Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 12:22 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Finally got my Acon 930 Triggers and receivers!

For Christmas, my wife ever so kindly bought me an ACON Flash transmitter and 2 receivers. After a little back and forth with the company about camera and such they sent them on their way direct from Thailand... Or i think that is where they came from (not made in China just designed there surprisingly.) Of course during they where on in transit I started to read as much as I could about them and started to get a little worried I may not like then when they finally arrived.

The came in last week and I finally pulled them out of the package about Tuesday of this week to see how they work. FIrst thing i did was download and update the firmware to the latest released version. Then I mounted them on my camera and 2 AF 540 GGZ's (1st gen) and took some test shots. HOLY COW, they worked right out of the box. The folks at the factory were ever so kind to set them up using 2 seperate groups (green and red in my case), set it to bi transmitter (where the receivers will send back flash info like if its set to contrast or HSS to the transmitter), and made sure all the 3 where set to the same channel. It was pretty much plug and play.

I took a few test shots, and wow, they work very well. I will post some photos later, but they are pretty good straight out of the box. The manual has been revised and isn't as hard to follow or as incomlete as it has been in the past. honestly, with a little patience and time, you can get your triggers set up with relative ease following the manual.

Couple of things to point out:

1. Build quality, they aren't bad. Obviously they are magnesium alloy or the like but they look well put together with decent fit and finish. I feel the button could use a little more damping to not give them such a cheap click feel but that is subjective and varies from person to person,

2. The setup can either be used with P-TTL for all groups, or manual for all groups. It has two other modes but essentially that are just a variation of P-ttl or manual.

3. You can have up 3 three groups (red, green, and yellow) However, only the red and green group are enabled from the factory, the yellow group is enabled by long pressing the top button whilst in manual mode. Also, the red group is the default group, you must have at least one receiver and transmitter combo set to red for them to work.

4. It takes a second for the transmitter to set up the connection to the receivers once the camera is turned on. They don't work immediately you must wait until the light of the front of the tranmitter and receivers is flashing rapidly in order to take photo's. The wait time is about 2-5 seconds.

5. they work nicely with eneloops. There was some concern with some folks they wouldn't but they function just fine with them.

Overall I am very impressed with them. I am happy to answer questions should any one have any. Please let me know if you do.

01-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. I've been curious about these. Interestingly the website is down or gone? Account Suspended
01-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm it was up on Tuesday when I last looked at it. Hopefully just a server issue or similar.
01-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Acon units did not work out of the box, and it took me a couple of weeks (and instructions from more knowledgeable and ever-helpful Pentaxians) to finally download and install the correct software. Once done, they worked fine. You must use the correct turn-on sequence. I suggest some little label on the transmitter = "TRFC" for transmitter, receiver, flash, camera.

01-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had read that the initial release of these had some problems... I was worried about that when they were being shipped. At least they were able to get you going after awhile.
01-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Thanks for sharing. I've been curious about these. Interestingly the website is down or gone? Account Suspended

Must have been temporary. Cliucking on your link shows the normal page withe the product: Flash Trigger - acon-photo

There are new firmwares v5.3 and 6.01 available.

Last edited by beholder3; 01-30-2017 at 06:05 AM.
01-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Must have been temporary. Cliucking on your link shows the normal page withe the product: Flash Trigger - acon-photo
This has happened numerous times. Is going to their website and emailing with them the only way to purchase them?
01-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This has happened numerous times. Is going to their website and emailing with them the only way to purchase them?
It was when I bought mine. To me it was worth it. Having a full PTTL/HSS radio connected flash is very convenient.

01-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am very satisfied so far..... And, the revised manual is nice too.

To order, you can order through the site. Then wait for the email where they ask you to provide you phone number and what camera you have and they shop them out.
01-31-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's really encouraging to have your positive report, and in particular the fact that you are working with 2 P-TTL slaves, which previously has sounded like a rather hit and miss affair! I look forward to more updates, instructions and example photos, thanks. In particular I am interested to know whether the exposure compensation and 'wireless lighting ratios' settings have reliable effect. Also if it is possible to control flash compensation selectively and remotely (which would be a significant advance over the standard optical Pentax system).
02-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I am very satisfied so far..... And, the revised manual is nice too.

To order, you can order through the site. Then wait for the email where they ask you to provide you phone number and what camera you have and they shop them out.
I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchase. I'm always tempted by PTTL. I'm using manual flashes at themoment.. the PTTL would probably help my keeper rate when shooting at parties.
12-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There current website is:
acon-tech - wonderful photography

for anyone interested.
12-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #13

Cant see K1 listed as a compatable camera.. Not cheap...!! Think i'll be sticking with my manual triggers...
12-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Cant see K1 listed as a compatable camera.. Not cheap...!! Think i'll be sticking with my manual triggers...
$60 per unit for something that lets you do TTL, HSS and is that small?

There are reasons why I hesitate to recommend them now - including that I don't know that they're a viable, ongoing business now - but price isn't one of them, Stub!
12-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
$60 per unit for something that lets you do TTL, HSS and is that small?

There are reasons why I hesitate to recommend them now - including that I don't know that they're a viable, ongoing business now - but price isn't one of them, Stub!
I never knew this version existed:
Store - acon-tech

Allows Nikon CLS use on Pentax. Wow!