL HSS flash (on-camera). I would post on the Cactus Community Forum for advice on the profiling possibilities and whether or not there are any other issue to consider.
Just use the Acon and be done with it!

01-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Acon supports P-TTL and HSS? Their website domain has expired.
01-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
Acon supports P-TTL and HSS? Their website domain has expired.
Wow, if they've gone out of business I'm glad I bought mine.

Yes, Angie, P-TTL and HSS, small and low cost.

01-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

OK, if it works easily then I'm all for it! There's a legitimate comparison and contrast to consider between the Acon and Cactus P-TTL offerings though. I know you value the smaller size of the Acons Clackers, but the flip side of that are the user interface benefits that stem from the larger footprint of the V6II.

I've been testing the Cactus products just today after a new firmware update for the RF60/x flashes, and the ease of use / flexibility case for the V6II is very strong I think. The practical implementation of the different features available now under the 'X-TTL' firmware really is superb. The advantage of being able to see at all times the current active groups, their mode (TTL / M), their output setting (Compensation amount / Power level) and with a quick press in on the dial the zoom setting, cannot be overemphasised. I'm only working with a 2-flash X-TTL setup .... these advantages will increase exponentially for each additional light/s added into further 3rd and 4th groups.

The methods of selecting and switching between exposure modes, multi-group or single group adjustments, group on/off, and zoom settings is all really well designed and thought out. It really is literally 'under your fingertips' with the benefit of easily visible display information.

I do accept of course that the various issues over compatibilities with third party P-TTL flashes is a frustration, and that it has been a confusing picture for potential buyers. My own attitude to it is that the Cactus system is not so ideal for those looking to get extra mileage out of third party flashes. You might be better to keep using those for on-camera work. But if you are looking to build a new Radio P-TTL / HSS / Manual system then the V6II combined with their own RF60/x flashes is unbeatable I think.

Last edited by mcgregni; 01-23-2018 at 10:52 AM.
01-24-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #12

OK, if it works easily then I'm all for it! There's a legitimate comparison and contrast to consider between the Acon and Cactus P-TTL offerings though. I know you value the smaller size of the Acons Clackers, but the flip side of that are the user interface benefits that stem from the larger footprint of the V6II.

I've been testing the Cactus products just today after a new firmware update for the RF60/x flashes, and the ease of use / flexibility case for the V6II is very strong I think. The practical implementation of the different features available now under the 'X-TTL' firmware really is superb. The advantage of being able to see at all times the current active groups, their mode (TTL / M), their output setting (Compensation amount / Power level) and with a quick press in on the dial the zoom setting, cannot be overemphasised. I'm only working with a 2-flash X-TTL setup .... these advantages will increase exponentially for each additional light/s added into further 3rd and 4th groups.

The methods of selecting and switching between exposure modes, multi-group or single group adjustments, group on/off, and zoom settings is all really well designed and thought out. It really is literally 'under your fingertips' with the benefit of easily visible display information.

I do accept of course that the various issues over compatibilities with third party P-TTL flashes is a frustration, and that it has been a confusing picture for potential buyers. My own attitude to it is that the Cactus system is not so ideal for those looking to get extra mileage out of third party flashes. You might be better to keep using those for on-camera work. But if you are looking to build a new Radio P-TTL / HSS / Manual system then the V6II combined with their own RF60/x flashes is unbeatable I think.
I've been experimenting with my Cactus v6ii and HSS using my Godox 850's and Flashpoint 360, by stacking the FT-16 transmitter and it's working fabulously, and I am pleased to have an HSS wireless option now. I purchased the Sigma 610 super for the P-TTL and HSS, but have grown tired of being limited to on-camera or tethered with a cable. In a perfect world my cactus would work with the Sigma and I wouldn't have to invest in any further lighting equipment, but alas, I agree with Nigel in that the ergonomics of the Cactus interface as excellent--small enough to be compact but large enough that I can manage the buttons and see the settings easily. Nothing against Acon, but when I started researching off-camera lighting I was put off by the learning curve and there seemed to be a language barrier making the technical data difficult for me to navigate and understand. Now the website has disappeared so at this point I am thinking I will sell the Sigma (still a very good flash on camera) and get the RF60x.
01-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by probez Quote
I also plan to buy a Pluto trigger for high speed photography and I was wondering if there was a way to trigger the Cactus from an external device (which I doubt since it doesn't have a PC sync connector) as I will need the flashes to be triggered independantly from the camera shutter.
The Cactus V6(II) trigger has a 3.5mm port which you can use to trigger it when it is configured as a transmitter. In receiver mode, the 3.5mm port works as an output, i.e., you can trigger other devices with it.

So, I'd say your chances that you'll be able to trigger the V6II with the Pluto trigger are good; you just need the right connector cable.
01-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My own attitude to it is that the Cactus system is not so ideal for those looking to get extra mileage out of third party flashes.
I feel that is an exaggeration when it comes to functionality. While there are exceptions, most third-party flashes work very well with the V6II. Without inside knowledge, it is difficult to put the blame on Cactus or Sigma, say. I know that Sigma flashes have caused compatibility issues in the past so perhaps they are not working 100% according to the book but one could equally argue that if a Pentax camera works with a Sigma flash, so should the Cactus device.

In any event, I think that a V6II receiver can be a great idea to give an existing flash new functionality, as long as the combination works, of course.

I'm 100% with you when it comes to purchasing a new flash. If one likes the V6II than getting an RF60x makes a ton more sense, given the combined price of a new P-TTL flash + V6II receiver. As an off-camera flash, the RF60x leaves very little to be desired, and not having to deal with an extra receiver (and its batteries) is very convenient. As a result, I'd say it rarely makes sense to get another flash + an V6II receiver. Perhaps those who like to do on-camera P-TTL flash work will prefer a regular flash + V6II, as opposed to having to use an RF60x on a camera flash bracket.
01-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The ongoing difficulties with cheap third party P-TTL flashes is the only thing detracting from the system I feel. People are understandably frustrated after buying two V6II units and expecting seamless Radio P-TTL, HSS, 2nd Curtain etc from cheap Metz / Sigma / Shanny etc flashes. Its difficult to get a clear message from a single source about exactly what does work and doesn't work. Hence my general attitude to it. Of course anyone who wants to specifically investigate and determine if any specific flash works OK or with limitations should feel free to go ahead. Their experience should benefit everyone else.

For the positive and bright side of things, check out my new Review of the V6II / RF60/x plus 'X-TTL' ...: Cactus V6II & RF60/x 'X-TTL' reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database