Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
PJPycroft

Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL

I'm a new Pentax K1 owner (now selling off Canon products inc Canon flashgun).

I'm aware that the Pentax need P-TTL to works with Flashgun with P-TTL setting. I got several Yongnou YN-560 IV and YN-560-TX (Canon version) but will get Nikon version for YN-560-TX transmitter to works better with Pentax K1's hotshoe & wake-up function (as for Canon's for Canon cameras).

What is your thought & experience with Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL for your Pentax K3, K3 II and K1 ????

Also, would Yongnou YN-560-TX with Nikon mount - does this work for wake-up functionality on Pentax K1, K3 etc??

Need your feedback for this.

Eager to buy it from Amazon !!!

Thanks

Paul

03-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you look at the ACON TTL wireless flash which is offered with Pentax-specific firmware and universal hot-shoe contacts. I doubt very much that a TTL device of any kind designed for Nikon would function properly, if at all on a Pentax body. SFAIK, no Nikon on-camera strobe will provide TTL on a Pentax body, so a wireless radio TTL trigger wired for, and with firmware for a Nikon will certainly not function on Pentax
03-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think he is talking about getting the Pentax version of the Yongnuo YN585EX.

Yongnuo YN585EX P-TTL Wireless Flash Speedlite for Pentax - PentaxForums.com
03-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

I just bought one but haven't had an opportunity to test it out much. At less than $80 I figured it was a great value.

03-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
I just bought one but haven't had an opportunity to test it out much. At less than $80 I figured it was a great value.
Is there a pttl yn trigger that will work with that flash? Would be awesome to be able to experiment with an off body lighting setup with pttl for reasonable money)
03-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

The Acon R930 is the only wireless P-TTL transmitter on the market. The interface is horrible (morse code and flashing LED sequences), but it looks like in a simple one-flash situation where you're controlling it from the camera it would just work right out of the box.
03-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, I thought Cactus RF60 and the transmitter can do P-TTL. This YN looks great, and price is very reasonable. I will probably pick one up soon. One thing - it can't do HHS right? Just the 1/200 matching camera's output?

03-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
The Acon R930 is the only wireless P-TTL transmitter on the market. The interface is horrible (morse code and flashing LED sequences), but it looks like in a simple one-flash situation where you're controlling it from the camera it would just work right out of the box.
I purchased the ACON. It took a bit of trouble to get it working with Pentax as it was delivered with the wrong firmware and it took many tries to get the correct version installed. Once in, however, the operation is relatively simple: 1) install transmitter on camera hot shoe; 2) install any Pentax-system pTTL flash* into the receiver hot shoe; 3) turn on the four devices this sequence: transmitter, receiver, camera; flash. Now, just point & shoot and you have radio-controlled wireless pTTL. If you want to change the basic pTTL operation, that is a pain involving blinking leds and a sequence of steps impossible to remember unless you do them daily.

* I experimented with a Pentax 360 II and several Metz units, and all seemed to work properly.
03-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

AFAIK there is no radio P-TTL system from Yongnuo. The new P-TTL flash does not seem to integrate with any of their trigger systems, apart from a basic manual functioning. This is one area where the new Yongnuo and Shanny models have missed an opportunity, I feel.
03-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
One thing - it can't do HHS right? Just the 1/200 matching camera's output?
I wondered the same thing, but concluded that yours would be a reasonable assumption given the price point.

Steve
03-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wondered the same thing, but concluded that yours would be a reasonable assumption given the price point.

Steve
The HSS isn't mentioned on their website (a horrid outdated one for sure), so I guess it doesn't have that. But even with just PTTL its a nice price point, just a bit more expensive than the CPL i just bought.
03-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Oh, I thought Cactus RF60 and the transmitter can do P-TTL.
No, the Cactus V6, V6 II and RF60 are manual-only, but with remote power and zoom control from the transmitter. The V6 II allows HSS whereas the V6 doesn't, but all are manual.
03-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #13

I tried the 585 on my K3 and the pttl was fine. I have been shooting manual flash for 3 years and having the pttl was actually annoying to me. Go figure. I was actually planning on keeping it but thought I would rather add another 560IV to my rig as the 585 doesn't take signals from my 560tx. It was just a creative choice. You really can't beat the price if you looking for a pttl flash .
03-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
AFAIK there is no radio P-TTL system from Yongnuo.
Correct.

The new P-TTL flash does not seem to integrate with any of their trigger systems, apart from a basic manual functioning.
Also correct. Also, it does not have HSS. (I have one - it seems to do what it's supposed to do.)

This is one area where the new Yongnuo and Shanny models have missed an opportunity, I feel.
Probably also correct. The YN585EX is based on their smaller TTL-only flash body, not the larger one used for radio-equipped flashes. YongNuo has only recently released the YN685 in Canon and Nikon flavors, which combines their dedicated TTL lines and the manual+radio line. Given their incremental approach, I'm not surprised they didn't jump straight in to P-TTL with an all-in-one, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they make one in a couple years (unless the YN585EX doesn't sell),
05-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Correct.

Also correct. Also, it does not have HSS. (I have one - it seems to do what it's supposed to do.)

Probably also correct. The YN585EX is based on their smaller TTL-only flash body, not the larger one used for radio-equipped flashes. YongNuo has only recently released the YN685 in Canon and Nikon flavors, which combines their dedicated TTL lines and the manual+radio line. Given their incremental approach, I'm not surprised they didn't jump straight in to P-TTL with an all-in-one, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they make one in a couple years (unless the YN585EX doesn't sell),
Odd. I was searching around for info on the YN585EX and on Amazon someone asked whether it did HSS, and the Yongnuo rep said it DOES do HSS, "of course." https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN585EX-Wireless-Speedlite-Function/dp/B01MY4...ntaxforums-20& They don't sound so trustworthy, or maybe they just have no idea what HSS is.