Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studio backdrop.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I need get a backdrop for my studio.
My studio is in the family leaving room.
I plan to mount the backdrop to the ceiling and pull it down when needed. I need to be able to pull it down for full body shots.

1. What mounts do I need.
2. What background do I need, paper or mosulin? I will need two colors black and grey.
3. What are the benefits of paper vs mosulin?
4. What other things to take into consideration.

02-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #2

Cant suggest anything about the mounting, but why Black and Grey, just go for a black one and don't light it, when you want it grey, put some lights on the bg
02-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
Cant suggest anything about the mounting, but why Black and Grey, just go for a black one and don't light it, when you want it grey, put some lights on the bg
Thanks. With grey i can then blast it and get white. I cannot blast black to get white.
02-20-2017, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I use muslin from the fabric department at Wal-Mart. I got it cut to length from a roll. It was at a pretty good price.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.
02-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could probably ask for the cardboard tube it comes in also then just find brackets that fit the tube that you can mount to the ceiling or top of the wall.
02-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't need a backdrop very much so went cheap. When my wife decided to replace our Calif King Size bed sheets I confiscated the top sheet, which is gray in color. I just hang it up when needed. It has a few wrinkles but for me it doesn't distract from anything. I also kept one of the gray pillow covers from the old set, cut it to open it up and works great for just a head shot or to lay on a surface.
02-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

Backdrop Outlet

I have bought around a half dozen muslin backdrops from a place called Backdrop Outlet. They are nice quality, and the price is decent. Backdrop Outlet

They have an incredible assortment of backdrops. For the cloth backdrops you can get a clothes travel steamer to get the wrinkles out.

02-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used a pair of these coupled with an adjustable width 10 -foot bar, mounted to the ceiling. Muslin-background hung with cheap squeeze clamps when needed. Total of maybe $60 invested including the backdrop.
amazon.com : ePhoto Photography Photo Studio Video Wall Ceiling Mount 5/8?tag=pentaxforums-20&" Stud with 1/4" thread by ePhotoINC 700SH : Video Projector Mounts : Camera & Photo
PBL HD Crossbar 2 Section 12ft Twist Locking Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting | eBay
10 x 10ft Gray Muslin Backdrop 100% Cotton Photography Background Photo Studio | eBay

In actual practice I'll generally use 53" rolls of paper (one cream and one thunder grey) mounted to two Kupoles for all my head and half body shots. I've rarely needed anything wider, and even then 6' width was plenty. Why Kupoles? Solid mounts with little chance of falling, takes up almost no floor space, can serve double duty for light and reflector mounting, adaptable, simple to store, and moved/removed in just minutes.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-23-2017 at 05:13 PM.
02-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried mosulin once and never again. Too many wrinkles and texture. Now I use a grey paper backdrop. You can light it to be black, grey or white and it has a nice clean look. I found it on amazon and it comes on a cardboard roll.
02-24-2017, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks every one for the suggestions.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I've tried mosulin once and never again. Too many wrinkles and texture. Now I use a grey paper backdrop. You can light it to be black, grey or white and it has a nice clean look. I found it on amazon and it comes on a cardboard roll.
More research has lead me to the same conclusion to go with paper.
My initial fear was if the paper was strong enough. It seems that it is.

Thanks.