Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Malfunctioning AF 540 FGZ

Hi everyone, I have a 6-7 year old flash that I barely use. Never had leaking batteries left in the unit. However, recently I turned on my flash and all it does it make a clicking sound every second, the bulb never charges and I can not fire off a flash or test flash. Everything else on the unit works, the light, zoom, buttons, etc. But the red light under test never lights. Any ideas?

05-08-2017, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
is this the first generation with the red front panel or the second that is weather sealed and has a white front panel?

If its the first generation, a possible cause could be that the micro switch in the external power pack plug (under the rubber cover on the side opposite the battery door) has somehow become stuck or has failed making the flash "Think" there is a an external pack there when there is not. A possible remedy is to set the flash up to charge using both the external power pack and the the internal batteries and see if the flash will charge then. to do this follow the steps below or look at page 16 in the flash manual if you have it.

1. Slide the setting switch up (switch on the right side of the flash near "test/modeling" button)
2. Press the light/format button for 2 seconds or more (sl1 or sl2 will be displayed)
3. press the mode button twice (PP1 charge using only external batteries, or PP2 charge using both external and internal batteries will be displayed)
4. Press select button to until PP2 is displayed
5. Press light/format to confirm and return to normal display.

If this doesn't work, there may be larger problems at play than the micro switch. It could be that the capacitor, or control board has failed. Both can be replaced however, its a little dangerous and not really recommended unless you are comfortable working around high voltage circuits.
05-09-2017, 03:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow.... you guys are awesome. It was a first generation, and I followed the instructions as you wrote to s change the settings and whammo! My flash is back! Thank you guys so much!!!
05-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to hear it and a belated welcome to the forums!

05-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A great troubleshooting tip, thanks for that w.j !