Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Wireless flash

Ok, I have scoured google trying to find this answer, and everywhere I end up I find semi-complete answers, so here it goes.

I have a k100d and an AF540fgz flash. I want to use my pop-up flash to trigger my 540fgz off camera. Is this possible? If so, can someone please explain it to me like you would be explaining it to a third grader haha, because I get so lost and I do not have my manuals handy as they are in storage (doh!)

Thanks in advance.

08-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by artripoli Quote
Ok, I have scoured google trying to find this answer, and everywhere I end up I find semi-complete answers, so here it goes.

I have a k100d and an AF540fgz flash. I want to use my pop-up flash to trigger my 540fgz off camera. Is this possible? If so, can someone please explain it to me like you would be explaining it to a third grader haha, because I get so lost and I do not have my manuals handy as they are in storage (doh!)

Thanks in advance.
Yes.

See
Pentax Imaging: AF540FGZ - Flashes - Cameras by Pentax

Click on "Tutorial One" and "Tutorial Two"
08-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artripoli Quote
I have a k100d and an AF540fgz flash. I want to use my pop-up flash to trigger my 540fgz off camera. Is this possible?
To my knowledge, the K100D doesn't support P-TTL wireless with the on board flash. SL1 mode is not available.

You can however use the optical slave, SL2, mode. Still no wires, but no communication between the camera and flash for setting up the flash. You set the 540fgz manually and use the on board flash just to trigger the 540fgz.

You can find the 540fgz manual here in pdf from.

Thank you
Russell
08-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Firmware may need updating

My K10d manual states this is not possible, but yesterday I was perusing Pentax sites and found the Pentax.com site which had firmware updates which I downloaded and installed.
It is now possible to use the inbuilt flash as the master flash as required.
Firmware update is an easy process if followed correctly!