Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
OK, If you search V6II in BH or Chinese sites. there are huge complaints and low stars.
I don't see any "huge complaints" and as MarkJerling said, the few low star ratings from quite a while ago are from users who did not get their V6II to work, probably from an inability to follow the manual or early teething problems or incompatibility with Fuji hardware.

The V6II is working well for many Pentax users and your scaremongering is a thinly veiled attempt to further push your Acon stuff. Thirteen (13) threads you created on this forum to push your Acon triggers are apparently not enough. You have to also pollute other threads with misinformation. Sad.

02-08-2017, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HSS on cheap

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
On the other hand, besides Andy, I've heard the Acon system is really unintuitive.
I think you'll find from the Acon R930 users (of which I am one) I'd agree that the user interface isn't great for multiple flash use.

However, for single off camera flash use it's easy and is Pttl exposure rather than manual exposure with the Cactus V6 II.

By the way, I use also use the Cactus V6 II (and Mark I's) and Godox triggers and Godox, Pentax and legacy Nikon flashes so I've kind of tried a bit of everything.

Pttl comes into it's own when you are feeling lazy or are in faster paced environments assuming you are using a K3 (that fixed inconsistent flash exposure on earlier models). However, if I've got the time I'd much rather shoot in manual mode and dial in my flash settings.

You'll also find a recent post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/339103-final...receivers.html) here at Pentax Forums with another satisfied Acon R930 user so it's not all bad.

Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 02-08-2017 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Additional information
02-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I think you'll find from the Acon R930 users (of which I am one) I'd agree that the user interface isn't great for multiple flash use.

However, for single off camera flash use it's easy and is Pttl exposure rather than manual exposure with the Cactus V6 II.

By the way, I use also use the Cactus V6 II (and Mark I's) and Godox triggers and Godox, Pentax and legacy Nikon flashes so I've kind of tried a bit of everything.

Pttl comes into it's own when you are feeling lazy or are in faster paced environments assuming you are using a K3 (that fixed inconsistent flash exposure on earlier models). However, if I've got the time I'd much rather shoot in manual mode and dial in my flash settings.

You'll also find a recent post (Finally got my Acon 930 Triggers and receivers! - PentaxForums.com) here at Pentax Forums with another satisfied Acon R930 user so it's not all bad.

Howie Be
I use PTTL not because lazy but for it is correct and I need that.

But when plenty of time and static shoot. and multi flashes. I some times use manual too. but only with stand alone light meter or the R930 light meter.

I refuse to use any trgger make fake manual(not allow light meter). I want to use light meter if I dont use TTL.

I have 3 pentax flashes. but do manual work I use 2 receivers. I left one be triggeted by optical by another on one of the receivers. So I have 2 groups to be controlled by R930 sender.

these are red group and green group. easy to adjust and thanks to the 2 light meter, only several clicks done.

see here

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjQ5MDczOTQ0NA==/v.swf

the interface is the only black points. it looks complex but with well designed. it can be fast. any way I don't do multi flash shoot many.
that is OK for me. I tried the v6ii also. I don't like the dial because feel no steps.

I prefer using the cheap Godox X1N and TT600 radio flash to do manual work. in door need not HSS. if need, I use R930II to make convert. as I said in previous posts. I see every flash with a receiver terrible. 1 is my limit.

these are full featrue solution. cool thing is I use one receiver and 3 flashes to make PTTL HSS strobe of course(manual capable). for HSS outside work. 1 flash GN too weak.

Last edited by andy888; 02-08-2017 at 07:30 AM.
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You really don't need the manual for most things, it just explains some advanced features. On the other hand, besides Andy, I've heard the Acon system is really unintuitive.
I've read the Acon manuals, such as they are. Incomprehensible English and cryptic information at best. Things like diagrams with buttons called "top button" and "side button" and absolutely no indication what "top button" and "side button" does. I can't comment about the actual gear - but if the written instructions are such as they are, then I'd rather deal with products that come with easy to follow manuals. Here's a screenshot of the Acon manual. The whole thing is only 8 pages and the rest is as odd as this. No doubt, some users find the triggers good, but I don't have the time to trial and error to get things to work just because the written information is sparse.

Attached Images

02-08-2017, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another part of said manual. It purports to be English.
Attached Images

02-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I think people who have never used an Acon R930 don't realise how easy it is to use (single off camera flash mode). Reading manuals is one thing. Using it in practice is another.

Here are the steps
1. Place transmitter on camera
2. Place PTTL flash on receiver
3. Turn on transmitter
4. Turn on receiver
5. Turn on flash.
6. Turn on camera.

Steps 1 and 2 are kind of a given so you really only have 4 steps. Is it that hard?

You are good to go.

Howie Be
02-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think people who have never used an Acon R930 don't realise how easy it is to use (single off camera flash mode). Reading manuals is one thing. Using it in practice is another.

Here are the steps
3. Turn on transmitter
4. Turn on receiver
5. Turn on flash.
6. Turn on camera.

Steps 1 and 2 are kind of a given so you really only have 4 steps. Is it that hard?

You are good to go.

Howie Be
That's how I've found it.

It always works for me.

People are agonizing as to how to do off camera HSS flash, I've been doing it as simply as that for a year now.

The price of the product is low, and obviously dollars have not gone into the manual.

As a Systems Engineer who for years has dealt with devices sourced from everywhere, I'm accustomed to useless Chinglish instructions.

02-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are the steps
3. Turn on transmitter
4. Turn on receiver
5. Turn on flash.
6. Turn on camera.

You are good to go.

Howie Be
What are the top and side buttons for?
02-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What are the top and side buttons for?
I never use them, LD, I treat these things like they're an invisible cable. I change settings on the body and the flash when shooting, and don't even look at the trigger.

But if you look at the manual, those two buttons are used to do fancy stuff:

user manual 601 - acon-photo

I had an iPod Shuffle, it had no screen, just that four way controller to do everything!

Last edited by clackers; 02-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
02-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are the steps
3. Turn on transmitter
4. Turn on receiver
5. Turn on flash.
6. Turn on camera.

You are good to go.

Howie Be
So, are you saying that no settings are necessary for ensuring a specific transmitter communicates with a specific receiver, or group of receivers?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
02-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Other buttons: Acon R930

Single Flash
Well, I guess it's to change channels and whatever. However, my end goal with these triggers is simply one of off camera flash with wireless PTTL exposure control and HSS capability if I need it.

Whatever, the other buttons and lights do, I don't need to worry about for this set up. I can just use the 1-6 steps I've indicated.

Multi-flash
Now, if want to get into multi-flash setups, I guess pressing those buttons and understanding the lights are going to be required. However, in another thread I've indicated I don't think the interface is optimally designed for this use (even if the capability is there). I'll add, it is good that the Acon's do have the multi-flash support (even if it is cumbersome to use). I think of it as a nice to have with these triggers. If multi-flash setups with PTTL control is a necessity, I agree that the user manual needs work and the UI isn't the best.

My current preference for multi-flash setups is manual exposure control using Godox flashes and triggers and if HSS is required, I'll add one Cactus V6 II.

Howie Be
02-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I never use them, LD, I treat these things like they're an invisible cable. I change settings on the body and the flash when shooting, and don't even look at the trigger.

But if you look at the manual, those two buttons are used to do fancy stuff:

user manual 601 - acon-photo
Yup. The manual makes no sense to me at all.
Yet another extract from the 8-page manual you reference to - the same one I downloaded before.
Attached Images

02-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, are you saying that no settings are necessary for ensuring a specific transmitter communicates with a specific receiver, or group of receivers?
Yep, its all auto, that's why it is so easy. Note: This is for a single off camera flash use case, one transmitter, one receiver, one camera, one flash.

All working in less than two minutes when I tried it out this morning. The order of steps 3-6 are critical but its hardly difficult.

Howie Be
02-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Single Flash
Well, I guess it's to change channels and whatever. However, my end goal with these triggers is simply one of off camera flash with wireless PTTL exposure control and HSS capability if I need it.

Whatever, the other buttons and lights do, I don't need to worry about for this set up. I can just use the 1-6 steps I've indicated.

Multi-flash
Now, if want to get into multi-flash setups, I guess pressing those buttons and understanding the lights are going to be required. However, in another thread I've indicated I don't think the interface is optimally designed for this use (even if the capability is there). I'll add, it is good that the Acon's do have the multi-flash support (even if it is cumbersome to use). I think of it as a nice to have with these triggers. If multi-flash setups with PTTL control is a necessity, I agree that the user manual needs work and the UI isn't the best.

My current preference for multi-flash setups is manual exposure control using Godox flashes and triggers and if HSS is required, I'll add one Cactus V6 II.

Howie Be
With all due respect - I'll stick to Cactus.
02-08-2017, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With all due respect - I'll stick to Cactus.
Yeah... I work mostly with multi-flash set ups, and it's so convenient being able to sort them into different groups.