Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K30 (Cactus V6ii) + Metz 52 AF-1 (Cactus V6ii) = HSS only ( 1/180+)

I haven't started but i have the same problem, it works fine with K-S2 but with K30 just above sync speed

Pentax K30 (V6ii) + Metz 52 AF-1 (V6ii) = HSS only?? - Cactus Community

update: It seems with K-S2 the metz it's AWLAYS in HSS mode even tohou I set Cactus as HSS of ... it flashed diffrently than full power on body/via flash button

update:
On Firmware V1.1.006 (Released on 02 Dec 2016) - Stock FW. The metz 52 worked at auto profile out of the box

Firmware V1.1.008 (Released on 16 Mar 2017) - the metz 52 doesn't fire in auto profile - but works fine with metz 50 profile - still no flash contribution under 1/180 aka sync speed

Last edited by AldaCZ; 04-14-2017 at 02:52 AM.
04-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have Metz 48 AF-1 and 58 AF1. I do not know why the lamps are triggered once, and after a while they are not and nothing changes. You can flash - by pressing the TX button. Even switching to HSS OFF does not change anything. I thought that upgrade to 1.1.08 something changed - some time everything worked beautifully - but after turning it off and on again to take pictures - I took one photo and the end ... stopped working. I checked the firmware version - and here is 1.1.06, I uploaded a new one - next 06 ... Lamps I chose Pentax and profile - auto. In addition - they stopped communicating at all!
I changed my channel - communication came back ... lottery?
I wait for the new soft 1.1.009 as it is supposed to be this week ... and how it will not work - 3 cactus come back to the store ...
04-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Firmware V1.1.008 (Released on 16 Mar 2017) - the metz 52 doesn't fire in auto profile - but works fine with metz 50 profile - still no flash contribution under 1/180 aka sync speed
Cactus have announced V1.1.009 that is supposed to fix the problems with Pentax. Until that one is released, I'm sticking with V1.1.006.
04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
I took one photo and the end ... stopped working.
To be honest, I have trouble understanding you fully but perhaps you want to check whether your V6II has contact issues in your camera's hot-shoe.

Have you tried to use a different unit as the camera trigger (Tx)?

Normally, once the V6II has established communication with the camera, it just keeps working. If things work for you and then suddenly stop working, I'm suspecting a bad hot-shoe fit and then potentially just touching the V6II when making adjustments can wreck the electrical contact. Shouldn't really happen with all three units, though, unless there is an issue with your camera's hot-shoe.

All I can say for sure is that your experience is definitely not normal.

04-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

I used Metz with footer K-1 and earlier with k-x, K10d, K-5, K-3II - never burn anything! In addition, after connecting, they only work for a few moments - I pushed 200 frames on k-1 trying different settings. Very chimeric action. As for electrical parts - I am a certified electrician myself and I do not think the electrical contacts have any problem. If it's something in software. My English is very weak (for 10 years I only learned Russian) so you may have a problem understanding me. For what I'm sorry.
04-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, one just cannot see whether all the pins make contact or not.

Have you tried using a different unit on the camera?

Although, I use a manual "Pentax" selection for the camera system selection myself, for trouble-shooting purposes it can be a good idea to select auto-detection and see whether your camera is recognised.

Remember to turn on the camera first and keep on tapping the shutter button (half-presses only) while you turn on the V6II on top of the camera.

If the unit stops working at some point, you can try to switch it off and then on again, checking whether it recognises the camera.
04-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also use your thumb to press the metal plate of the trigger into the hotshoe really hard, and turn the locking lever more firmly.....it goes around more than you first think!

04-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Although, I use a manual "Pentax" selection for the camera system selection myself, for trouble-shooting purposes it can be a good idea to select auto-detection and see whether your camera is recognised.

Remember to turn on the camera first and keep on tapping the shutter button (half-presses only) while you turn on the V6II on top of the camera.

If the unit stops working at some point, you can try to switch it off and then on again, checking whether it recognises the camera.

---------- Post added 04-25-17 at 09:37 AM ----------

If mine don't have good a contact, camera may shot as if a GPS unit is attached
04-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Forum Member

I noticed one regularity - how many times I turn off the cactus to turn it on again - it must be triggered manually by pressing the button in front. I have not encountered such problems in other triggers. Even cheap Phottixy when turned on are working right away. And interestingly - there are no such problems with cactus.
04-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #10
Forum Member

Yes, of course.
It looks as though the cactus, after some time (despite the power saving off) turned off anyway and stopped feeding the HSS signal to the camera. In manual mode the camera still gives 1 / 8000s but no synchronization anymore. It does not happen with the lights attached to the foot or by the dedicated cable, and only by the cactus.
And so is both with P-TTL HSS and with power sync.
I was thinking to leave one cactus for power sync with simple Phottix-but when he started to lose sync, I packed it and back to the store.

There was a question whether cactus recognizes the camera - so recognizes the camera and the lamp - with that no problem. Just something with stability in action. In general, it is quite complicated and there are no instructions in the Polish language, so it is not clear when and why some functions are included - although most I managed to master and understand.
04-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
It looks as though the cactus, after some time (despite the power saving off) turned off anyway and stopped feeding the HSS signal to the camera.
Interesting.

Perhaps there is a bug regarding the "SLEEP" functionality that turns the V6II off despite the "OFF" setting for sleeping. I'll pass it on to Cactus.

P.S.: I haven't been able to use my V6II a lot outside of initial experimentation. I know the V6 works perfectly fine for me and have not seen any major issues with the V6II but my lack of time spent with the V6II could very well mean that bugs like the above exist and I just haven't encountered them.

Last edited by Class A; 04-27-2017 at 08:49 AM.
05-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It works with Firmware V1.1.010