Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HSS confusion

So, i was shooting with a buddy of mine last weekend,

He was using a couple of godox lights and a X1n trigger. We were outside in the sun using a wide aperture and the godox for fill. (Now sure why we didn't use reflectors but i digress)

He let me borrow a spare trigger so we could both play arround. Couldn't get it to trigger until i had a brain fart moment and set my K3ii to X. Then all worked fine, but i had to step down to F11 for exposure. Not ideal for what we were doing, but it got me thinking.

So, Godox doesn't support pentax HSS. Could i put a cactus V6ii between the camera and the x1n to essentially enable hss on the godox stuff?

If yes, cool, but the shutter is fully open at 1/180 in pentax right? so any faster i would need to either strobe the lights, or keep the duration on longer right? is that all handled on the godox side?

I'm very new to all this flash stuff, i just have a single off camera flash, so if i'm asking dumb questions i'm really sorry.

04-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

In HSS, the flash has to provide the light for a longer time. The flash handles most of it. The camera has to be able to send to right signal to the flash and allows you to select a faster speed when it detects a flash is used. But this last part is a non issue with Pentax since all cameras support HSS (which isn't the case for all brands).

Can't tell you if it would work with cactus trigger.
04-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think there are a couple of recent threads right here on this forum page dealing with V6II and Godox matters. To add to what Carl has said, the V6II is needed to allow the Pentax DSLR to generate a flash trigger signal beyond max sync speed.

Whether you get 'real' HSS or have to use a 'hyper-sync' full power technique, depends on your strobe. You'll need a Godox model that allows manual engagement of its HSS mode. Others will be able to advise on what are suitable models, plus confirm the Godox triggers that will relay the flash signal from the V6II via radio to the strobe.
04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, just search for HSS in this forum. There are about 4 threads specifically regarding HSS and Godox. Here are a couple:
HSS With Pentax K-1+Cactus V6ii and Godox 360 - PentaxForums.com
Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Ving 850 Flash - Success - PentaxForums.com

04-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had found that first thread, helpful, but didn't really answer anything.

that second one though seems to confirm what i'm thinking. The cactus would essentially be acting as a translator from pentax to nikon(or canon)

I'll have to pick up one and give it a go, it would be really cool to at least attempt to play in the nikon flash system.
04-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That doesn't sound like what a Cactus trigger does. I can't see you bring able to use features of the Nikon flash system with a Pentax camera.

The promised firmware update in future, 'TTL Without Boundaries' should offer P-TTL metering and sync modes such as HS and 2nd Curtain with other brand flashes, but it won't produce Nikon/Canon specific flash features on a Pentax camera.

The camera system 'profiles' that are set on the Cactus Tx and Rx units are simply to ensure that the trigger can gain control over the particular flashes manual power levels, and flash head zoom.

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
04-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
but it won't produce Nikon/Canon specific flash features on a Pentax camera.
I'm not referring to specific features i suppose, i was more thinking that if all the flashes are set to manual power (or the power is set from the godox transmitter) that i can trigger them as though i had a nikon camera vs a pentax, or canon or whichever. I'm not expecting to see reliably working cross platform (p)-ttl anytime soon.
04-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That's been announced and promised by Cactus ....(although they didn't specifically say 'reliable', admittedly ! ) Pentax is not in the first release, but it's on the way. Exactly how you would go about controlling the TTL balancing of 2 or more flashes is not yet clear, but I believe that remote flash compensation settings should be available.

04-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
I had found that first thread, helpful, but didn't really answer anything.

that second one though seems to confirm what i'm thinking. The cactus would essentially be acting as a translator from pentax to nikon(or canon)

I'll have to pick up one and give it a go, it would be really cool to at least attempt to play in the nikon flash system.
I've now got a Cactus V6 II I can put on my hotshoe and another on a Godox AD360 ... it will do HSS, but manually, not P-TTL, which suits me just fine.
04-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had no success using the Godox X-1 trigger mounted in the hot shoe of the Cactus V6ii because it is specifically designed for Nikon or Canon. For HSS sync to work you will need to use the Godox X-16 transmitter mounted in the V6ii and the V6 firmware must be 1.1.06 to pass the HSS signal to the X-16 trigger...firmware 1.1.07 and 1.107 will not pass the signal to the X-18 trigger. Cactus V6ii Firmware Update 1.1.07 and 1.1.0.8 Problems-With HSS on Godox AD360 - PentaxForums.com
04-27-2017, 04:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I had no success using the Godox X-1 trigger mounted in the hot shoe of the Cactus V6ii because it is specifically designed for Nikon or Canon. For HSS sync to work you will need to use the Godox X-16 transmitter mounted in the V6ii and the V6 firmware must be 1.1.06 to pass the HSS signal to the X-16 trigger...firmware 1.1.07 and 1.107 will not pass the signal to the X-18 trigger. Cactus V6ii Firmware Update 1.1.07 and 1.1.0.8 Problems-With HSS on Godox AD360 - PentaxForums.com
I was able to do HSS with a Godox X-1C trigger mounted on a Cactus V6ii, with the X-1 triggering both a Godox V850ii and an XT16 Receiver attached to an AD360.
04-27-2017, 05:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
heh,
no wonder i'm confused.
I'm not all that worried about anything automatic, manual flash control is fine.

So, darryl was not able to get it to work vix the V6ii and X-1. But it was able to work with the V6ii and X-16

Jake was able to get it to work with the v6ii and X-1C

so, what's the difference? v6ii firmware? are there versions of the X1? does it come fdown to settings of the v6ii? is it a combination of the 3?

at any route, the cactus v6ii seems to be the key here between a pentax body and other flash systems correct?
04-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, the V6II is key to allowing the Pentax DSLRs to generate a flash trigger signal beyond max sync.

But when combined with other strobe and trigger systems, then what is achievable is dependent on the control options available with those other systems. Manual HSS engagement would seem to be a requirement, whereas if we use only Cactus triggers and P-TTL flashes then the switching in and out of HS sync is automatic. This is because the V6II uses some aspects of the P-TTL communication protocol to take control over the flashes.