Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 285HV (Pentax K-5 & Pentax K-70)

Hello:

I would like input as whether one can use a Vivitar 285HV on either the Pentax K-5 or Pentax K-70 without burning out either camera.

There is a video by someone that I reviewed and the person mentioned that the Vivitar 285HV could be safely used on the Pentax K-5 but not the Vivitar 283 or 285.

As I already have a Vivitar 285HV and not excited about having to pay $396.95 for a new Pentax AF360FGZ II from B&H Photo Video (used ones obviously are less expensive), I would like to know if anyone has successfully used the Vivitar 285HV on their K-5 and/or K-70. The Guide Number for the Vivitar 285HV is 120 and the Guide Number for the Pentax AF360FGZ II is 118.

If someone has used the Vivitar 285HV without any problems, is the procedure for using it any different than on a Pentax film camera? Any problem(s) using it?

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

05-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you see this review, which a Google search threw up .....? Vivitar 285HV Review | Popular Photography

It claims that the voltage is ok for modern DSLRs and gives a good run down on the operating processes.

It's a single pin flash, so no communication of settings information with the camera. You work the camera in Manual mode and set the appropriate aperture dependent on the selected 'vari' mode . So you have to keep well aware of all your settings to ensure good flash exposures. It has a Manual mode also with 5 power levels, 1/1 down to 1/16.

It sounds like a good solid unit. I have just started using my old AF280T again, sort of a similar thing (although it has the old TTL mode for the film cameras also), and it's actually rather enjoyable for someone who likes to juggle settings and keep a firm grip on things.....it's very satisfying to read off the required aperture on the printed scale, set that manually on an old lenses aperture ring, shoot, flash, and get a perfectly exposed image !
05-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 285HV is supposed to be the low voltage model for modern cameras. I've used the 283 model with a wein safe sync on all my Pentax Digi's without problems