Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 03:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Starting to test Godox HSS with Cactus V6ii, HSS works in AV mode?

Hi all,

I am starting to test my fairly new Godox system in HSS mode using a Cactus V6ii on my K-5sii. It was my understanding that HSS would not work with the Camera in AV mode. In the tests that I just did, it seems to work fine in AV mode. I tried in both AV and M, and seems to work either way. I was under the impression from any reading that I had done that if the camera was in AV mode that the flash would not fire with a shutter speed faster than 1/180th. I thought I would have to use M mode. Maybe just PTTL HSS won't work in AV mode?

This was using either a Godox AD360, or a Godox V850ii.

04-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, that's right, Jake, you're not using P-TTL, you're firing a Godox HSS in Manual mode with a third party trigger in between, right?
04-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, that's right, Jake, you're not using P-TTL, you're firing a Godox HSS in Manual mode with a third party trigger in between, right?
Yes, Cactus V6ii in the K-5iis hotshoe, the Godox X-1T transmitter on top of that triggering the Godox flashes.
04-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Yes, Cactus V6ii in the K-5iis hotshoe, the Godox X-1T transmitter on top of that triggering the Godox flashes.
Yeah, I've ordered the AD360 II, XT16, Cactus V6ii combo.

04-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I am surprised by this, because my assumption has been that the V6II appears to the camera to be a P-TTL HSS flash, and so I expected the behaviour to be the same.

I know Av mode is favoured by some flash photographers, so it's good to know it's there with this configuration if wanted .... Are you saying you get good, stable, reliable ambient exposures then? Can you control it precisely and consistently with exposure compensations? What shutter speeds is your camera choosing, and do they remain fixed and stable for the duration of the session?
04-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I am surprised by this, because my assumption has been that the V6II appears to the camera to be a P-TTL HSS flash, and so I expected the behaviour to be the same.

I know Av mode is favoured by some flash photographers, so it's good to know it's there with this configuration if wanted .... Are you saying you get good, stable, reliable ambient exposures then? Can you control it precisely and consistently with exposure compensations? What shutter speeds is your camera choosing, and do they remain fixed and stable for the duration of the session?
I was also very surprised, I thought the same thing. Yes, I was getting good consistent ambient exposures, didn't try exposure compensation. It was just a quick test session. The camera chose all different SS based on the ambient, up to 1/4000.
04-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It wouldn't be much use unless you could take firm control of the ambient exposure with compensation, so it would be great if you could test this. It it was dependable then it adds to the control options available, so a plus for sure ....