Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #16

air remote frozen

Hi there,
thanks for the video.
Bought a v6ii last month with the 007 firmware.
Same setup as yours and the same results too.
Last week, nothing worked and the air remote got frozen, specially when i tried synching with the 2nd curtain (which never worked, does it work for you?).
Since then, I have a lot of misfires. When air remote is frozen I have to trigger it with the cactus button and sometimes it comes back.
tried with a second air remote canon and same happened. Downgraded to 006 and nothing changed.
Any idea why?
Maybe my cactus is not working properly.
thanks

06-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by diesal Quote
Downgraded to 006 and nothing changed.
What about trying to upgrade to V1.1.010?
06-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hi there,
thanks for the video.
Bought a v6ii last month with the 007 firmware.
Same setup as yours and the same results too.
Last week, nothing worked and the air remote got frozen, specially when i tried synching with the 2nd curtain (which never worked, does it work for you?).
Since then, I have a lot of misfires. When air remote is frozen I have to trigger it with the cactus button and sometimes it comes back.
tried with a second air remote canon and same happened. Downgraded to 006 and nothing changed.
Any idea why?
Maybe my cactus is not working properly.
thanks
So far, I am still on firmware 006. I have had serious issues with the latest one that is supposed to support the 645z.

Aside from the occasional pause problem, 006 works pretty well.

I am using the Profoto Canon trigger. Which trigger are you using?
06-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What about trying to upgrade to V1.1.010?
Same problem

06-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by dieseldave1976 Quote
So far, I am still on firmware 006. I have had serious issues with the latest one that is supposed to support the 645z.

Aside from the occasional pause problem, 006 works pretty well.

I am using the Profoto Canon trigger. Which trigger are you using?
I am using the Canon trigger as well.
I guess I will have to replace my cactus for a new one to see if the problem persists.
Because, as I mentioned, everything worked when I first bought it.

thanks,
06-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I guess I will have to replace my cactus for a new one to see if the problem persists.
Have you tried to go back to V1.1.004?
Have you tried a factory reset?

It seems unlikely to me that you are facing a hardware issue, so I'm sceptical that replacing the unit will change matters.

What trigger are you trying to use on top of the V6II?
Given that things initially worked, you should be able go get there again, with just the right configuration. A factory reset and a stepwise attempt at reproducing your initial configuration should get you there.
06-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #22

Have you tried to go back to V1.1.004?
Have you tried a factory reset?

It seems unlikely to me that you are facing a hardware issue, so I'm sceptical that replacing the unit will change matters.

What trigger are you trying to use on top of the V6II?
Given that things initially worked, you should be able go get there again, with just the right configuration. A factory reset and a stepwise attempt at reproducing your initial configuration should get you there.
So here am I again.

I did a reset (in my case goes back to 007 firmware)
camera system: pentax
flash system: canon
flash profile: auto canon
trigger above cactus: air remote ttl-c (canon)

After that had different results: a.) could fire HSS but not the 1st curtain (in case you dont know, there are three options to be set on the trigger:1st,2nd,hss)
2nd curtain never worked for me anyway.
then, turned everything off, had some lunch and came back to retry b.) could fire only the 1st curtain but no HSS this moment the batteries on the profoto trigger was almost empty. recharged the battery and c.) could fire hss in manual mode and 1st curtain only in TTL (even if it doesn't read ttl).

When changing between HSS and 1st in Manual mode I noticed that the shutter speed value in the camera changes. The options between 60th and 160th of a second do not show up, only when i change to TTL.

So that's where I am, downgraded to the 006 firmware and the results are the same.
HSS in manual mode and if I want to use the pentax sync speed or lower have to go TTL

11-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #23

No worries.

OK, I think that is a good one. You may want to try 1.1.004, if it is not too much effort for you, but I wouldn't really expect an improvement.

Yes, I've read that too and that's mainly why I asked. I would expect Cactus to further work on the firmware to iron out any issues that remain in V1.1.009, but we'll just have to see.

Too bad.

With some strobes, e.g., from Godox, you can manually activate HSS and then their system-specific trigger only needs a dumb center pin trigger event. Profoto's trigger appears to rely on communication with the "camera" (here the V6II).

The only other thing, I can think of, you could try is to change the Canon flash model setting. The standard setting should be "AUTO" in which case a generic profile will be applied. Potentially -- it might be better to ask Cactus first whether choosing any other option makes a difference at all -- choosing a specific Canon flash profile (say "580EX*") may improve the interaction between the V6II and the Profoto trigger. I wouldn't expect a difference, to be honest, but then again trying it wouldn't take too much time.
Can I use Profoto Air Sync (simple mode) l with Cactus and pentax K1?
Tnk
11-10-2017, 04:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gabriel Nedelcu Quote
Can I use Profoto Air Sync (simple mode) l with Cactus and pentax K1?
I don't know. People had success using the Air Remote to fire a B1, for instance, but the Air Sync could behave differently.

Perhaps someone on the Cactus Community forum would know?
11-10-2017, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #25

Hello,
Thank you . I bought a set of Cactus and it works perfectly in HSS. I'll try with an ASync soon.