Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad connection between Metz 58 af-1 and Pentax K-3

Hi everyone!
Recently I discover what my pair of Metz 58af-1 and K-3 does not work as good as earlier ((
1) In PTTL-mode, the flash symbol disappear sometimes from viewfinder and didn't fire. This can be fixed just by shaking of the flash and camera.
2) In A-mode the flash can't read at all the camera settings and fire only at full power.
In M-mode the flash works perfectly.

Wait for your suggestions. Thanks

02-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. Clean the contacts of the flash and shoe.

2. Cross-test to isolate what's failing (Test a different flash on your camera and/or test your flash on a different camera) and then repair/replace the defective device.

I'm betting it's #1.
02-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ruslanvremea Quote
Hi everyone!
Recently I discover what my pair of Metz 58af-1 and K-3 does not work as good as earlier ((
1) In PTTL-mode, the flash symbol disappear sometimes from viewfinder and didn't fire. This can be fixed just by shaking of the flash and camera.
2) In A-mode the flash can't read at all the camera settings and fire only at full power.
In M-mode the flash works perfectly.

Wait for your suggestions. Thanks
I have the same flash and the same problems from time to time. It's just oxidation of the contacts. If you're out in the field and it happens, just remove the flash and then remount two or three times. That usually does the trick by scraping away some of the oxidants. Basically, this is not a problem specific to that flash unit or camera. I have faced this even during my film days and is down to having a heavy flash and the stresses imposed on the camera hotshoe.
Cheers

Last edited by Andy Fern; 02-16-2017 at 05:33 AM.
02-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a lot.
It seems what this really helps to fix my problem))