Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
HSS on Cheap ? and Cactus V6 ?

Hey guys, I have been trying to find cheap solutions for HSS, however, options for Pentax is not that vast. Pentax branded flashes are way over my budget and there is no yongnuo p-TTL flash.

I also don't understand how V6 system works...

Right now i have 5 Yn 560 flashes and a Sigma P-ttl flash.

All i want is fast sync speeds, why is it so hard :'(

02-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What on earth does everyone do with all this HSS ?
02-04-2017, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
HSS is becoming very popular right now. I literally had more than 10 customers in last month asking me to shoot them in bright sunlight with "dreamy" background.

I rather shoot at f/2 or faster to appeal this customer base ^_^

Also i like the work from Francisco Joel Hernandez, very cool guy and simple yet good photography business.
02-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have that many customers, you should find a way to get the Pentax AF360fgz ii. The difference in build quality compared to the budget options is very pronounced. It will pay for itself soon.

02-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #5

Hello

I am using Pentax flashes & Cactus V6i/ii in combination with RF60.

1st - already mentioned HSS is taking away a lot of the flah power - the remaining rst is suitable up to e.g. 1/500 but on even shorter exposure times is is only siutable for very small flash/Object distances.

The Cactus V6II with the RF60 flashes is working HSS - but without any automazation - right exposure is purely try & error. (but for soem setups I like it anyway)
02-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've just bought a V6II and a RF60X, so have not had the chance to play with the HSS function yet.
02-05-2017, 03:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So Cactus and Rf60x is the best budget HSS as far as i understand.

Does Godox AD Wistro really works with pentax ?

I know HSS will cost me quite a bit of power and i was willing to buy multiple flashes to counter that, hence cheap ones. 2x AF540 or 360 is like 20 yongnuo ones (But i will buy AF540 for on camera capabilities)

Lastly i am putting my investment money on my car and pc as both are in dire need of replacement, so can't really spend tons of dollars in one go.

02-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I see your point about the need for HSS ....I was having a little joke because sometimes it seems that this forum is consumed by HSS matters, And I was just wondering where all the real life applications for it were ....

The Cactus solution has the advantage of built-in compatible receivers inside the RF60 flashes, so if you're starting from scratch it's a system that only needs a single V6II transmitter on the camera to control 4 independent flash groups (that's 4 individual flashes or multiple flashes in each group if needed for extra power). So you could combine 2 flashes in one group within a softbox for your main light and they will work together giving double the power, and have another 1 in a different group as fill and another behind for a rim light. And only one trigger device, and no receivers to set and attach.

The other advantage of doubling up the flashes is less power consumed operating at lower power levels, so faster recycling and more battery life.
02-05-2017, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

If you can find them used, older flashes like the Sigma EF 530 DG Super, some older Metzes, and the discontinued Pentax AF 360 and 540 also support HSS. And don't forget the new Shanny SN600 FGZ does HSS too.
02-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder if the Shanny has been profiled with the V6II yet?

The only issue with the older flakes flashes is the need for extra V6II Rx units, and they are not too cheap for now.
02-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Checking Cactus and Shanny System.

Shanny seems to get very bad reviews overall.

I wish Godox Wistro line could have worked with P-TTL. Since i am going to spend same money buying Cactus system to match power
02-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Checking Cactus and Shanny System.

Shanny seems to get very bad reviews overall.

I wish Godox Wistro line could have worked with P-TTL. Since i am going to spend same money buying Cactus system to match power

I don't find the review, can you show us exactly where it is?
02-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
I don't find the review, can you show us exactly where it is?

Saw few complaints on amazon, especially for Canon TTL version, and there are several videos on youtube about TTL problems. None of them is direct Pentax though. I will post the links once I find them.

Also For shanny, I can't seem to find a controller unit. + They seem to be the double price of Yongnuo YN 568EX.
02-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Saw few complaints on amazon, especially for Canon TTL version, and there are several videos on youtube about TTL problems. None of them is direct Pentax though. I will post the links once I find them.

Also For shanny, I can't seem to find a controller unit. + They seem to be the double price of Yongnuo YN 568EX.

OK, If you search V6II in BH or Chinese sites. there are huge complaints and low stars.

I am not suprised.

I have a try on the SN600 because I am curious to know if it can work with R930, It workes. my friend were so hurry to take it back , other wise I would make a review too.
02-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There is no radio trigger system provided for the Shanny Pentax version as of yet .... There was some hint that one might be coming some time.

The Cactus or Acon triggers should in theory be able to trigger the Shanny P-TTL unit for Manual HSS (which is what it offers as a slave). This remains to be put to the test and reported here though.

For the money you'd spend on the flashes plus extra needed V6II Rx units I still believe the RF60 models would offer more bang per buck than other P-TTL types.