Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lighting for Slide Copying

I have been using my K1 for slide copying and I feel pretty good about the results. I have been using a Vivitar 283 for the light source. I have been receiving suggestions that I should be using a "softer" light source. My understanding is that the "softness" of a light source is directly related to the size of the source. I am photographing 35mm slides so the light source from my flash is already larger than the subject. Will I get better results from a larger light source or is this just a solution looking for a problem?

Here are some examples of the results I am getting. What do you think?

Canyonlands | Flickr

03-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I have been using my K1 for slide copying and I feel pretty good about the results. I have been using a Vivitar 283 for the light source. I have been receiving suggestions that I should be using a "softer" light source. My understanding is that the "softness" of a light source is directly related to the size of the source. I am photographing 35mm slides so the light source from my flash is already larger than the subject. Will I get better results from a larger light source or is this just a solution looking for a problem?

Here are some examples of the results I am getting. What do you think?

Canyonlands | Flickr
Your results look super good to me. I've done a lot of film "scanning" with my K3. At some point I was futzing with my light source and have started to get vignetting from my source, driving me crazy as I haven't been able to get back to my good state (I'll get there). :P

I'd say if you're happy with the results (and you should be!) you're good! :-)

Care to post up a photo of your scanning set up? Mine looks like this, ish. My light source is a 100 watt incandescent bulb, diffused with a few layers of diffusing material, inside a small plywood box. When I have more space I'm going to make a longer box so the bulb is farther from the diffusing panel.

03-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, bobbotron. Here's the rig I am using:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1/345952d148823...ier-2-2988.jpg
03-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

What are you using for your copy rig? Are you using any of the Pentax Bellows and associated slide copiers? The diffuser on the copier was designed so flash could be used a a possible light source.

If you aren't getting any hot spots (I didn't see any) then you are probably fine. You could try passing the light through a piece of tracing paper to add more diffusion. I doubt you will see much difference other than having to change your exposures or the power setting on the flash.

Edit: you posted your rig while I was composing this reply

03-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used a color enlarger head turned upside down. The transparency sits in a holder cut from foam core board placed upon the head. The enlarger glass is color corrected. The camera is on tripod, directly above the works. Very efficient.

M
03-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Thanks for the kind words, bobbotron. Here's the rig I am using:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1/345952d148823...ier-2-2988.jpg
I think your slide copying results look very good. I'm curious about what you have set up. It looks like a macro lens, maybe a step-down/up ring, some extension tubes (?), and some type of slide holder.
What is the holder made of (or come from) and how is it attached to what looks like extension tubes?
03-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I use an ES-1 Nikon slide holder. It has a built in diffuser and attaches to lens or extension tubes with a 52mm thread.

03-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's the size of the light source relative to the subject that determines the quality, and this relative size varies with both the size of the light and it's distance from the subject. So in theory, moving your flash even closer will further soften the effect, and 'wrap' the light fiurther around the slide with no edge falloff. Because the light is already larger than the subject then adding a diffuser like a mini softbox (for example) seems unlikely to make much difference, especially because a lot of the wider spread of light will just miss the subject anyway.

That's an interesting set-up with a great mix of gear and technologies from the ages!
03-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My slide holder is attached directly to the end of my lens (35mm LTD). I just step outside and point the camera at the blue sky. Low speeds don't matter because the slide moves with the camera.
03-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I guess that sky is a rather big light source in relation to the slides !!
03-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

The Pentax Auto Bellow-A manual says this (the slide copier has a similar light diffuser):
QuoteQuote:
1. During the day, the simplest method is to face the equipment toward the sky. But on very fine days, the blue sky will tend to tint the copies a shade of blue. For reversal color films, the shutter speed should be faster than 1/10 sec. due to the reciprocity failure described on page 22. This should be relatively simple if you direct the slide copier toward the sun. However, note that color slides tend to "curl" if exposed to the sun too long. Another point to remember is that the sun striking the ground glass window at an angle exceeding 45 degrees may cause shadows of the slide holder retaining plate to cast on the slide.

2. At night, use a 500W color photographic floodlight (reflector lamp). The brightness varies greatly with distance. Adjust the distance of the lamp so you can get a faster than 1/10 sec. shutter speed.

3. The most convenient and easiest method is to use a Pentax TTL Auto Flash in combination the the Pentax Super A or the Pentax LX. You can either mount the TTL Auto Flash on the hotshoe of the camera or set it behind the slide copier and connect it to the camera with 4P Synchro Cord B 5 m and Hotshoe Grip. Either way, the TTL Auto Flash is controlled by the camera's Off-Film-Reflection metering system and you can obtain correct exposure always. When the TTL Auto Flash is place directly behind the slide copier, it is recommended to use a small lens opening or some translucent diffuser to reduce the light emission of the flash. When you mount the flash on the hotshoe of the camera, place a white reflector behind the slide copier.