QuoteOriginally posted by dieseldave1976 Quote
Here is my successful test:

Settings on Cactus V6II

TX mode
Camera system: Pentax
Flash system: Canon
Flash profile: Auto Canon

YouTube
Many thanks, Dave for sharing this. Looking promising. I am still not sure if this is real HSS, or just firing 1/1 using this "pass through" given by Cactus.

A model in front of the backdrop will help to see if exposure at f8 on it will remain constant, while ambient is going down on backdrop while you increase the shutter to a max 4000sec.

You make me look for a rental of B1/2 and try this with my K1 :-)

All the best!
05-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #3

Settings on Cactus V6II

TX mode

YouTube
Thanks for posting your results.
Good to see a work around for hss on the Z.
05-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriels Quote
I am still not sure if this is real HSS, or just firing 1/1 using this "pass through" given by Cactus.
Well, in the video dieseldave1976 says he is firing the B1s at 1/1.

However, the exposure looks too smooth to me in order for this to be a result of "Hyper Sync" (or "Power Sync" as Cactus call it).
I'd expect a gradation to be visible with such a uniform background.

The ultimate test, however, is to repeat the test with using 1/2 or 1/4 power. If the B1 do not truly go to HSS mode in this setup then one would definitely see that (in the form of black bars appearing).

05-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I didn't think the Profoto B1 could do HSS - it's why I've gone with a Godox.
05-07-2017, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #6

I think there was a firmware upgrade to the B1 to offer true HSS. D1 doesn't have it, but that's designed for use in the studio where it's not important.
05-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriels Quote
Many thanks, Dave for sharing this. Looking promising. I am still not sure if this is real HSS, or just firing 1/1 using this "pass through" given by Cactus.

A model in front of the backdrop will help to see if exposure at f8 on it will remain constant, while ambient is going down on backdrop while you increase the shutter to a max 4000sec.

You make me look for a rental of B1/2 and try this with my K1 :-)

All the best!
All of the sensor exposure in this test comes from the B1s. There is no ambient light exposing the sensor at 1/400 f/8 ISO 100. If you look at my misfire, when the B1s don't flash, it is a black exposure. The exposure in all test files is all flash, and no ambient light. I hope that helps you interpret the results. Let me know if you have other questions ☺
05-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well, in the video dieseldave1976 says he is firing the B1s at 1/1.

However, the exposure looks too smooth to me in order for this to be a result of "Hyper Sync" (or "Power Sync" as Cactus call it).
I'd expect a gradation to be visible with such a uniform background.

The ultimate test, however, is to repeat the test with using 1/2 or 1/4 power. If the B1 do not truly go to HSS mode in this setup then one would definitely see that (in the form of black bars appearing).
Yes, the B1s are in HSS mode, not normal mode. So they are using a true HSS strobe for the flash duration.

05-08-2017, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster

Settings on Cactus V6II

TX mode

YouTube
Here is test 02, including power settings 10, 09, 08, and 07 using shutter speeds 1/400, 1/800, 1/1600, and 1/4000

And download files:

www.carterphotographic.com/public/645z-B1-HSS-Test-2-JPG.zip

www.carterphotographic.com/public/645z-B1-HSS-Test-2-DNG.zip
05-08-2017, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update...
05-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Here is test 02, including power settings 10, 09, 08, and 07 using shutter speeds 1/400, 1/800, 1/1600, and 1/4000
Thanks for these! I was convinced before that you were running true HSS but it is reassuring to see that you get the same perfectly even exposure for lower power settings as well.

Regarding your "PAUSE" / "PRE-FLASH" issue, I suggest you try the following:
On the V6II, chose "NIKON" as the "FLASH SYSTEM". If that does not work, choosing "MANUAL" as the "FLASH SYSTEM" may be worth trying as well. However, the trigger stacking approach you are using works best with "NIKON". I believe there is a software issue that "MANUAL" is not the best choice, but that's a slightly different discussion.

I fully realise that "CANON" (your current setting for "FLASH SYSTEM") is, strictly speaking, the correct choice, but perhaps you'll be able to get rid off the current intermittent problems by treating the Profoto trigger as a dumb trigger.

My hypothesis is that each time you are getting a pre-flash (and as a result a black frame), the V6II is talking to the Profoto triggers as if the latter were a Canon flash. A Canon flash would have to issue a pre-flash for being able to follow with an HSS flash, so in a sense your "error situation" is probably representing what should ideally be happening every time. The fact that your error situation always occurs after a power change on the Profoto trigger further supports this hypothesis. It seems that in this situation, the Profoto remote is talking to the V6II and the latter recognises it as a Canon device that needs a pre-flash.

Just try the "NIKON" setting and see whether HSS still works and whether you are relieved of the intermittent failures. It all hinges upon whether or not the Profoto trigger can operate the strobes in HSS mode without "thinking" it sits on a Canon camera. Currently, the V6II is suggesting to the Profoto trigger that the latter is talking to a Canon camera and that may be necessary to activate HSS. However, if the Profoto trigger (or strobes) have a way of using HSS regardless then the "NIKON" choice on the V6II should work as well and probably with less issues.

Hope this will help you, I think it is definitely worth a try.
05-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

@dieseldave1976

BTW, what firmware version are you running on the V6II?

You can find out by pressing group buttons "A" & "D" while turning the V6II on. Make sure to not press any other buttons while attempting this. On later firmware versions, you can also find the firmware version in the V6II menu.

Whatever you do, I suggest you make a note of the version you are running right now. Depending on which one it is, it may be useful to try another one (you can up- and down-grade at will), but as things seem to be working pretty well for you right now, you'll want to make sure that you can always return to this state.
05-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@dieseldave1976

BTW, what firmware version are you running on the V6II?

You can find out by pressing group buttons "A" & "D" while turning the V6II on. Make sure to not press any other buttons while attempting this. On later firmware versions, you can also find the firmware version in the V6II menu.

Whatever you do, I suggest you make a note of the version you are running right now. Depending on which one it is, it may be useful to try another one (you can up- and down-grade at will), but as things seem to be working pretty well for you right now, you'll want to make sure that you can always return to this state.
Thank you for the information

Firmware version is 1.1.006

Darryl Lafferty commented that "I have recently encountered a problem with the HSS signal not passing through the with firmware 1.1.007 through 1.1.009. In order to get the signal through had to reload firmware 1.1.006."

I tried the Nikon and Manual flash system settings (then tried all flash system options), and Canon is the only flash system setting that pops the B1s through the Profoto Canon Transmitter in HSS.

So, my current configuration is the only one I have found to enable HSS on the B1 from the 645z using the Canon Transmitter.
05-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Thank you for the information
No worries.

Firmware version is 1.1.006
OK, I think that is a good one. You may want to try 1.1.004, if it is not too much effort for you, but I wouldn't really expect an improvement.

Darryl Lafferty commented that "I have recently encountered a problem with the HSS signal not passing through the with firmware 1.1.007 through 1.1.009. In order to get the signal through had to reload firmware 1.1.006."
Yes, I've read that too and that's mainly why I asked. I would expect Cactus to further work on the firmware to iron out any issues that remain in V1.1.009, but we'll just have to see.

I tried the Nikon and Manual flash system settings (then tried all flash system options), and Canon is the only flash system setting that pops the B1s through the Profoto Canon Transmitter in HSS.
Too bad.

With some strobes, e.g., from Godox, you can manually activate HSS and then their system-specific trigger only needs a dumb center pin trigger event. Profoto's trigger appears to rely on communication with the "camera" (here the V6II).

The only other thing, I can think of, you could try is to change the Canon flash model setting. The standard setting should be "AUTO" in which case a generic profile will be applied. Potentially -- it might be better to ask Cactus first whether choosing any other option makes a difference at all -- choosing a specific Canon flash profile (say "580EX*") may improve the interaction between the V6II and the Profoto trigger. I wouldn't expect a difference, to be honest, but then again trying it wouldn't take too much time.
05-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
I am currently working with Cactus on beta firmware, to get the V6II running smoothly with the 645z.