Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Elinchrom Rotalux 70cm Deep Octa Grid Options

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, I invested into the Elinchrom system a few months ago with a D-lite RX4 kit and am now looking into the options regarding modifiers - specifically the 70cm deep Rotalux.

I know Elinchrom do not make a grid for this octa and have looked at the options including 'honeycomb grids' but their prices are a bit steep for just a grid. Does anyone know of any other third party alternatives that manufacture grids for the Rotalux octa, I did find this on ebay Grid Wabe Wabengitter für Elinchrom Rotalux Deep Octa 70cm (27.5") | eBay which seems reasonable...? Anyone got one or something similar?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a crappy grid on a €250 octa either, anyone with the deep rotalux find a solution anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Mac

04-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Geordie Mac Quote
I don't want a crappy grid on a €250 octa either, anyone with the deep rotalux find a solution anywhere?
I use Lighttools grids, I know, they are expensive. However they are very durable* and they provide a wide array of grid sizes**, you can get a 60° or 15° degree grid to suit your purposes for light control. To put a $50 grid on a $300 lightshaping tool is a travesty and a great way to hobble the quality of light from it. I took a look at the grid you found and it seems to be well made and may hold up to professional use, a 40° grid is a good place to start. I wish more manufacturers would provide grids with their lightshaping tools, they are essential for controlling light.

*I have been using mine for several years, and they still fit my softboxes tightly and hold the grid taught against the front scrim.
** they can even do custom grids, I own two: a 17° and a 28° set of grids made for a pair of custom made 28X135cm striplights.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-08-2017 at 06:48 AM.
04-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers Digitalis, many thanks for your input.

Mac