Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New Pentax flash AF360FGZ Mark II version much better then the old version?

Is the new Pentax AF360FGZ II a significant improvement over the old AF360FGZ?

I had the old AF360FGZ and I was very disappointed with its P-TTL capabilities with both the K-7 and K-50.

It would regularly either under or over-exposure. Also, I thought the built quality was poor, esp compared to Nikon's equivalent category flash.

Have these issues been addressed in the new Mark II version?

Last edited by Theov39; 02-27-2017 at 05:47 PM.
02-26-2017, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera did you use it with? I think that probably has just as much to do with it.

Anyway, I use the newer version(II) with my K-S1 and exposure so far has always been perfect.
02-26-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Camera model?

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote

I had the old AF360FGZ and I was very disappointed with its P-TTL capabilities.

It would regularly either under or over-exposure.
The K3 series, K1 and I guess the K70 have fixed exposure issues in PTTL with all the flashes. It was more of a camera issue than a flash issue.

The AF360 also has an 'A' mode that both gets rid of the pre-flash and exposes well (if not better than PTTL mode) even with old model camera's. So if you have an older camera I'd get the older flash just for the 'A' mode and better exposures.

If you have a newer camera, the tilt and swivel is better on the newer flash.

Howie Be
02-26-2017, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Is the Pentax AF360FGZ II a significant improvement over the old AF360FGZ?

I had the old AF360FGZ and I was very disappointed with its P-TTL capabilities.

It would regularly either under or over-exposure. Also I though the built quality was poor.

Have these issues been addressed in the new Mark II version?
Older Pentax bodies (namely the K-5 family) had a bounce flash overexposure issue, but that has been resolved in newer bodies.

As for the flash unit itself, the main advantage of the newer flashes is better build quality. On the mark 1 360, the battery door was pretty flimsy can could easily break off over time. This has also been resolved.

For more info, see:
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2017, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another plus for v II is LED light (meant as a catchlight solution). It is quite powerful and it is quality WB-neutral light, (WB-neutral and longlasting - not the case of cheap LED lights). I love also it's new multi mode for off-camera low light shooting.
Unfortunatelly have no real comments on P-TTL. I use mainly HSS with M-mode on the camera which seems to be different mode as it works even with M-lenses.
02-27-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What camera did you use it with? I think that probably has just as much to do with it.

Anyway, I use the newer version(II) with my K-S1 and exposure so far has always been perfect.
Good point. Updated my question to indicate that I used the AF360 with a K-50 and K-7.

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 06:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
The K3 series, K1 and I guess the K70 have fixed exposure issues in PTTL with all the flashes. It was more of a camera issue than a flash issue.

The AF360 also has an 'A' mode that both gets rid of the pre-flash and exposes well (if not better than PTTL mode) even with old model camera's. So if you have an older camera I'd get the older flash just for the 'A' mode and better exposures.

If you have a newer camera, the tilt and swivel is better on the newer flash.

Howie Be
I use a couple of old Nikon flashes (nikon SB-28 and SB-20) and they work great on my K-7 and K50 in A mode. Indeed, much better then the AF360FGZ in P-TTL mode!

However, A mode does have some limitations and still slower then using P-TTL so I would really like to use that if possible.

Last edited by Theov39; 02-27-2017 at 06:41 AM.
02-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new version swivels. That is the biggest difference.