Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Nissin i40 flash for Nikon on a Pentax?

I've seen questions asked about Canon and Nikon flashes working on Pentax cameras, and I was curious if anyone knows if a Nissin i40 flash for Nikon would work on a Pentax in any fashion. I'm sure not in TTL, but maybe manual mode?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

02-22-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
I've seen questions asked about Canon and Nikon flashes working on Pentax cameras, and I was curious if anyone knows if a Nissin i40 flash for Nikon would work on a Pentax in any fashion. I'm sure not in TTL, but maybe manual mode?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
It should mount happily, Amp, and flash in manual mode happily.
02-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out this article:
Pentax, Nikon & Canon Hotshoe pinouts: Studio and Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

The pins on the X shoe for both Nikon and Pentax look the same, but the functionality location are different except the trigger. So it would work in manual and also the A (auto) mode, but not TTL or other functions like zoom.

I am not an electrical expert, but I would be a bit concerned about the volt or amps coming from the other connections potentially harming the camera or flash when mismatched. I would also think that Nikon and Pentax engineers wouldnʻt put the pins in the same layout if it was going to harm either camera or flash if the wrong flash was mounted. Itʻs probably insignificant, but I personally wouldnʻt risk it without taking a multimeter to a functioning P-TTL flash and measuring that to the Nissin i40 for Nikon.

Last edited by Alex645; 02-23-2017 at 01:22 AM.
02-27-2017, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have an i40 for Sony, and I would not be concerned about mounting it in full manual mode. OK, maybe I'll try it on one of my older bodies.

02-27-2017, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can always put electrical tape over the pins if you're worried about some Pentax/Nikon cross talk, it's just the central pin and the contacts on the side that need to make contact for manual mode.

For what it's worth, I've used a few Nikon models on my Pentax with no tape or any sign of trouble (SB-24/26/28/80DX), so I'd be pretty cavalier about mounting a wrong brand modern flash on my camera. Alright, alright, I'd also play it safe and test it on one of Gene's older bodies first, but I wouldn't take any other precautions.
03-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you can buy a set of cheap radio triggers if you're worried about mounting it on the camera, and a dual hot shoe adapter or something: