Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

New Flash Old Body

I know, you are thinking I just bought a new suit for myself. Not so.
I have a Metz 52 af-1 that I adore. I use it with my digital bodies. I would like to use it with my LX. Is there any reason I wouldn't slap it on the hotshoe and fire away? What should I expect? I don't mind wasting film, but any advice that minimizes it would be appreciated.
I read that the AF 280t is the flash of choice on the LX. What do I do to get the Metz to mimic it?

Cheers,
Duke

03-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dukeatoakland Quote
I know, you are thinking I just bought a new suit for myself. Not so.
I have a Metz 52 af-1 that I adore. I use it with my digital bodies. I would like to use it with my LX. Is there any reason I wouldn't slap it on the hotshoe and fire away? What should I expect? I don't mind wasting film, but any advice that minimizes it would be appreciated.
I read that the AF 280t is the flash of choice on the LX. What do I do to get the Metz to mimic it?

Cheers,
Duke
Does the Metz support the Pentax analog TTL protocol? From the specs that I was able to find, it supports digital TTL protocol and P-TTL, but not the original analog TTL protocol. As such, you will be limited to manual operation, though maybe with some elements of Pentax dedication.

Steve
03-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt anything other than manual mode will work with your Metz. Even the Pentax FTZ series flashes fail to work except for manual mode on Non KAF2 or later mounts. The 280T gives full dedication an auto mode and true TTL flash metering.
03-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
As far as I know it's digital P-TTL. So, I loose the aperture priority mode? That seems like a minor trade.

Is there any chance of damage to the flash using the hot shoe?

03-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Even the Pentax FTZ series flashes fail to work except for manual mode on Non KAF2 or later mounts.
??? Yes, the Metz 52 af-1 is manual only on the LX. However, the AF360FTZ AF360FGZ and AF540FTZ AF540FGZ both support analog TTL on the 67II, 645, 645N, 645NII, Super Program, and LX. Digital protocol TTL support is a little complicated, but also present for most AF film cameras with those two flashes. The Metz 52 af-1 should also support digital protocol TTL on those AF cameras.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.
03-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
??? Yes, the Metz 52 af-1 is manual only on the LX. However, the AF360FTZ and AF540FTZ both support analog TTL on the 67II, 645, 645N, 645NII, Super Program, and LX. Digital protocol TTL support is a little complicated, but also present for most AF film cameras with those two flashes. The Metz 52 af-1 should also support digital protocol TTL on those AF cameras.

Steve
Are there af360ftz and af540ftz models? I only know of af360fgz and af540fgz models. The older film era ftz models like the af330ftz are what I was referring to. I agree that the fgz series seems to have this feature, but it is not present in the af500ftz for example. All the ftz flashes that I have found state that on non-kaf2 or newer mounts the flash is manual only. Since Metz is emulating not licensing Pentax flash protocols it isn't clear how they interact with the capabilities of the various series of Pentax flashes. However it seems reasonable that if Pentax dropped support for analog ttl on non-kaf2 in the ftz series that Metz may have done so as well in their emulated compatibility.
03-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are there af360ftz and af540ftz models?
Typo...

Steve

03-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Typo...

Steve
Ok. But you were responding to my ftz comments. So my comments stand unabated.
03-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As far as I know it's digital P-TTL. So, I loose the aperture priority mode? That seems like a minor trade.
I think you lose more than that ....it seems that you can't have any automatic flash exposure at all. These days I imagine that trying to shoot Manual mode flash pictures on film is not for the faint hearted No doubt you could work out a workflow and calculations, but it would be rather painstaking I suspect.

Perhaps an 'auto thyristor' type of flash, or one that includes that mode, is a way to go? This does not depend on any information exchange between flash and camera, is generally accurate and the settings to make are not too arduous.
03-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The older film era ftz models like the af330ftz are what I was referring to.
And you are correct. Thanks for setting me right. The AF model flashes is where the off-the-film TTL story gets complicated. I don't have detailed knowledge and have yet to see a comprehensive feature matrix that is complete. The naming convention is of limited use as well. All that is clear is that there is body support for two OTF TTL control protocols, analog (4 hot shoe contacts*) and digital (5 hot shoe contacts**) with some 5-contact bodies/flash supporting both.

Ok. But you were responding to my ftz comments. So my comments stand unabated.
Yep...hangs head in shame

Steve

* trigger + ready + mode + rail
** trigger + ready + mode + digital + rail
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And you are correct. Thanks for setting me right. The AF model flashes is where the off-the-film TTL story gets complicated. I don't have detailed knowledge and have yet to see a comprehensive feature matrix that is complete. The naming convention is of limited use as well. All that is clear is that there is body support for two OTF TTL control protocols, analog (4 hot shoe contacts*) and digital (5 hot shoe contacts**) with some 5-contact bodies/flash supporting both.

Yep...hangs head in shame

Steve

* trigger + ready + mode + rail
** trigger + ready + mode + digital + rail
Full disclosure... I have actually made this typo mistake myself in the past. I just wanted to clarify to be sure I wasn't confused.
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since Metz is emulating not licensing Pentax flash protocols it isn't clear how they interact with the capabilities of the various series of Pentax flashes. However it seems reasonable that if Pentax dropped support for analog ttl on non-kaf2 in the ftz series that Metz may have done so as well in their emulated compatibility.
I agree. My Sigma EF 610 DG Super (Pentax) lists both TTL and P-TTL in its feature set, but does not support the analog protocol. I am curious as to whether it works with TTL AF bodies.

Steve
03-09-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't mind shooting manual flash. The Metz makes it easy to have a light touch. I use it for fill and and boost, so blowouts shouldn't be a problem on negative film. Having said that, the older flashes seem pretty inexpensive. Any reason to not buy a af280t flash?
03-09-2017, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Any reason to not buy a af280t flash?
Flimsy battery door?

I really like my AF280T. It has a surprising level of dedication on current model Pentax cameras:

AF280T Review: stevebrot

Steve