Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #1

Sekonic Flashmate L-308B

I acquired a Sekonic Flashmate L-308B "accidentally", is it any good ? The display came on when I put new batteries in it, so far so good.

I have no clue how to use it, I have searched for a manual and have found several for the "L-308B II" but not the "L-308B", are they actually the same thing?

05-14-2017, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
I acquired a Sekonic Flashmate L-308B "accidentally", is it any good ? The display came on when I put new batteries in it, so far so good.

I have no clue how to use it, I have searched for a manual and have found several for the "L-308B II" but not the "L-308B", are they actually the same thing?
I have a 308s I am not sure if B is different model or functionality though?

It's a "shutter priority" device. You first set your ISO (like film days), then set your shutter speed, press the calculate button, it will give you proper aperture.

The only use of it for me is "Incident light metering" for studio or portraits. Other than that, the other half of the feature "reflective" light meter, your camera already built in one.

This device is useful if you are using medium or large format with no built in light meters. Or even old film 135 with no light meters. Other than that, you might get "some-what accurate" reading with iphone app already. There is very little need for a handheld light meter like this one because it doesn't do flash sync nor other advance features.
05-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I do have a few 35mm without light meters which I have not tried out yet so may be useful !
05-14-2017, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The L-308 Flashmate is the original model followed by minor revisions L-308B in 1994 and L-308B II in 1996. The B models have improved sensitivity and can measure down to 0EV. The B II model is exactly the same as the B model but includes the Lumidisc accessory which is used for illuminometer mode or to measure light contrast.

Sekonic L-308 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

05-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, sounds like I can use the 308B II manual instead.