Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 02:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Issue with Yongnuo YN560 IV

Hello,

I bought two Yongnuo YN560 IV speedlights. My camera is K5IIs. I am using them off-camera in the slave mode. It is behaving differently in the two slave modes (S1 and S2). I will try to describe the scenarios:

1) S1 mode : Camera is in manual mode.. with wireless flash option. Now, the speedlights are firing properly till 1/32 power. Anything below that, the flash output is pretty low. So, 1/128, 1/64. 1/32 power modes are working fine.. 1/1, 1/2. 1/4, 1/16 are pretty much not usable. I tried bringing down camera shutter below 1/180 but it didnt fix the issue.

2) S2 mode: All the power modes are resulting in same power output. 1/1 and 1/128 are emitting same flash output resulting in same exact image.

Is this pentax specific issue ?

Thanks,
Mourya

03-22-2017, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use the wireless flash option on the camera. The YN560s aren't smart enough to understand the signal it tries to send, and are triggering at the wrong time. In S1 mode, they trigger as soon as they see ANY flash from the camera, and in S2 mode, they trigger on the second flash, thinking the first is a TTL preflash. Either way, the flashes are triggering early, with unpredictable results.
03-22-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The above sounds like good advice, no experience first hand with either the problem or the solution as I don't use my Yongnuo's as slaves.

I came in to suggest getting the 560TX controller. It allows you to control settings on either or both flashes from the camera wirelessly and sync without using the on board flash as a master. You can group the flashes together so both use the same settings or separate them so each flash is set individually. It's a great addition for $40 (from B&H). I use the Nikon version and it works fine on my K-30. And it lets you do stuff like this:

03-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I came in to suggest getting the 560TX controller.
2nd that.

03-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Don't use the wireless flash option on the camera. The YN560s aren't smart enough to understand the signal it tries to send, and are triggering at the wrong time. In S1 mode, they trigger as soon as they see ANY flash from the camera, and in S2 mode, they trigger on the second flash, thinking the first is a TTL preflash. Either way, the flashes are triggering early, with unpredictable results.
I switched to manual focus, assuming that there wont be any pre-flash that confuses the speedlights. Let me know if my understanding is wrong. Also, if that is the case I didn't understand why its behaving weirdly below 1/32 only.

---------- Post added 03-23-17 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The above sounds like good advice, no experience first hand with either the problem or the solution as I don't use my Yongnuo's as slaves.

I came in to suggest getting the 560TX controller. It allows you to control settings on either or both flashes from the camera wirelessly and sync without using the on board flash as a master. You can group the flashes together so both use the same settings or separate them so each flash is set individually. It's a great addition for $40 (from B&H). I use the Nikon version and it works fine on my K-30. And it lets you do stuff like this:

I have strobes and am using a controller already.. basically I want to use these speedlights for fill in or background. Other than that, TX costs around 70 - 80 $ in my country.. it will be a further waste considering that I already spent 180$ on these flashes.
03-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Regarding preventing the P-TTL pre flash from the K5II pop up flash .... You would need a non aperture coupled lens, eg an M or K type or A series type with aperture ring not in the A position. Then the flash would fire at full power, without pre-flash. But this is not an elegant or practical solution considering the likely messy light spill that is likely to result.
03-23-2017, 03:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Then let the YN560's fire from the strobe flash, that will work consistently.

Or just get a YN603II N and piggy back that with your strobe trigger and use the built on wireless receivers in the YN560IV's

The last thing I would use is the pop up flash.

The YN 560 is still a good idea because you can adjust power and zoom from camera position.
Yea, i thought if it works with pop up flash then, it will work with strobes as well

Thanks for the suggesions.. piggybacking sounds reliable, let me try that

---------- Post added 03-23-17 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Regarding preventing the P-TTL pre flash from the K5II pop up flash .... You would need a non aperture coupled lens, eg an M or K type or A series type with aperture ring not in the A position. Then the flash would fire at full power, without pre-flash. But this is not an elegant or practical solution considering the likely messy light spill that is likely to result.
I just need to make sure that the flashes are not defective. Will try to fire them with full power pop up.

03-23-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

It's a way to test them, sure .... As others have said it's probably a syncing problem that is causing inconsistent firing and therefore not all of the flash exposures are actually being recorded by the camera, giving the impression that the power outputs are varying. Most likely is that the flashes are perfectly ok.
03-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's a way to test them, sure .... As others have said it's probably a syncing problem that is causing inconsistent firing and therefore not all of the flash exposures are actually being recorded by the camera, giving the impression that the power outputs are varying. Most likely is that the flashes are perfectly ok.
Exactly.. that's why its working fine till 1/32.. anything below that .. may be like you said, camera is failing to cope up.. could be a synching issue.. that's what bothered me.. whether its a pentax issue. But, after reading all the suggestions.. I have decided to try out different methods before giving them up. Thanks a lot

btw, I have downloaded your guide.. it looks elaborate, will go through it at my leisure