Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 01:58 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yet another option that should work is to not add any trigger to the on-camera V6II, but connect another V6II or a V6 to the AD200 via a sync cable. On the AD200, disable wireless mode and manually engage HSS.

That might be a good solution for anyone who happens to have more than one V6II unit or has additional V6 units available. It is not a very cost-effective solution for anyone not having these units anyhow.
I fully agree. I have a V6 and have checked this setup with my AD360. It should work with the AD200 too as you pointed. I can't check it because I need a male-to-male 3.5mm cable (to connect V6 to AD200), but I'm 99,99% sure it will work.

07-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two V6II that I bought two months ago. I thought the second was going to be a waste if I was going to get the AD200 because I might have to put a godox trigger on the V6II to control the AD200.

Good to know I dont have to buy a godox trigger. Somehow I knew the two V6II should work. Because that is how I use it with my Metz 58.
But everybody else has been talking about using a godox transmitter on top of the Cactus V6II, that I thought I had missed some information that two V6II will not work.

Anyway. I have two V6II, 2.5 to 3.5mm cable, just need an AD200 for testing. Anybody want to send me one.
07-30-2017, 12:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Just a quick review after spending the time to setup and adjust the AD200 and various triggers.

First of all this flash seems really great, the portability and power is incredible. Ill wait for the wedding Ill be shooting next week to make comments of the use in the field though.
I've made a portrait studio shoot with the AD200 as the backlight, shot 350 images at about 1/32 of power and I still had 3/4 green LEDS for battery power.
I was able to use the K1 burst mode up to 1/8th of power !
So in terms of power and compactness I dont see anything similar, very special product that I think has a great future. I am renting mine from a local Photo group, am very impressed so far, and all other photographers have the same feedback.

Now for HSS

Gear:

Pentax K1 Firmware 1.41
Cactus V6 II : 1.1.011
Godox FT16 RX and TX

As pointed by everybody else, I have setup the combo this way :

AD200 configured with no Wireless and with HSS On (I use the FT16 RX attached to flash).
Cactus V6 II configured with "Manual" as Flash, "Pentax" as camera and "Power Sync" (for HSS).

FT16 Tx on top of V6II, V6 II on top of camera.
AD200 connected via FT16

In the camera in Manual Mode I can set all Speed and that still triggers the flash, way over the regular 1/200th speed sync.

Here is a quick example : K1 + Pentax 24-70mm /f2.8 @ 1/800th @/f3.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-31-2017, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have two V6II that I bought two months ago. I thought the second was going to be a waste if I was going to get the AD200 because I might have to put a godox trigger on the V6II to control the AD200.

Good to know I dont have to buy a godox trigger. Somehow I knew the two V6II should work. Because that is how I use it with my Metz 58.
But everybody else has been talking about using a godox transmitter on top of the Cactus V6II, that I thought I had missed some information that two V6II will not work.

Anyway. I have two V6II, 2.5 to 3.5mm cable, just need an AD200 for testing. Anybody want to send me one.
Hello, to fire the AD200 in HSS you don't need really any Godox trigger. Look at my mini-review on post #7. You can use the AD200's 3.5mm sync port and put a receiver there. In my tests, I put a RF605 stacked on my V6II and a RF605 receiver on the AD200's sync port. It fired without issues, with or without HSS (no Godox trigger used). If you have two V6II's you can put one V6II as a receiver + male-to-male 3.5mm (not 2.5mm to 3.5mm) cable connected to the AD200's sync port, and it should work.

The Godox trigger is to allow you to change power remotely. If you don't have one, then you'll need to go to your AD200 every time you need to adjust power, turn the rear dial, etc, you know... As you'll need a Godox trigger to control power remotelly, and usually Godox sell combos with trigger and receiver, it's a good idea to stack your trigger on top of a V6II and to put the receiver on the AD200's USB port. So you use the Godox trigger to remotelly control power and fire the AD200. I think it's the best combination.

Some Godox flahes can be controlled using a V6II as a receiver, for example the AD360IIC, but not the AD200, as it lacks a hotshoe.

Regards.

08-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Just a quick review after spending the time to setup and adjust the AD200 and various triggers.

Awesome dynamic shot.

---------- Post added 01-08-17 at 11:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello, to fire the AD200 in HSS you don't need really any Godox trigger. Look at my mini-review on post #7. You can use the AD200's 3.5mm sync port and put a receiver there. In my tests, I put a RF605 stacked on my V6II and a RF605 receiver on the AD200's sync port. It fired without issues, with or without HSS (no Godox trigger used). If you have two V6II's you can put one V6II as a receiver + male-to-male 3.5mm (not 2.5mm to 3.5mm) cable connected to the AD200's sync port, and it should work.

The Godox trigger is to allow you to change power remotely. If you don't have one, then you'll need to go to your AD200 every time you need to adjust power, turn the rear dial, etc, you know... As you'll need a Godox trigger to control power remotelly, and usually Godox sell combos with trigger and receiver, it's a good idea to stack your trigger on top of a V6II and to put the receiver on the AD200's USB port. So you use the Godox trigger to remotelly control power and fire the AD200. I think it's the best combination.

Some Godox flahes can be controlled using a V6II as a receiver, for example the AD360IIC, but not the AD200, as it lacks a hotshoe.

Regards.
OK. I am back to my original thought and setup. Thanks for clarifying that.
I need the possibility to shoot HSS and change power setting on the fly instead of going back and forth.
I mainly need these functionality when shooting wedding portraits.
08-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Stack the Godox trigger

I'd also stack the Godox trigger on top of the Cactus V6 II. I' ve seen multiple posts on multiple sites that seem more intent on selling extra V6II' s than are actually required.

Also, remote power control is one of the reasons to get the Godox in the first place.

Note: I stack a Godox trigger currently on a Cactus V6II to trigger Godox Ving 850's in HSS on my K3. Haven't tried with my K1 yet though.
08-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dear mcgregni, Class A is right, I'm using the V6 as an optical slave. I'll share with you my sophisticated and highly portable HSS device .

I have my metz on PTTL HSS mode mounted on camera, pointing at left. On a flash bracket I have my V6 on RX optical slave mode (S2), so my metz if firing directly to the V6's photocell. On top of my V6 I put my FT-16 (or my RF605N). When I fire past the max sync, the V6 captures the PTTL HSS signal and fires the top trigger, that fires my AD360/AD200 or V850. Previously I put these flashes on HSS mode manually. It also works if I put my devices in normal mode at full power (1/1, 'powersync').

With the help of a flash bracked I can have all the elements in one 'piece'.

Compared to a single V6II is a bit outdated and annoying, but it works and it's... more or less ... portable.

Regards.
My event stack for the K1 was similar, but does not give me HSS, because my Cactus are V6. At this point, my K1 has a V6 on transmit with TTL pass through and a Pentax or Metz flash (diffused) in top, and each Godox providing ambient light has one of the other V6. This gives me PTTL for the faces, with a remote to set the power for the larger strobe bounced to keep shadows down. I can use a Sony body with Godox flash mounted on top to trigger at the same time. Adding an A200 would give me HSS and TTL for the Sony.

08-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My event stack for the K1 was similar, but does not give me HSS, because my Cactus are V6. At this point, my K1 has a V6 on transmit with TTL pass through and a Pentax or Metz flash (diffused) in top, and each Godox providing ambient light has one of the other V6. This gives me PTTL for the faces, with a remote to set the power for the larger strobe bounced to keep shadows down. I can use a Sony body with Godox flash mounted on top to trigger at the same time. Adding an A200 would give me HSS and TTL for the Sony.
I remember my old 'HSS device' . But I used it only for experiments at home. I bought a V6II some time after, and everything became simpler and smaller.
Your setup is similar to mine. I use a Metz PTTL flash on top on camera, then a trigger connected to the camera's sync port that controls up to 3 (now only Godox) flashes (I use a little flash bracked to hold this trigger). I also use a backup camera without flash but with another trigger and different lens. I use TTL just to fill.

So you have the V6 on camera, then a PTTL flash on top, passthrough on, and some other V6 as slaves controlling Godox flashes, right? Maybe a Godox trigger at hand, to change power if needed ?

I think your setup is great for controlling groups easily, using the big buttons of the V6. I was thinking on the Cactus for group control, but used the RF605 instead, cheaper . Of course, I don't have HSS with such setup, I need a different setup for HSS: my V6II + XT32, AD200 + XT16R, etc...

Regards.
08-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I remember my old 'HSS device' . But I used it only for experiments at home. I bought a V6II some time after, and everything became simpler and smaller.
Your setup is similar to mine. I use a Metz PTTL flash on top on camera, then a trigger connected to the camera's sync port that controls up to 3 (now only Godox) flashes (I use a little flash bracked to hold this trigger). I also use a backup camera without flash but with another trigger and different lens. I use TTL just to fill.

So you have the V6 on camera, then a PTTL flash on top, passthrough on, and some other V6 as slaves controlling Godox flashes, right? Maybe a Godox trigger at hand, to change power if needed ?

I think your setup is great for controlling groups easily, using the big buttons of the V6. I was thinking on the Cactus for group control, but used the RF605 instead, cheaper . Of course, I don't have HSS with such setup, I need a different setup for HSS: my V6II + XT32, AD200 + XT16R, etc...

Regards.
Exactly. I have the remote in my pocket to control the power on the Godox/Flashpoints with the P-TTL flash on top of the cactus or on a bracket. I was completely fine with that until the Sony remotes for Godox came out. With my E mount bodies, I can have it all (flash-wise), and I could get spoiled to the convenience.

I still prefer the results from the Pentax unless I am moving to the areas of a large room away from my bigger strobes. When the light is changing, full TTL may be the difference in getting a shot or not.
10-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yet another option that should work is to not add any trigger to the on-camera V6II, but connect another V6II or a V6 to the AD200 via a sync cable. On the AD200, disable wireless mode and manually engage HSS.

That might be a good solution for anyone who happens to have more than one V6II unit or has additional V6 units available. It is not a very cost-effective solution for anyone not having these units anyhow.
Hi. I'm having some issues getting HSS to work on my 645Z.

Here is my equipment:

• Pentax 645Z
  • Godox AD200
  • (2) Cactus V6II's (Firmware 1.1.012) One Cactus V6II is set to TX on the camera. The 2nd Cactus V6II is set to RX for the AD200.
  • 2.5 to 3.5mm cable to connect the V6II to 645Z (set to TX)
  • 3.5mm male-to-male cable to connect V6II to AD200 (set to RX)
Settings:
  • AD200 configured with no Wireless and with HSS On in Manual Mode.
  • Cactus V6II configured with "Manual" as Flash, "Pentax" as camera (set to Type 1 for 645Z) and "Power Sync" (for HSS).
  • Channel 1 set on both V6II units using the "A Button".
I can trigger the flash from the V6II TX to the V6II RX using the V6II TX trigger button and also trigger the flash with the camera. I do not get any syncing whatsoever (not even black bars). I've read through this post, but I've had no luck trying to get HSS to work. :-( Could somebody let me know if I'm overlooking any settings or is this a hardware issue?
10-30-2017, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Hello, it's a bit late here...
I think that you need to put your V6TX on the camera's hotshoe. The cactus needs to get the HSS signal, and it is not posible if you use the sync port. I suppose the 645z talks PTTL as the apsc bodies, and the HSS signal only is sent by the hotshoe, not the sync port AFAIK.
Could you try putting v6iitx on the hot shoe? configure it as Pentax camera, manual flah, power sync ... as you did. I tested a similar combinación using a k3-ii + v6ii -> ad200+v6.
Anyway, using the sync port should work for speds up to the sync speed, so i don't know why it's not working.
Hope this can help you, there is people on this forum that have MF cameras and succeded with HSS.
I don't have my v6ii firmw versión at hand.
10-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, it's a bit late here...
I think that you need to put your V6TX on the camera's hotshoe. The cactus needs to get the HSS signal, and it is not posible if you use the sync port. I suppose the 645z talks PTTL as the apsc bodies, and the HSS signal only is sent by the hotshoe, not the sync port AFAIK.
Could you try putting v6iitx on the hot shoe? configure it as Pentax camera, manual flah, power sync ... as you did. I tested a similar combinación using a k3-ii + v6ii -> ad200+v6.
Anyway, using the sync port should work for speds up to the sync speed, so i don't know why it's not working.
Hope this can help you, there is people on this forum that have MF cameras and succeded with HSS.
I don't have my v6ii firmw versión at hand.
Actually, it's the *body* that won't fire if the shutter speed is too high and a P-TTL capable flash in the hotshoe doesn't respond.

The Cactus emulates one.

10-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DonN Quote
Could somebody let me know if I'm overlooking any settings or is this a hardware issue?
Hi Don.

I believe if you follow post #33 you should have your answer. Post #33 is with a K1 rather than a 645Z but I believe he is correct in his set up.

You have no need for the extra Cactus V6 II, you only need one. It seems to be a common thread in some posts by Cactus to get people to buy additional receivers that aren't required. As Clackers has indicated, the single Cactus V6 II on the hotshoe is to trick the camera that a flash is mounted and allow a shutter speed above normal sync speed.

Howie Be
10-31-2017, 01:46 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DonN Quote
Could somebody let me know if I'm overlooking any settings or is this a hardware issue?
Morenjavi's post is right on the money.

The only thing I could add to it is that perhaps you have a delay value configured in the transmitter or receiver unit as, indeed, you should get a good triggering result for shutters speeds that do not exceed the sync-speed. For any higher shutter speeds, mount the V6II on the 645Z's hot-shoe and you should be fine.

You may want to check the firmware version of your V6II units. Normally, updating to the latest version provides the best results.

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
You have no need for the extra Cactus V6 II, you only need one.
That depends on how one wants to trigger the flash. A second V6II, to be used as a receiver, is the easiest option. A V6 as a receiver may also work. The alternative to use another trigger system (here, one from Godox) can work in certain circumstances, but certain Godox trigger and Godox flash combinations are known not to work in combination with a V6II unit that is purely used as an "HSS enabler".
10-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #45
Dgr

It might be that DonN has a Cactus set, but not FT16 and doesn't want to buy one. ADO180 had problems with HSS on receiver's hotshoe and you had to connect the receiver through the PC socket (if you were not stacking it with the FT16) for HSS to work. Maybe the 3,5mm port here is similar to ADO180's hotshoe and ADO200 can only get HSS through USB or from XT1?