Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem with S-Type flash bracket

Hi everyone,

Just received my first S-Type bracket from Adorama. This is a Glow branded bracket, but it is the same type of bracket as the Godox or Neewer brands. The bracket has a knob on the top that you screw down to clamp the bracket onto the flash head. There are two guide rods that slide with it on both sides of the knob. The problem that I am having is that only one of the side rods winds up moving and it starts to bind up the whole tighting process. If I push down on the side that's binding, it does move, and will work, but it's very annoying! Has anyone heard of this happening? I did a quick Google search and did not see the problem being reported. I guess I could either return it for a new one, or try to put some oil on the metal rod. That may wind up being a temporary fix though. Attaching a picture of the issue. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-G890A  Photo 

Last edited by jake14mw; 02-16-2017 at 11:13 AM.
02-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same Here

I got this exact same flash bracket recently. I just checked it and it does the same thing. The way the screw pushes the plate down can result in the plate twisting. I slight push on the metal rod on the sticking side fixes the problem.

I'd call it a design fault rather than a manufacturing fault, and just get on with using the device.

Regards

Chris
02-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

I have one of these too, and it can be quite finicky about where you place the flash in the unit, so if it isn't exactly central then it tends to skew to one side very easily. I think there's too much slop in the guide pins.

I presume the Godox one is exactly the same since it seems to have exactly the same moulding marks, holes, etc.
02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The wierd part is, I have read a lot about these, and never heard this issue brought up.

02-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 (might be Godox, would have to look it up) and they all do this. They are cheap but get the job done. Good enough for my amateur needs and budget.
edit: the hole for the left guide is too tight. I might just try relief-drilling out one this weekend. Should be fine after that.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-16-2017 at 08:10 PM.
02-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #6

I have had 3 units for over a year now.. Cant say I've noticed this as a problem.. But now you have mentioned it im going to have to check it out.....lol
02-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Godox branded variants, I have been using them for a few years - I haven't had this issue. But considering the plastics used it is possible for some dimensional variance that can spawn issues like this.

02-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this. Very helpful. If anyone does any type of modification that works, please report back.
02-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have two Neewer branded S brackets, both work flawlessly, never had a problem with either.
03-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
If anyone does any type of modification that works, please report back
I drilled out the guide rod holes last night for a loose fit and now the clamp moves freely without binding.
edit: 1/4" drill-bit

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-05-2017 at 07:33 AM.