Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
There is no radio trigger system provided for the Shanny Pentax version as of yet .... There was some hint that one might be coming some time.

The Cactus or Acon triggers should in theory be able to trigger the Shanny P-TTL unit for Manual HSS (which is what it offers as a slave). This remains to be put to the test and reported here though.

For the money you'd spend on the flashes plus extra needed V6II Rx units I still believe the RF60 models would offer more bang per buck than other P-TTL types.

acon R930 already known. the cactus remain unknown.

But I am doubting if the people only afford 120 USD for this flash would afford 200USD for the triggers.

I think the 120 USD acon is far more the limit for them. see my video here:

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjQ3NzU3MTUyOA==/v.swf

02-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Can't seem to find any Cactus products on Chinese websites. And Acon is not even available on Amazon UK.

I am guessing getting a Cactus V6 or V6ii with 2x RF 60 or RF 60X is the best deal for HSS right now. (Still, don't understand how cactus system works)

Can buy Cactus ones from the UK and find a friend to bring them to me... Meanwhile, i can get 2 YN660 to replace my broken 3 YN560

RF60: 130 pounds
RF60x: 165 pounds
V6ii: 90 pounds
V6: 31 Pounds
02-05-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

You need the V6II model for HSS. The RF60s with the latest firmware will already be ready to use. The system provides manual mode exposure control remotely in 4 groups, plus remote flash head zoom control. There are a few other features like delays and multi - flashes. Check out the Cactus website and community forum for full details .....

https://www.cactus-image.com/products.html
02-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Can't seem to find any Cactus products on Chinese websites. And Acon is not even available on Amazon UK.

I am guessing getting a Cactus V6 or V6ii with 2x RF 60 or RF 60X is the best deal for HSS right now. (Still, don't understand how cactus system works)

Can buy Cactus ones from the UK and find a friend to bring them to me... Meanwhile, i can get 2 YN660 to replace my broken 3 YN560

RF60: 130 pounds
RF60x: 165 pounds
V6ii: 90 pounds
V6: 31 Pounds

By what mean it is better?

Pay the TTL falsh money to get cheap manual flash system. That is not good idea.

My recommendation is: pay manual flash money to get manual flash.

godox X1N: 25 pounds.
acon R930II HSS converter 95 pounds.

the TT600 is about 40 pounds each.

half of money and much better result. the TT600 is of GN60, higher GN . HSS capable. 5 groups.

cool things is, you can add in many Godox studio flash if you wish. they all controlled by X1N. and this system support TTL too.

Last edited by andy888; 02-05-2017 at 07:39 AM.
02-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
By what mean it is better?

Pay the TTL falsh money to get cheap manual flash system. That is not good idea.

My recommendation is: pay manual flash money to get manual flash.

godox X1N: 25 pounds.
acon R930II HSS converter 95 pounds.

the TT600 is about 40 pounds each.

half of money and much better result. the TT600 is of GN60, higher GN . HSS capable. 5 groups.

cool things is, you can add in many Godox studio flash if you wish. they all controlled by X1N. and this system support TTL too.
That sounds cool, as i have Godox stobe at home. But I cannot find ACON anywhere, not in UK, not in China.

Cool thing about purchasing Godox and yongnuo i can buy them from china and it takes less than a month to arrive. If i were to get cactus system i have to wait my sister to come from UK, which will be towards summer.
02-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
Banned

That sounds cool, as i have Godox stobe at home. But I cannot find ACON anywhere, not in UK, not in China.

Cool thing about purchasing Godox and yongnuo i can buy them from china and it takes less than a month to arrive. If i were to get cactus system i have to wait my sister to come from UK, which will be towards summer.

That is as easy as some clicks.

Store - acon-photo
02-05-2017, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, If you search V6II in BH or Chinese sites. there are huge complaints and low stars.

I am not suprised.

I have a try on the SN600 because I am curious to know if it can work with R930, It workes. my friend were so hurry to take it back , other wise I would make a review too.
I see there are 10 5- and 4-star reviews on B&H, 3 3-stars and 7 1- and 2-star reviews. Some of those same posters have also left identical reviews on the Adorama site. I can report that every test I have thus far performed with my V6II and RF60X has been successful. I think the build quality is very good and the triggers are affordable at US$95 each. Both flash and trigger fits perfectly on my Pentax.

I feel the 1-star reviews are possibly users who have not read the instruction manuals properly before use. The manuals are well written and reasonably easy to follow.

02-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see there are 10 5- and 4-star reviews on B&H, 3 3-stars and 7 1- and 2-star reviews. Some of those same posters have also left identical reviews on the Adorama site. I can report that every test I have thus far performed with my V6II and RF60X has been successful. I think the build quality is very good and the triggers are affordable at US$95 each. Both flash and trigger fits perfectly on my Pentax.

I feel the 1-star reviews are possibly users who have not read the instruction manuals properly before use. The manuals are well written and reasonably easy to follow.

I use to make review on the V6II too. I discovered the battery cage is very thin and the most easily to brake. so i don't think abou built quality...

where as the comlex R930, in the contrast. with too simple manual, I think never a user can imagine how powerful or complex it is before make a try. It looks simple outside.

AND, review can be forged and comments can be biased. the secret is , experience and time.

I quit the v6II because

comparing to the R930, it is too ancient function. manual without light meter is paintful. and very unprofessional.

the v6ii cost 30 USD would be reasonable. but I would not use these even given free. too large and heavy. the r930 cover it and tiny.

TTL make shoting easier and possible for catch. light meter make manual professional.

Last edited by andy888; 02-10-2017 at 08:26 AM.
02-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #24

acon R930 already known. the cactus remain unknown.
The Cactus V6 II works fine with the Shanny.

Based on my experience I wouldn't recommend the Shanny though. Unless I have a bad example it doesn't seem to deliver anywhere near its rated power. Doing a side-by-side comparison with my ancient old Metz 54MZ-3, which should have comparably less power at the same zoom level, the Metz offers over a stop of extra power, which is significant if you want to use any modifiers.
02-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I use not manual because that is simple device, maybe 2 pages should be OK.
The RF60X has a 67-page user manual and the V6II, a 100-page manual. I think you would struggle to fit that information (or an understanding of the use of the products) from 2 pages Andy!
02-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #26

Original Poster
So far my observation about wireless triggers and their fans:

Group 1: Cactus V6 is the best!!

Group 2: R930 is better!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The RF60X has a 67-page user manual and the V6II, a 100-page manual. I think you would struggle to fit that information (or an understanding of the use of the products) from 2 pages Andy!
100-page manual Ain't nobody got time for that ?
02-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
The Cactus V6 II works fine with the Shanny.

Based on my experience I wouldn't recommend the Shanny though. Unless I have a bad example it doesn't seem to deliver anywhere near its rated power. Doing a side-by-side comparison with my ancient old Metz 54MZ-3, which should have comparably less power at the same zoom level, the Metz offers over a stop of extra power, which is significant if you want to use any modifiers.
Paulster, are you using a custom created profile for the Shanny with the V6IIs, or a generic one ? I am just wondering if you are testing only with the triggers and whether the profile is preventing the flash from emitting it's full power? Or of course you may also have tested it's output in manual mode on the camera hot shoe as well ....
02-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Paulster, are you using a custom created profile for the Shanny with the V6IIs, or a generic one ? I am just wondering if you are testing only with the triggers and whether the profile is preventing the flash from emitting it's full power? Or of course you may also have tested it's output in manual mode on the camera hot shoe as well ....
I've tried the flash on camera and via the triggers, in manual and PTTL modes. The triggers don't make any difference to the power output and control it the same as using manual power control, so that piece is working properly. I'm pretty unimpressed by it.
02-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I remember somebody (maybe on stub's 'little review' thread) questioning the GN .... Is there any definitive way we can assess its rating on the same scale as the AF-540FGZs ?

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.
02-06-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far my observation about wireless triggers and their fans:

Group 1: Cactus V6 is the best!!

Group 2: R930 is better!!!

100-page manual Ain't nobody got time for that ?
You really don't need the manual for most things, it just explains some advanced features. On the other hand, besides Andy, I've heard the Acon system is really unintuitive.