Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony flashes for Pentax users?

I have been looking at purchasing some Godox flashes to be used remotely via radio triggers. I got a good deal on a TT600 Sony version. The foot is different. I tried mounting it on my K-5 and put it in manual mode thinking I could at least trigger it with the center pin, but that did not seem to work. Maybe it was not seated exactly right. Even though the shoe has a funny layout, it seems to attach to a cold shoe securely. So...

1) Should a sony flash fire in manual mode on a Pentax hot shoe?
2) Is there any downside to having a Sony version of a flash for remote use?

Thanks.

02-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony uses a proprietary hot shoe.

Old
iISO flash shoe - Wikipedia

New
Multi Interface Shoe - Wikipedia
02-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't have bought that one, Jake.

You might try experimenting to see if you need this, or not:

Shoe adapter | ADP-MAA | Sony US
02-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I am fine with having the one Sony flash with the multi-interface shoe because of the fact that it is only for radio use. That will be fine because the only use for the shoe is to attach to a cold shoe. Having said that though, the shoe design is plastic, and looks weak. That is a disadvantage.

02-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have used generic two-contact remote triggers on a Sony Multi-interface shoe. It worked fine as long as the trigger was well aligned with the contacts. I don't know what other electronics Godox puts in there.