Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with firmware updating my Cactus V6II transceivers!

Hello everybody!

I have bought and I'm using 4 Cactus V6II transceivers with my K-1. I have observed some problems with the TTL mode and more specifically sometimes (under the same ambient light conditions) the flashes overxpose. Same problems I seem to face in the HSS mode where the flash power is not consistent, but varies a lot. I used only 2 V6II units for my initial tests with my Metz M400 flash.

I noticed that my units haven't got the latest firmware that have many improvements for the Pentax system, so I downloaded and installed the firmware updater on my PC. After following the instructions for connecting the V6II units to the PC to update their firmware... the updater couldn't even see them connected to my PC. So nothing was happening. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the updater but again nothing. When the units are connencted to the PC through the USB cable and are turned on they light up, so they are powered by the cable but I can't make the updater communicate with them.

Has anyone face something similar? Have you find any solution that may work for me too?

03-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I do not have these units but you may want to try in a different computer to try to eliminate any incompatibility with the USB port in your PC.
03-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
I do not have these units but you may want to try in a different computer to try to eliminate any incompatibility with the USB port in your PC.
Also try different USB cables.
03-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In regard to the latest Cactus firmware update as it relates to the TTL function, it was announced as a "series" of brand-specific firmware updates starting with Sigma, Fujifilm and Sony with other brands, including Pentax, to follow.

This article explains, and contains the initial press release:

Cactus announces flash transceiver firmware upgrade to support wireless cross-brand TTL: Digital Photography Review

03-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers. I forgot to say that I also tried in another PC with the same cable. So my next step is to try a different USB cable...
03-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Also try different USB cables.
What he said... you have simple charging cable and there you have fully connected USB Data cable. Some phone manufacturers like to customize those cables therefore do not use those. Get to your local computer store and buy proper USB Data cable. You can get also USB 3 Data cable... should work just fine.
03-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently updated my V6II and the RF60X. All worked perfectly fine. Are you using Cactus Firmware Updater V2.07 on your PC?

03-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Regarding exposures, the V6II system, for now, is Manual exposure control only. Are you sure your receiving V6II on the flash is set to the right profile. This is needed in order to ensure that the system can control the manual power output remotely.
03-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Regarding exposures, the V6II system, for now, is Manual exposure control only. Are you sure your receiving V6II on the flash is set to the right profile. This is needed in order to ensure that the system can control the manual power output remotely.
I had assumed the op meant ttl passthru. With a flash mounted in the camera on the cactus transceiver.
03-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Its difficult to know for sure. Hopefully he will clarify. By 'TTL Mode' it sounds like he was expecting TTL automatic exposure control. The fact that he reports inconsistent exposures is odd, considering that there is only Manual exposure control available. I was thinking that the profile set-up is not right and that the flashes are not getting the right power commands for some reason.

I also wonder if the flash itself is operating in the correct mode? I understand that it should be in P-TTL mode for correct functioning with the V6ii Rx.
03-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its difficult to know for sure. Hopefully he will clarify. By 'TTL Mode' it sounds like he was expecting TTL automatic exposure control. The fact that he reports inconsistent exposures is odd, considering that there is only Manual exposure control available. I was thinking that the profile set-up is not right and that the flashes are not getting the right power commands for some reason.

I also wonder if the flash itself is operating in the correct mode? I understand that it should be in P-TTL mode for correct functioning with the V6ii Rx.
The other issue is why can't he get the updater to work when he sees they are not the right firmware.
03-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all once again for your help! My replies below...

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
What he said... you have simple charging cable and there you have fully connected USB Data cable. Some phone manufacturers like to customize those cables therefore do not use those. Get to your local computer store and buy proper USB Data cable. You can get also USB 3 Data cable... should work just fine.
I didn't know that the cable may not be able to transfer data. I have to buy a new USB data one because I can't remember where I got the one I'm using from...

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I recently updated my V6II and the RF60X. All worked perfectly fine. Are you using Cactus Firmware Updater V2.07 on your PC?
Yes I'm using the V2.07 version.

Yes I know that the flashes are working in manual mode only. I tried setting the receiver to simply Pentax flash system or the Metz 44 profile that is quite similar to the M400, but I saw inconsistencies in output when firing the flash under same conditions. Not every time but sometimes, usually overexposing from time to time. Also I was referring to the TTL pass through mode with the Metz flash on top of the TX. While the flash alone works great on top of the V6 in the TTL-PT mode sometimes the exposure is off...

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The other issue is why can't he get the updater to work when he sees they are not the right firmware.
I thought that these could be firmware issues as I checked and my V6s have the 1.1.001 version. I read that there are firmware updates that offer better stability for the Pentax system but as I told you, I couldn't update my V6IIs as the updater was unable to detect them...
03-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What Flash exposure mode are you setting on the Metz Flash, when used as a slave with the V6II receiver ?
03-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What Flash exposure mode are you setting on the Metz Flash, when used as a slave with the V6II receiver ?
I was using P-TTL or P-TTL HSS depending on the shutter speed.
03-28-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, that's correct I believe. It's hard to understand how you can be getting exposure variance with manual flash triggers ..... are there any other variables that might be affecting it, e.g. ISO, aperture or distance changes. Are you sure it is varying power outputs that are causing this?