Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The manual power levels on the latest camera models relate to the built-in flash only. They could be used iinstead of P-TTL if you're not using an auto-focus lens, and the flash exposure fine tuned with aperture and ISO adjustments as needed, or moving the camera back or forwards.
That's what I thought, but I was holding out hope nonetheless.

03-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand held macro? .. Hooley Dooley !! ..as they say.

Here is the Pentax ist-DS with the Pentax -M Dental Macro screwed to the AF080C ring flash.
The flash is in TTL auto mode.
The viewfinder is fitted with the Pentax Magnifier -M
The rig is on a Slik 700 large format tripod.
https://app.box.com/s/ca56kqshto6kewktatplvvctphwy4aoa

This photo taken with the above is of the internals of an early model Pentax AF160 flash - see the broken battery holder
https://app.box.com/s/gkc8sya9x8zef8f12rtfnbyptxt27odi
03-03-2017, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Are there any small flashes out there that offer multiple power settings, more than just HI/LO? I'm looking to use it for hand held macro shooting, so small and light is good. It wouldn't need to have bounce, swivel, or zoom, P-TTL or a thyristor. Just a range of power settings down to as low as I can get and a trigger voltage that won't fry my KS-2. I've got an off camera cord to handle swivel, and many of my lens, tube and reversed combinations are going to be manual, so P-TTL wouldn't be an option anyhow. Inexpensive would be nice, used is okay. I'm just wondering what I might be out there that I could keep my eye out for. I'm not asking for much am I!

Viltrox make a tiny all manual flash called a JY610II, it has every feature that you are asking for plus more and very cheap, I paid $28 AUD for mine. The build quality is amazing for such a cheap flash and it's adjustable from full to 128th power in 1/3 stop increments.

Glenn
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
03-03-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The manual power levels on the latest camera models relate to the built-in flash only. They could be used iinstead of P-TTL if you're not using an auto-focus lens, and the flash exposure fine tuned with aperture and ISO adjustments as needed, or moving the camera back or forwards.
Thanks for the correction mcgergni. I Mostly use the flash in P-TTL and adjust the the flash compensation (usually down). Apologies to all.

03-03-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #20

Here is a 2 AA cell Sunpak PF20XD that goes down to 1/32 power. GN 20. Can be used as a slave flash.

SUNPAK??????