Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Yongnuo Flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, there. I am planning to buy a Yongnuo Flash. Please tell me what is your opinion about this flahs?

04-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Malaya. I see from your profile that you use a K-3. Which model Yongnuo are looking at getting, and what type of flash photography do you want to do?
04-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #3

I have few YN-560 IV flashes, a YN560 TX commander and a couple of those small trigger thingies.

All working well with my K-50.
Commander is particular useful when you keep your flash in softbox. It is so much easier to adjust setting. I would say it is must have item.
I use triggers when I do not want this big bulky commander on my camera (commander can be mounted on one of those plastic flash stands. Both trigger and commander can be used in the same time).

I used this setup once outdoors and it worked fine although it is not waterproof.

It also works well with my Q10, although I do not have much use of it :-)

To state the obvious these are manual flash and exposure only. So either be prepared for some experimentation or get flash meter.
04-03-2017, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

If your goal is to have multiple off camera manual flashes controlled by a controller on your camera at a low cost, Yongnuo is a good way to go. They have had some issues with reliability though. I have recently moved from Yongnuo to Godox, because Godox has a more complete flash system, that is more integrated with each other. Yongnuo does allow you to control the flash zoom remotely where Godox does not.

Just be prepared with backup gear for Yongnuo. The prices are low enough where that is not too much of an issue.

04-03-2017, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you care about P-TTL

Yongnuo YN585EX Wireless Flash Speedlite P-TTL TTL for Pentax K3II KS2 K5IIS US | eBay

I have this one and I am surprised to see that it gives me better P-TTL results than the original Pentax AF-360FGZ-ii. I also like the fact that it has a diffuser AND a bounce card (bounce card is missing on Pentax version ii flashes). Like someone pointed out their quality may be a little inconsistent. I ordered 2 and 1 is perfect the other 1 although works well.. it has a lose contact inside that pops the flash at unintended times even if I haven't pressed the shutter. And the price is very likeable but it does not offer HSS if you cared.

If manual only there are a plethora of options on Amazon and ebay. All manufacturers are offering pretty much the same or ballpark flashes like VT560, TT560, Newer/Altura/Amazon Basics.. with different branding. Here is one.
amazon.com : Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Panasonic Olympus Pentax and Other DSLR Cameras&?tag=pentaxforums-20,Digital Cameras with Standard Hot Shoe : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

Get 2.4ghz remote triggers (1TX and 2 or more Rx depending upon how many flashes you are driving and use manual flashes with them). All have Optical Slave modes and have adjustable power levels (usually 8). ALl have diffusers and bounce cards.
04-09-2017, 03:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
i am planning to buy the latest model which is the 660. But there are review about this flash that are negative. Like the one that I have read about this flash that it can easily be damage, or you cant use it for a longer time since it cheap. Investing on this product is not quite wise. What can you say the reliability of this product. I am planning to buy two of this since it is not expensive and also like the technologies which you can use it remotely.
04-09-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I have some Yongnuo's and their triggers/controllers for another system. They are robust and reliable. They can be damaged by carelessness, just like any other camera gear, but otherwise their quality is OK.

You probably couldn't have said the same thing about Yongnuo flashes 5 or 6 years ago, but nowadays they seem to design and assemble them pretty well.

04-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I have some Yongnuo's and their triggers/controllers for another system. They are robust and reliable. They can be damaged by carelessness, just like any other camera gear, but otherwise their quality is OK.

You probably couldn't have said the same thing about Yongnuo flashes 5 or 6 years ago, but nowadays they seem to design and assemble them pretty well.
thank you Rawr for your replied. I am now starting to clear my doubt for this flash.
04-09-2017, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Malaya Quote
I am now starting to clear my doubt for this flash.
If it makes you feel more confident about the brand, I suspect that Yongnuo probably makes more flashes than anyone else in the world. They are everywhere.

Their whole flash system - flashes, triggers etc - is also quite extensive, and ever-expanding, which gives you lots of options.

Hopefully one day they will directly support Pentax HSS, and offer a radio trigger that works with P-TTL too. [Hopefully one day they will also improve their web-site].
05-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
If you care about P-TTL

Yongnuo YN585EX Wireless Flash Speedlite P-TTL TTL for Pentax K3II KS2 K5IIS US | eBay

I have this one and I am surprised to see that it gives me better P-TTL results than the original Pentax AF-360FGZ-ii. I also like the fact that it has a diffuser AND a bounce card (bounce card is missing on Pentax version ii flashes). Like someone pointed out their quality may be a little inconsistent. I ordered 2 and 1 is perfect the other 1 although works well.. it has a lose contact inside that pops the flash at unintended times even if I haven't pressed the shutter. And the price is very likeable but it does not offer HSS if you cared.

If manual only there are a plethora of options on Amazon and ebay. All manufacturers are offering pretty much the same or ballpark flashes like VT560, TT560, Newer/Altura/Amazon Basics.. with different branding. Here is one.
amazon.com : Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Panasonic Olympus Pentax and Other DSLR Cameras&?tag=pentaxforums-20,Digital Cameras with Standard Hot Shoe : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

Get 2.4ghz remote triggers (1TX and 2 or more Rx depending upon how many flashes you are driving and use manual flashes with them). All have Optical Slave modes and have adjustable power levels (usually 8). ALl have diffusers and bounce cards.
Hi I just ordered one. Will this flash work as a slave for my KS-2's built in flash? If so, what settings would I use?
05-18-2018, 12:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-S2 does not offer a Wireless Flash mode, so you cannot use the built in flash for Wireless P-TTL control. You would need to operate the Yongnuo flash as an "Optical Slave" in Manual mode, and you could trigger with the camera flash in Manual mode.

To gain any remote control over the flash output you would need to look to a radio trigger system.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-18-2018 at 02:16 AM.
05-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The K-S2 does not offer a Wireless Flash mode, so you cannot use the built in flash for Wireless P-TTL control. You would need to operate the Yongnuo flash as an "Optical Slave" in Manual mode, and you could trigger with the camera flash in Manual mode.

To gain any remote control over the flash output you would need to look to a radio trigger system.
Hmm... Did not find the wireless setting in the menu. But, since the chat person at Adorama said it would work with the KS-2 off camera, I went ahead and bought it off Amazon because they had it on backorder. So, is there a specific radio trigger I need to buy for this? Researching Amazon, I could only find triggers for Nikon or Canon Yongnuo flashes.Any guidance is appreciated. I am trying to learn macro photography but didn't want the ring flash and wanted something a little more versatile so I went with this hoping it would work off camera. Thanks again for your response.
05-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
Hi I just ordered one. Will this flash work as a slave for my KS-2's built in flash? If so, what settings would I use?
yes it will work as a slave for the built in KS-2 flash. It may not offer P-TTL however. So work your way into the exposures in manual mode.
05-18-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
If you care about P-TTL...

I have this one and I am surprised to see that it gives me better P-TTL results than the original Pentax AF-360FGZ-ii. ...
yes, same experience here. I picked up a YN585 to replace my broken AF540's and am impressed with the PTTL. Yes, it is cheaply made but for the price you can have redundant units. The light is a little cool so I keep a 1/4CTO gel on mine constantly. Menu is goofy, not very intuitive to me vs the Pentax layout, but I will eventually get used to it.
I grade the YN a B+
05-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think the Y585EX could reasonably be described as able to "work with the K-S2 off-camera", without some qualification. I think it is really only suited to on-camera working with the K-S2. For off-camera work you would be better off with a radio system where the receiver is built in to the flash. Perhaps the Yongnuo 560IV for manual mode, or Cactus V6II / RF60x for manual plus P-TTL and HSS.