Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Vivitar 880AFC not firing on my KS-2

Hi all;

I've got a Vivitar Series 1 880AFC (Canon dedicated) that won't fire on my KS-2. My understanding is that this flash is a rebadged Sigma EF 500DG Super. I want to use it in manual mode as it has power settings down to 1/128. I've got a Minolta 360PX that fires fine with the camera set to M, shutter speed slower than 1/180 sec. The same settings fail to work with the Vivitar. It powers up and works in slave mode and it fires on a Canon camera I tried it on. I don't get why it's not firing on the KS-2. Any ideas of things I can do to coax some light out of this flash would be greatly appreciated.

03-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon not match with Pentax. You need Vivtar flash for Pentax. Not Canon.
03-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not expecting it to work on anything but manual. I have a Minolta 360PX which works in just this way, but its power settings only go as far as 1/16. I'd like to be able to take advantage of the three additional stops of control my Vivitar has to offer. I'm cheap; I would like to be able to use an item I already have rather than spend money! To that end I want to know if I'm missing something in the set-up of the camera or flash or if the pins of the camera are confusing the flash or the pins on the flash are confusing the camera. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue in trying to use a Canon dedicated flash on their Pentax DSLR. From a quick look at a few threads here and elsewhere, I get the impression it should be possible. Unfortunately my KS-2 has not read the threads in question...
03-08-2017, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps the center pin on the flash isn't lining up properly with the center contact on the camera. You also could try placing tape over contacts on the flash other than the center pin, which is the only contact needed for manual operation of the flash. Bits of Scotch Tape work fine. I had a flash that worked fine on a K-x, but would strobe when mounted on a K-01 until I taped over all but the center contact.